Looking at top 5 picks since 2004...

dayman

Ok...below I've pasted the top 5 picks since '04 and their 2010 stats (for the front 7 D players...do your own homework for the offensive players and DBs) as well as the Bills stuff. I'm not entirely sure which of the stats reflect today or not...the point is to generally look at the impact anyway. AND...yes they only are stats and don't tell the whole story. BUT...it's helpful to look at. (also...forgive the formatting but c'mon obviously however it pastes is how I'm leaving it...)

Some Bills stats I found (IDK if they include today or what so...)

Kyle Williams - 74 tackles (52 solo) and 6 sacks

Poz - 139 tackles (95 solo) and 2 sacks

Kelsay -

TACK SOLO FF INT SACK

63 39 1 0 3.5

Stroud -

TACK SOLO FF INT SACK

47 28 1 0 3.0

Akin Ayodele -

TACK SOLO FF INT SACK

93 53 2 0 0.0

Arthur "don't cross thee" Moats -

TACK SOLO FF INT SACK

28 16 1 0 2.5

Spencer Johnson - 47 tackles (34 solo) and one sack

1 Sam Bradford Rams QB Oklahoma

2 Ndamukong Suh Lions DT Nebraska

TACK SOLO FF INT SACK

60 45 1 1 9.0

3 Gerald McCoy Buccaneers DT Oklahoma

TACK SOLO FF INT SACK

28 22 2 0 3.0

4 Trent Williams Redskins T Oklahoma

5 Eric Berry Chiefs DB Tennessee

1 Matthew Stafford Lions QB Georgia

2 Jason Smith Rams T Baylor

3 Tyson Jackson Chiefs DE Louisiana State

TACK SOLO FF INT SACK

27 18 0 0 1.0

4 Aaron Curry Seahawks LB Wake Forest

TACK SOLO FF INT SACK

73 60 2 0 3.5

5 Mark Sanchez Jets QB USC

1 Jake Long Dolphins T Michigan

2 Chris Long Rams DE Virginia

TACK SOLO FF INT SACK

28 25 3 0 8.5

3 Matt Ryan Falcons QB Boston College

4 Darren McFadden Raiders RB Arkansas

5 Glenn Dorsey Chiefs DT Louisiana State

60 tckles...47 solo...1.5 sacks..

1 JaMarcus Russell Raiders QB Louisiana State

2 Calvin Johnson Lions WR Georgia Tech

3 Joe Thomas Browns T Wisconsin

4 Gaines Adams Buccaneers DE Clemson

2009 stats b/c he died b4 this season: 17 tckles...`12 solo...1 stat

5 Levi Brown Cardinals T Penn State

1 Mario Williams Texans DE North Carolina State

TACK SOLO FF INT SACK

28 22 1 0 8.5

2 Reggie Bush Saints RB USC

3 Vince Young Titans QB Texas

4 D'Brickashaw Ferguson Jets T Virginia

5 A.J. Hawk Packers LB Ohio State

TACK SOLO FF INT SACK

100 63 0 3 0.0

1 Alex D. Smith 49ers QB Utah

2 Ronnie Brown Dolphins RB Auburn

3 Braylon Edwards Browns WR Michigan

4 Cedric Benson Bears RB Texas

5 Cadillac Williams Buccaneers RB Auburn

1 Eli Manning Chargers QB Mississippi

2 Robert Gallery Raiders T Iowa

3 Larry Fitzgerald Cardinals WR Pittsburgh

4 Philip Rivers Giants QB North Carolina State

5 Sean Taylor Redskins DB Miami (FL)

So...to me...in terms of real impact from a glance at just these stats it seems to be about 50/50 for front 7 guys. Plenty of guys in there with respectable sack #s and some tackles but others that really don't seem to be having a huge impact. Anyway 50/50 seems like good odds for our first round picks to me...I'd take it but it's not like we are guaranteed a great or even good player. Tough business pulling yourself out of the depths of defensive hell. And that's assuming that's what we try and do....we may just sit in it for a while longer...

Thoughts?

This exercise has so many flaws I won't even get into it. I will just say that after the combine and scouting and vetting, interviews, etc. there always seems to be about 2-3 elite talents apparent in the draft and obviously some sleepers and diamonds in the rough that develop but check out the Top 3 in the past ten years. There are barely any busts in the top 3 that aren't QB's...name which guys in the Top 3 that you wouldn't take on the Bills?

This exercise has so many flaws I won't even get into it. I will just say that after the combine and scouting and vetting, interviews, etc. there always seems to be about 2-3 elite talents apparent in the draft and obviously some sleepers and diamonds in the rough that develop but check out the Top 3 in the past ten years. There are barely any busts in the top 3 that aren't QB's...name which guys in the Top 3 that you wouldn't take on the Bills?

IDK I don't follow every ****ty team that picks top 5 a lot but I'm still seeing some guys I wouldn't like on our team in top 3. Tyson Jackson, JaMarcus, Vince Young, Alex Smith...there are some other guys I'm not sure who they are.

Anyone...I agree this has flaws to point is to just look at the names (w/ help from the stats) and realize it's still a crap shoot. That said 50/50 is odds I'd take for the Bills. Better odds than we've had in the past the way we pick. Either way...these are the guys that have gone top 5 since '04...it's a damn good list...but it's not some all world list...and if I did up one for 6-10 I'm not sure it would be any worse or better....

IDK I don't follow every ****ty team that picks top 5 a lot but I'm still seeing some guys I wouldn't like on our team in top 3. Tyson Jackson, JaMarcus, Vince Young, Alex Smith...there are some other guys I'm not sure who they are.

Anyone...I agree this has flaws to point is to just look at the names (w/ help from the stats) and realize it's still a crap shoot. That said 50/50 is odds I'd take for the Bills. Better odds than we've had in the past the way we pick. Either way...these are the guys that have gone top 5 since '04...it's a damn good list...but it's not some all world list...and if I did up one for 6-10 I'm not sure it would be any worse or better....

The draft is most certainly NOT a crapshoot. I hate that line more than anything else.

There is a reason the Bills cannot draft. It’s the same reason that the Lions under Millon couldn’t and the same reason they can now. This reason allows the Pats/Steelers/Ravens to draft well every single year with a much higher success rate than the Bills/Browns/other crap teams. The reason isn’t luck either, its skill. Evaluating players is a skill, and just like the Pats/Steelers/Ravens have the best players on the football field they also have the best talent evaluators in the film room. The OP pointed out that guys like Tyson Jackson didn’t really pan out… well no sh*t the guy wasn’t very good before the draft either. Do you think we are just unlucky, and that’s the reason we passed on Ngata just to trade up for McCargo? If you think it’s a crapshoot then you must think McCargo was just as likely to turn into the best DT in the league – because that’s what Ngata is. I’ll give you a hint – McCargo always sucked and Ngata was always good and the Bills just cannot see the difference, while the Ravens laughed their way to the bank.

I’m sorry but if anyone is surprised that J. Russell and A. Smith didn’t pan out then you are a straight up retard when it comes to football. If you are surprised that Maybin is so terrible then you are comatose – because he was just as freaking bad in college. He is literally the exact player I expected, I said he would be outta the league in 3 years when we drafted him, and was completely dumbfounded when we went before much more talented guys who fell to the 3rd. Meanwhile Orakpo is dominate – just like he was on college – and I predicted him to get 10+ sacks his rookie year and make the probowl – wow that was hard to see wasn’t it? That is not a “crapshoot” and that was 100% blatantly obvious to anyone with a pulse and cable television.

I will say not everything is set in stone. It’s hard to predict injuries which ruin careers, or judge a guys work ethic or how much drive he has left in the tank (like that RB from Bama/SF who up and retired after 1 season). But it’s not hard in the least to watch a guy play in college and predict how those players skills will project to the NFL. And that is what the Bill just suck at.

Here are some other Nostradamus Esq “predictions” for 2011.

- Ryan Mallet Stinks. I bet he doesn’t declare bc that NFL prediction board will give him a 2nd-3rd round grade. If he does declare, the Bills will prob take him at 3 because they can’t draft and don’t know what they are doing. They will then be surprised when he sucks. Mallet should not be touched until the 3rd at the earliest and will never be an above average starter – ever.

- Locker is so freaking bad its mind numbing. I would bet my testicles that the Pats don’t even have him on their draft board – at ALL. He wasn’t good last year either – so despite what idiot McShay says he was never being considered a top selection by the teams that are good at drafting. I won’t say anything about the sh*t teams because we all know how sh*tting they can be. He shouldn’t even be drafted – in any round. Welcome to the world of Jevon Snead Mr. Locker.

- Nate Soldier, a guy being touted by some as the drafts best T, sucks. It’s obvious that anyone who thinks he is the drafts best T doesnt know anything about anything. He will never even get a chance to play LT because he simply cannot play LT in college and it’s not going to get any easier. I wouldn’t even trust this POS to play back up G for my team.

- James Carpenter is the LT for Bama, but projects more to G or maybe RT for a bad team like us. This kid will get drafted by a good team that knows what they are doing, but the selection will be viewed as a “reach” by the 8th grade wienies that run draft sites and McShay. My bet is he goes to a physical running team like the Ravens or Steelers. This guy is strong, physical, and tough. He plays with good technique, and it’s obvious that he is an NFL talent. He is gonna be a late rounder who plays a long time in the NFL and it won’t be a crapshoot when it happens.

I guess I kinda forgot that this thread was mainly about DLman and how they will produce in the NFL, so here we go.

Fairly>Dareus. Fairly is much stronger and meanier and it shows. He doesn’t seems to be as quick but that’s fine with me as stouter is better. Just look at Suh v McCoy last year. Suh was the physcal beast that can dominate on any level. McCoy is a bit weaker and his speed was nuetralized. Dareus has one obviously flaw that I have seen and its shedding blocks once he is engaged. This could haunt him at the next level because he wont be able to fly around or between people like he does for Bama. This is the same obvious weakness Maybin had just to a much lesser degree.

Bowers is a game changer too. People think of him as a 43 DE only and a pure pass rusher but his strength is obviously his rush defense. He could play in a “true” 43 as a big 2 gap DE like the Raiders use, but I think he would be at his best in a 3-4 playing DE. He is not too small to do this he is 6’4’’ 285+ with the frame to add30lbs if he wanted. Quinn looks really Demacuse Ware esq but I havent seen him live so I cant form any real opinion on him. Claiborne is awesome ut out of shape and I don’t like out of shape players. He could easily bust and eat himself out of the league, which will be hard to predict.

The draft is most certainly NOT a crapshoot. I hate that line more than anything else.

There is a reason the Bills cannot draft. It’s the same reason that the Lions under Millon couldn’t and the same reason they can now. This reason allows the Pats/Steelers/Ravens to draft well every single year with a much higher success rate than the Bills/Browns/other crap teams. The reason isn’t luck either, its skill. Evaluating players is a skill, and just like the Pats/Steelers/Ravens have the best players on the football field they also have the best talent evaluators in the film room. The OP pointed out that guys like Tyson Jackson didn’t really pan out… well no sh*t the guy wasn’t very good before the draft either. Do you think we are just unlucky, and that’s the reason we passed on Ngata just to trade up for McCargo? If you think it’s a crapshoot then you must think McCargo was just as likely to turn into the best DT in the league – because that’s what Ngata is. I’ll give you a hint – McCargo always sucked and Ngata was always good and the Bills just cannot see the difference, while the Ravens laughed their way to the bank.

I’m sorry but if anyone is surprised that J. Russell and A. Smith didn’t pan out then you are a straight up retard when it comes to football. If you are surprised that Maybin is so terrible then you are comatose – because he was just as freaking bad in college. He is literally the exact player I expected, I said he would be outta the league in 3 years when we drafted him, and was completely dumbfounded when we went before much more talented guys who fell to the 3rd. Meanwhile Orakpo is dominate – just like he was on college – and I predicted him to get 10+ sacks his rookie year and make the probowl – wow that was hard to see wasn’t it? That is not a “crapshoot” and that was 100% blatantly obvious to anyone with a pulse and cable television.

I will say not everything is set in stone. It’s hard to predict injuries which ruin careers, or judge a guys work ethic or how much drive he has left in the tank (like that RB from Bama/SF who up and retired after 1 season). But it’s not hard in the least to watch a guy play in college and predict how those players skills will project to the NFL. And that is what the Bill just suck at.

- Ryan Mallet Stinks. I bet he doesn’t declare bc that NFL prediction board will give him a 2nd-3rd round grade. If he does declare, the Bills will prob take him at 3 because they can’t draft and don’t know what they are doing. They will then be surprised when he sucks. Mallet should not be touched until the 3rd at the earliest and will never be an above average starter – ever.

- Locker is so freaking bad its mind numbing. I would bet my testicles that the Pats don’t even have him on their draft board – at ALL. He wasn’t good last year either – so despite what idiot McShay says he was never being considered a top selection by the teams that are good at drafting. I won’t say anything about the sh*t teams because we all know how sh*tting they can be. He shouldn’t even be drafted – in any round. Welcome to the world of Jevon Snead Mr. Locker.

- Nate Soldier, a guy being touted by some as the drafts best T, sucks. It’s obvious that anyone who thinks he is the drafts best T doesnt know anything about anything. He will never even get a chance to play LT because he simply cannot play LT in college and it’s not going to get any easier. I wouldn’t even trust this POS to play back up G for my team.

- James Carpenter is the LT for Bama, but projects more to G or maybe RT for a bad team like us. This kid will get drafted by a good team that knows what they are doing, but the selection will be viewed as a “reach” by the 8th grade wienies that run draft sites and McShay. My bet is he goes to a physical running team like the Ravens or Steelers. This guy is strong, physical, and tough. He plays with good technique, and it’s obvious that he is an NFL talent. He is gonna be a late rounder who plays a long time in the NFL and it won’t be a crapshoot when it happens.

I totaly agree its not a crap shoot..Your point is right on!

Personally, I'm still very much in the mindset that we're a good 3 years away from being a playoff team. So many fans like to think that this draft is going to make us a lot better, but I don't see it. We've got huge holes on both sides of the ball. We need a franchise QB. We need an O line and a D line. We need linebackers. Unless Ralph and Co. sell their souls to the devil, it ain't happening in this draft. I don't know why everyone is so gunshy about Cam Newton. He's huge. He has an accurate arm and an NFL delivery. And he's mobile. If you're looking at a pocket passer, you better add WR to the gaping holes, as well. If they hit a home run at any one of those positions in need, I'll be happy. It's a long-term investment. Drafting "for next year" is precisely why we haven't made the playoffs in 11 years. Time to do it right.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying but question and a point:

Q: Is anyone aware of any comprehensive scorecarding/benchmarking of draft success that any site keeps? I would love to see stats on this. How much better are the Pats/Ravens/Steelers than the rest of the league? and so forth

Point: My biggest problem with anyone saying that "we should have never picked xxx, it was obvious that he would be a bust" is that nobody really knows that. If the guy wasn't picked where he was picked, someone else would have selected him with the next 5-10 picks. That is true for just about anyone. If the Bills didn't pick Maybin at 11, he would have been picked before 20 by somebody. If the Bills didn't trade up to get JP Losman, the Packers would likely have picked him a couple slots later. If the Bills didn't pick Mike Williams at 4 and selected Bryant McKinnie, the Vikings probably would have taken Williams at #7.

Nearly all of these players would be the same bust that they were with the Bills. Its not like if Maybin wasn't picked at #11, then he would have become a 5th round pick. These players are scouted, rated and evaluated to death by the entire league and the top 1-2 rounds land pretty close to where they were picked, its just a matter of who gets the bust. So we could have picked Clay Matthews or Brian Orakpo last year instead and he would be a hit. The Redskins or Packers pick them maybe would have sucked and we'd be saying they can't draft.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying but question and a point:

Q: Is anyone aware of any comprehensive scorecarding/benchmarking of draft success that any site keeps? I would love to see stats on this. How much better are the Pats/Ravens/Steelers than the rest of the league? and so forth

Point: My biggest problem with anyone saying that "we should have never picked xxx, it was obvious that he would be a bust" is that nobody really knows that. If the guy wasn't picked where he was picked, someone else would have selected him with the next 5-10 picks. That is true for just about anyone. If the Bills didn't pick Maybin at 11, he would have been picked before 20 by somebody. If the Bills didn't trade up to get JP Losman, the Packers would likely have picked him a couple slots later. If the Bills didn't pick Mike Williams at 4 and selected Bryant McKinnie, the Vikings probably would have taken Williams at #7.

Nearly all of these players would be the same bust that they were with the Bills. Its not like if Maybin wasn't picked at #11, then he would have become a 5th round pick. These players are scouted, rated and evaluated to death by the entire league and the top 1-2 rounds land pretty close to where they were picked, its just a matter of who gets the bust. So we could have picked Clay Matthews or Brian Orakpo last year instead and he would be a hit. The Redskins or Packers pick them maybe would have sucked and we'd be saying they can't draft.

You are being just as guilty as all of the bad teams cage! You are assuming that if the Bills hadn’t drafted Maybin then another team would have taken him shortly after – which may be true, but who the heck cares? Does that mean he was actually worth the 11th overall pick – heck no! His play has proven that he was terrible value. And guess what, a lot of teams knew he was going to stink BEFORE he actually stunk (although IMO he always stunk even in colege). A good team with good scouts would NOT have taken him. He wouldn’t have fallen to the 5th round ONLY BECAUSE SO MANY BAD SCOUTING DEPARTMENTS EXIST. Good scouting departments wouldn’t have taken him because they knew he wasn’t worth that selection and that he was going to stink. How could they have possibly known that you ask? Its simple…. Its because they are good! They didn’t buy the hype, they could see he was physically weak, they could see he had no insticts, they could see he couldn’t get off a block to save his life, they could see he was a scrawney little girl, they could see all those things… which exo-facto makes them a good team/scouts. Only bad teams, and stupid pundits in the media and 8th graders running a draft site thought Maybin was good. The good team with good scouts knew not to take him because they are good at their jobs. It’s a self fullfilling proficy really. You are good if you make good decisions. Luck has almost nothing to do with it.

And quite contrary to what you state, I DID know with every ounce of me that Maybin was going to be a collassel bust. I knew it to the fullest degree you can know something about a draft pick. Its not just pure happenstance that he turned into the worst draft pick of my lifetime, I saw it coming from a mile away. Now, how likely is it that a player that epically bad is going to succeed in the NFL?

Edited by Thoner7

B/c of the absolutely retarded limitations of this forum as far as number of media files and/or quotes in a given post this split up over multiple posts...

I guess I kinda forgot that this thread was mainly about DLman and how they will produce in the NFL, so here we go.

Fairly>Dareus. Fairly is much stronger and meanier and it shows. He doesn’t seems to be as quick but that’s fine with me as stouter is better. Just look at Suh v McCoy last year. Suh was the physcal beast that can dominate on any level. McCoy is a bit weaker and his speed was nuetralized. Dareus has one obviously flaw that I have seen and its shedding blocks once he is engaged. This could haunt him at the next level because he wont be able to fly around or between people like he does for Bama. This is the same obvious weakness Maybin had just to a much lesser degree.

Bowers is a game changer too. People think of him as a 43 DE only and a pure pass rusher but his strength is obviously his rush defense. He could play in a “true” 43 as a big 2 gap DE like the Raiders use, but I think he would be at his best in a 3-4 playing DE. He is not too small to do this he is 6’4’’ 285+ with the frame to add30lbs if he wanted. Quinn looks really Demacuse Ware esq but I havent seen him live so I cant form any real opinion on him. Claiborne is awesome ut out of shape and I don’t like out of shape players. He could easily bust and eat himself out of the league, which will be hard to predict.

So we have:

Nick Fairley 6'5 300lber out of Auburn (DT)

Edited by dayman

Your draft analysis and perspective on the draft process is one of the best postings I have seen on this board. It is exceptional commentary. :thumbsup:

It is amusing how a large faction on this board still believe that the Bills are on the verge of something special. The Bills are multi-years away from being competitive because of their decade of futility in drafting. What is remarkable is not that there are teams that consistently draft well, so much as how badly the Bills have been drafting for so long.

http://video.buffalonews.com/player/?id=2216

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-billswrapup

I looked at all the clips here on DE and Bowers looks like the best by far.

He's also playing in the ACC, while Fairley and Dareus are both in the SEC. Not sure if it makes a huge difference in their performance/highlights. But it's something to keep in mind.

From watching the vids, most of the Bowers clips are against North Texas and NCSU, whereas Fairley is performing against LSU, Miss ST, etc.

Just an observation

Edited by DrDankenstein

He's also playing in the ACC, while Fairley and Dareus are both in the SEC. Not sure if it makes a huge difference in their performance/highlights. But it's something to keep in mind.

From watching the vids, most of the Bowers clips are against North Texas and NCSU, whereas Fairley is performing against LSU, Miss ST, etc.

Just an observation

Yeah, Quinn looks like someone we need to stay away from. Wide loops to the QB speed rushing the likes of Duke and Virginia...Maybin 2.0 if you ask me.

Not as much stuff on Dareus as I'd like there to watch...Fairley looks great. I could get excited about him. He looks the best to me. Bowers looks better than Quinn but I wouldn't say I'm completely sold. Fairley looks like he could have an impact immediately. Stick him next to Kyle Williams....then w/ the second and third round continue to take LBs...