The First Thing We Need

whodat

The first thing,

We need a competent and creative defensive coordinator that demands accountability.

One who puts his players in position to succeed. League interception leader and rookie of the year candidate Byrd is without an interception and mostly chasing plays. Paluzney is less than average. Stroud is no longer a key contributor. Do we see any strong defensive rookie play this year?

When Paluzney cannot cover an old and fat te Alge Crumpler we a problem in scheme and player

When Gronkowski can go uncovered in the red zone, we have a serious problem in scheme and focus.

Team was defeated going into halftime.

Sorry Fitz but after that game if Cam Newton is there I take him before you can blink an eye.

Edited by whodat

Jesus isnt a word its a name. I find it disrespectfull used in the way you did. But you probably dont know any better

Know any better?

You mean I shouldn't have disrespected the Christ Almighty? Meh, from what I hear he's a pretty forgiving guy. I'm sure he'll get over it.

Yes. Indeed. It was particularly frustrating seeing our defense throw 3 interceptions and give away 4 fumbles, and for that DC George Edwards should be fired immediately! :rolleyes::wacko::doh::wallbash:

As the mad scramble for blame begins... so I will add my rambling thoughts.

Criminey, we let NE dictate whether or not we run. We go empty-backfield/spread-offense as soon as they go 7-man front - it used to be an axiom in football that you keep doing something till a team proves they can stop you. On a team that specializes on creating pressure and getting turnovers we basically tell them we dare you to come after our QB (Fitz and our offense are better than they were, but they are not that good yet)... Fitz was terrible protecting the ball, but NE makes offenses feel they HAVE to score to keep up. Still, he made some terrible decisions today with the ball and forced our D into bad situations. 7 turnovers - fail. This team needs to really focus on protecting the ball, that has been an issue all year Offense and Special Teams.

Moorman pooch-kicks the ball so our D is defending deep in our own zone... NE gets touchdowns and when we did get down into the red zone we couldn't pick up a TD.

Chan was outcoached today. Team was not focused and appeared to be reaching and struggling waaay too early. Muchof that falls on how Gailey reacted to what NE was doing. Even before the game got out of hand, this Bill's team looked like they were desparate, like the game was out of hand and it was late in the fourth quarter, but that was early in the 1st quarter... that's coaching - or lack thereof and Chan should be honest enough to take the heat for that. Should have stuck with the run to keep the pressure off of Fitz and to give our defense a breather. Also, we needed to slow the game down and keep the NE offense off the field as long as possible.

Our O-line saw a clinic of how you protect a QB, but it helps that NE dares you to blitz anyone and they will make you pay. The NE O-Line rarely has to worry about protection schemes getting overloaded when teams are too nervous to send blitzes their way.

It would be interesting to see how well Brady would play if he was not able to stand back in a pocket for 6 seconds surveying the field - but he can. I don't know what we have to have on Defense to change that. To beat the Patriots we need to be able to bring pressure up the middle to collapse the pocket. We have no pass rush to speak of unless we are playing a team whose offense allows us to cheat guys up to the line and overload the protections because we can disguise what we are doing, but against a good team with a veteran QB we get torn up. We do not have anyone that can cover any decent tight ends - that has not changed all year.

Not too down on our "D", but it is obvious that we have many of the same issues on "D" that we had earlier in the year. They really get exposed when going up against better teams with veteran QBs where we cannot afford to blitz. Against teams with average or poor offenses they have been able to cover for the areas where they are weak.

We have defensive needs, but I keep wondering what kind of message Chan sends our O-Line when we consistently go empty-backfield down in our red-zone. Not exactly a vote of confidence in the ability of our O-line to run block when it matters.

Edited by ColdBlueNorth