dear NFL

frogger

Meanwhile Oakland has it's 7th blackout of the season.

PTR

Why again does the San Francisco metropolitan area need 2 teams? NYC is the only metro area that should have 2.

Move the Raiders to LA, Jags to Toronto, and keep everyone else where they are already. Then we can stop talking about relocation nonsense.

Edited by Internet Tough Guy

Why again does the San Francisco metropolitan area need 2 teams? NYC is the only metro area that should have 2.

Move the Raiders to LA, Jags to Toronto, and keep everyone else where they are already. Then we can stop talking about relocation nonsense.

Why should the NFL move a team to Toronto? They have yet to demonstrate they can support a team. They sure do a poor job supporting their CFL team and the experiment with the Bills hasn't exactly been a success. I think a team in Toronto is a fantasy for the foreseeable future.

A dome or retractable roof is will be part of any new stadium, so much for the cold weather "advantage." The supposed advantage being against Miami, considering the other teams in our division play in the same climate.

For Christmas, I would like a retractable roof so we could retract it for Miami. PS plus snow making equipment too. Thanks in advance Santa.

Edited by whodat

Why should the NFL move a team to Toronto? They have yet to demonstrate they can support a team. They sure do a poor job supporting their CFL team and the experiment with the Bills hasn't exactly been a success. I think a team in Toronto is a fantasy for the foreseeable future.

You're looking at it the wrong way. -A- team. They'll happily support -A- team, they're just not that crazy about the second-hand rental team they are being -told- to support. They'll support a permanent team of their OWN. Any expert can tell you the NFL is big in Southern Ontario.

You're looking at it the wrong way. -A- team. They'll happily support -A- team, they're just not that crazy about the second-hand rental team they are being -told- to support. They'll support a permanent team of their OWN. Any expert can tell you the NFL is big in Southern Ontario.

Again they DON'T support their OWN CFL team.

The only way they support their own NFL team is if that team is a contender, IMO (after the initial newness wears off, or course). I might be wrong, but they have yet to show otherwise.

And yes, Southern Ontario has a lot of NFL fans. They have a lot of Bills fans. Still the attendance flounders when the Bills (easily the #1 team of So Ontario fans) play NFL games in Toronto.

IMO, Toronto would be a worse NFL city than LA.

It's a cash cow for Ralph but wouldn't be for a new owner. Lowest ticket prices, luxury boxes that do not bring in enough revenue and I don't think merchandise sales are at the top of the league. Would take a long time to recover the $600m-$800m selling price.

And it's not a cash cow for the league, which wants to maximize the value of the TV contracts. A loyal fan base in a small TV market like Buffalo counts for next to nothing when it comes time to renegotiate the broadcast deals, whereas moving a small-market team to a large market like LA is worth another couple hundred million, easily.

The NFL wants and needs a team in LA.

When the team is sold, the NFL won't stand in the way.

Correction:

The NFL WANTS a team in LA.

It does not NEED one.

This is only an interest gauged on media cash potential, and not on any fan reality or local demand for a team. LA rivals only NY in media exposure, and the cash from such a venture would be staggering to the NFL coffers.

But for anyone who knows So Cal, there simply is no fan base to support a team over time. See: Raider, Oakland to Los Angeles back to Oakland. Or, Rams to St. Louis.

The only team at this point that really makes sense on the list is Jacksonville.

They NEVER sell out their stadium.

Well ... uhhh .... you may have noticed that the Bills have not been selling out recent games. And the only reason Sundays sold out was due to the generosity of one local business owner who purchased 7000 tickets at the last minute.

But carry on.

CodeMonkey,

You seem like a pretty cool guy reading your posts for the past several months.

But I think you are off.

There is a big difference between not selling out "recent" games and the years of failure to sell out the stadium in Jacksonville. The only reason their games are televised, is because the stadium has accepted their fate and blocks out several sections of their stadium with huge tarps.

Come to think of it, they are the only professional team that I know of, that remains loyal to their region for the length of time they have and not selling out their games.

I don't care for the Jags, but they have been a pretty competitive team throughout their short history.

Their just isn't the demand in Jacksonville.

If any team moves, my money is entirely on the Jaguars.

Rams a close 2nd.

And it's not a cash cow for the league, which wants to maximize the value of the TV contracts. A loyal fan base in a small TV market like Buffalo counts for next to nothing when it comes time to renegotiate the broadcast deals, whereas moving a small-market team to a large market like LA is worth another couple hundred million, easily.

Only if the networks count on sellouts in LA when they bid. Past history would tell them they may be in for some disappointment.

Now, I would expect any new team to sell out for a couple/few years, while it still seems fresh. But after that, it's a bit of a crap-shoot. On the plus side, the LA market ratings will increase for LA road games (irrespective of the sellout) and for home games, assuming they sell out. If they don't sell out a home game, the LA market will lose a game that could be broadcast to that market.

On the whole, it works out better if they have a team, but due to the market's overall low viewing level of NFL games (they seriously under perform based on their market rank) and the possibility of blackouts and loss of games to broadcast, it isn't as big of a differential as you might imagine.