Christmas Wish List

Thoner7

As you can imagine it’s a real slow day at work. And, in the Holiday spirit, I wanted to make a list for this coming offseason.

*I know there is a lot of uncertainty with FA this year but lets put that behind us figuring a handful of guys do hit the market every year, and hopefully we can sign 1 or 2 or 3. I will try to stick with guys I think could actually leave their current teams. Please add to this list if you think of any other guys you would like to target.

Once we have a list of a few guys, Ill try to email it or snail mail to to Nix!

Offensive Line

Logan Mankins – After his beef with NE this offseason, he is a virtual lock to be a FA. He is a blue collar country boy and I think he would like Buffalo. He may be the league’s best G and would be the leader of a young and tough OL. Wood would then move to C, with hangman being a key back up. IMO that leaves RT to upgrade and our OL as a whole is playoff caliber.

Justin Blalock – One of my favorite former Horns. He did 40 reps at the combine and had a Wonderlic above 40. Havent seen too much of him in Atl but he was an instant starter and is a bruiser. He played RT in college and while he has been a G in the NFL, he would probably be the best RT on our roster if he were on it.

TE

There are so many good TEs up this year. Zach Miller, Owen Daniels, Vernon Davis, Mercedes Lewis, and Tony Scheffler. I would take any one of these guys starting with the best run blocker and working my way down the list. I think we NEED to get one of these guys considering their availability.

Defensive line

Paul Soliai – I didn’t know this guys name until last week – but he is a true NG which I feel we still need, 34 or 4-3. This is his first year as a starter but is playing great, I think he could be a RFA with a new CBA.

Shaun Rogers – not that great anymore, but he is big and is still good. He was almost traded last offseason and is a lock to hit the market this year. He could be a great addition as a key part-time player.

Haloti Ngata – yea I wish, but this has a 0% chance of happening but I had to put him on the list. I have read he may get a $100+ deal ala Haynesworth. Maybe Cullen Jenkins tho?

LBers

David Harris – Prob wont be let go, but a new cap might force the big money Jets to let him go. IMO Middle LB is more important than OLB and Harris is the best available.

Mathis Kiwinuka – has been IRed this year, and the Giants have Usi, Tuck, and JPP. He has started and played well at LB and DE and could be perfect for us regardless of which D we end up playing. He isn’t a huge signing and could be more of a “budget” guy we normally target.

Lamarr Woodley – I have no idea how likely or not he is to hit the Market but he is a great palyer.

Brandon Siler – this may be the most likely to happen. He is a reserve/part time player for the Chargers who Nix is familiar with. If he is not tendered in the new CBA he could be a very economical option.

I wrote a long post a while ago talking about this and went to post it and my computer had become disconnected from the net and it was lost. But I agree with your post and am happy to see someone else thinking about it. I want 2 new TEs and to copy Belicheats offence this year a bit (plus there are some nice options at the position as your list points out).

I also would like to get the kid from SD partly because I hate that our LS only does one job.

I hope the Bills take full advantage of FA this year, I know Buddy said build through the draft and all but I want 4 or 5 FAs to help make up for last year and to have a strategy against NEs draft status this year. I also think it is a really good idea if they need a bigger roster next year.

Mankins and Mathis Kiwinuka would also be great PUs IMO.

I wish there were a few more good playmaker LBs in that group.

I doubt that Harris or Ngata are going anywhere but would be fine if we only got 2 or 3 if one of them was signed.

I want us to start locking up other core players (going FA in 2012) this year too, if they can.

Getting David Harris allows us to get a starting DL and RT with our first two picks in the draft. I cannot put into words how huge this would be. The trickle-down affect in regards to other positions of need would instantly elevate both sides of the ball.

TE

There are so many good TEs up this year. Zach Miller, Owen Daniels, Vernon Davis, Mercedes Lewis, and Tony Scheffler. I would take any one of these guys starting with the best run blocker and working my way down the list. I think we NEED to get one of these guys considering their availability.

I don't think that I have ever seen a TE more suited for the Buffalo Bills football team than Kevin Boss.

I am happy with the guards we have, Wood (if Hangartner comes back) and Levitre were doing good.

I would like to see Vernon Davis on the Bills. I see and hear a lot about him from the local media, and would like to see what he will do for the Bills.

I am happy with the guards we have, Wood (if Hangartner comes back) and Levitre were doing good.

I would like to see Vernon Davis on the Bills. I see and hear a lot about him from the local media, and would like to see what he will do for the Bills.

SF re-signed Vernon Davis to a long term contract in September. Not to be a grinch, but I don't see the Bills wading deeply into free agency again this year. Provided a CBA is in place when the new league year begins on 3/1, Buffalo probably looks for the low end guys in free agency. Since spending wildly on Dockery and Walker in 07, Buffalo has done the following in UFA the past 3 years:

2008 Stroud (trade), Spencer Johnson, K. Mitchell

2009 Fitzpatrick, Hangartner, Florence, TO

2010 D. Edwards, A. Davis, C. Green

They're not going to get into a bidding war and spend big dollars, so the marquee names will be out.