Depth chart - QB

Cugalabanza

Let's say Drew gets knocked out tomorrow on the first play. We're still in the playoff race. Does JP come in, or Shane? The Bills' website still shows Shane as the #2.

I know most of you will say it doesn't really matter if JP is ready because if Shane comes in, we're screwed anyway. But I'm not so sure.

Who gives us the best chance to win right now, JP "Hi, I'm the new guy" Losman or Shane "I'm not Joe Dufek" Mathews?

Let's say Drew gets knocked out tomorrow on the first play.  We're still in the playoff race.  Does JP come in, or Shane?  The Bills' website still shows Shane as the #2.

I know most of you will say it doesn't really matter if JP is ready because if Shane comes in, we're screwed anyway.  But I'm not so sure.

Who gives us the best chance to win right now, JP "Hi, I'm the new guy" Losman or Shane "I'm not Joe Dufek" Mathews?

155991[/snapback]

Since we're in the playoff hunt I would go with Matthews over Losman. As Matthews might be a journeyman yet I think he's a servicable backup in the AVP mold. He'll do his best but can be defensed as he's not skilled enough to lead the team for more then three games. Of course if the potential injury to Drew was to be season ending I'd consider going with Losman to help his future development. As right now I think JP is as green a QB could be. I mean against New England with the game clearly out of reach he struggled and showed a lack of discipline which will come as he becomes more comfortable with the speed and nuances of the NFL.

If the 3rd QB comes in prior to the start of the fourth quarter, then neither the 1st or 2nd QB are allowed to come back into the game. So if the Bill's were to bypass Shane M and bring in JP, if he were to get hurt or totally stink up the joint, then they can't go back to DB or Shane for the rest of the game.

It must be the fatalism of the Bills fan in me, but wouldn't it figure that just when this staff finally gets Drew playing good ball he gets knocked out by injury for the only the second time in his career. :(

And as for the emergency QB rule, I'm not 100% sure Ed, but I think that if you lose your starter to injury (as opposed to just yanking him) then you can still go back to your #2 guy even if your #3 guys gets on the field. Again, I'm not positive but I think I have some recollection of that occuring recently.

Cya

No! there are very particular rules related to when and how you can use your 3rd QB Simon might be right, not certain. It would seem that there would have to be some type of penalty involved for skipping QB#2. But I could be wrong, and Simon may be correct, however there are still cetian rules to be followed.

To totally reject my comment as being ridiculous is stupid in itself. Since you think it's ridiculous, I'd suggest you go to the NFL rule book and find and post the rule before rejecting posts when it's pretty obvious by your response, you're just talking as an un-educated fan. Not as someone who actually has any knowledge of the depth of the rulebook.

Yes ofcourse you can go back to him!! That statment is ridiculous!! IF he gets hurt, then you can put the other QB in REGARDLESS of depth chart positioning!!!!

156016[/snapback]

Guest Buffan00's Mama
No! there are very particular rules related to when and how you can use your 3rd QB  Simon might be right,  not certain.  It would seem that there would have to be some type of penalty involved for skipping QB#2.  But I could be wrong, and Simon may be correct, however there are still cetian rules to be followed.

To totally reject my comment as being ridiculous is stupid in itself.  Since you think it's ridiculous, I'd suggest you go to the NFL rule book and find and post the rule before rejecting posts when it's pretty obvious by your response, you're just talking as an un-educated fan.  Not as someone who actually has any knowledge of the depth of the rulebook.

156023[/snapback]

ZING!

OK, with THAT theory.....if you have 4 RB's and they DO have a depth chart for them too incase you didnt know, and teams EVERY week roll out different RB's in all sorts of schemes ala: Holmes, Blaylock, Johnson...then they wouldnt be able to put their #1 back in after the #2 gets hurt?? Rediculous i SAY!!! ZING THAT!!! MOMMA!!!! :(

Buffan, shut up and read the rules. You're allowed to have 46 (I think) active players, plus an emergency QB. He's basically listed as inactive, and doesn't take up a roster spot on gameday. He's there so that if something happens to the top two guys, you still have a QB. You are not, on the other hand, allowed to use him as a substitute - 1 didn't work, and 2 didn't work, let's try 3. To prevent that and phony injuries to allow it otherwise, the NFL says the top two guys can't go back in if the 3rd guy plays.

It's the damn rule, and it's special for QBs. So stop being a spazz.

Buffan, shut up and read the rules.  You're allowed to have 46 (I think) active players, plus an emergency QB.  He's basically listed as inactive, and doesn't take up a roster spot on gameday.  He's there so that if something happens to the top two guys, you still have a QB.  You are not, on the other hand, allowed to use him as a substitute - 1 didn't work, and 2 didn't work, let's try 3.  To prevent that and phony injuries to allow it otherwise, the NFL says the top two guys can't go back in if the 3rd guy plays. 

It's the damn rule, and it's special for QBs.  So stop being a spazz.

156045[/snapback]

Hey rookie, the whole point was the skipping of the #2 QB, read the other posts before you decide to join in moron!! :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

Hey rookie, the whole point was the skipping of the #2 QB, read the other posts before you decide to join in moron!! :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

156049[/snapback]

No, I believe Silvermike is right. #3 can ONLY go in the game if you forget #1 and #2 for the entire game. It doesn't matter who gets hurt and who doesn't. #3 is basically inactive. If you decide to activate him in the middle of the game, by injury or choice, #1 and #2 become inactive for the entire game. It's what the Bills did against NE. Matthews could not have entered the game once Losman went in.

Okay, here is a further clarification: This is from nfl.com, an official NFL guy explaining the official rules on the official site, responding to a question posed in 2001. The rule may have changed, slightly, but as of three years ago--

Each team is allowed to carry a third QB on their roster who is not part of their 45-man active roster. He may enter the game in an emergency situation if the first two QBs get hurt. If he enters anytime in the first three quarters, neither of the first two QBs can re-enter the game. If he enters in the fourth quarter, the original QBs can return to the game. The third QB can only enter the game in the QB position.

You go with #2 in the depth chart.  If Losman were the 2nd best QB on the team, he would be #2 on the depth chart.  There no medical reason for Losman to be #3, just coaching assessment reasons.

156103[/snapback]

That is not necessarily true. It depends on the game situation. Matthews could be the #2 on the depth chart and the #2 for the game, thought of by the coaches that if Bledsoe is out for a series or two Matthews with his experience could be the caretaker in a close and important game. If the game is a blowout, either a win or a loss, we would most assuredly put in Losman, at #2 or #3 to give him the game experience. Also, if, say, the rush was the problem for Bledsoe being hurt, the staff may conclude that the elusive running style and quickness of Losman is a better chance to win than the slow statuee-esque Matthews. Again, it all depends on the game situation.

If he enters anytime in the first three quarters, neither of the first two QBs can re-enter the game. If he enters in the fourth quarter, the original QBs can return to the game.

There it is. I knew there was some sort of addendum to the rule that provided for a situation where your #2 guy could re-enter under a certain circumstance. That must be the one I was thinking of. Thanx for the clarification, K.

And buffan, please don't ever agree with me again. It only diminishes both of us. :(

Yes Buffan (or is it Bufoon?) That is your point, but there are rules that are over your head and you don't understand thta prevent that! You can't put an inactive player in at running back if they all got hurt. But you probably could have your tight end play half back if you had too. But since QB is kind of specialized, it would be too difficult to do that. So they allow a 46th inactive player to come in and play, BUT only under certain curcumstances, and under certain specific rules.

My whole arguement was Simon said that you could put in your #3, take him out and play your #2, that was my point! :(

156052[/snapback]