Amazing statistical reflections

sllib olaffub

Because people want the aura of a #1 pick to make them feel like their QB is any good.

No.

People want an elite quarterback because the teams that have elite quarterbacks make the playoffs year in and year out. Teams with bottom-third quarterbacks hope for a flukey playoff run once a decade.

It is worth aiming for elite qb talent, even if you have a qb that is serviceable.

Try for a top-5 NFL quarterback and watch how your coach gets fired after the crazy year where you DON'T make the playoffs. Don't bother rebuilding to 7-9.

No.

People want an elite quarterback because the teams that have elite quarterbacks make the playoffs year in and year out. Teams with bottom-third quarterbacks hope for a flukey playoff run once a decade.

It is worth aiming for elite qb talent, even if you have a qb that is serviceable.

Try for a top-5 NFL quarterback and watch how your coach gets fired after the crazy year where you DON'T make the playoffs. Don't bother rebuilding to 7-9.

Every year there is some college QB that Saturday armchair college fans go nuts over, sure that they'll be the next Brady, Montana, Manning, etc. It's a crapshoot whether they'll have the same level of success in the NFL. A few do. More are disappointments. The Jets bent over backwards to get the greatest player ever - Mark Sanchez. Sanchez is decent enough for a 2nd year guy, by he's hardly elite. How's that Leinhart kid doing? David Carr? Akili Smith? Russell? Palmer, Shuler, Leaf, etc etc etc.

I know I know.. "yeah, but Luck is special, dude".....whatever. The same college draftnik guys had the same confidence in that short list of busts. Luck may turn out to be great, but give it up already. The Bills won't be in a position to take him anyway. If they were, they should find a team to make a trade and parlay the pick into multiple first round choices. At least they'd double their chances of making a hit on an impact player.

True, the Bills could whiff on the badly needed defensive front 7 player they need, but at least they should get immediate playing time.

Using an early pick on a QB would be as foolish as the running back pick in 2010. Too many other needs.

How the hell is the comparison stupid? Because Fitz was such a great Pocket Passer before Gailey got here? And Why the freak do you have to insult the guy?...He brings up a valid comparison concerning our HC and you call him stupid? It's Posts like this that prove beyond a shadow of a doubt why this board has continued to decline in overall class year in and year out...Show a little respect and grow up a bit...It was not a stupid comparison whatsoever...Give your counter argument without the insult...

:wallbash:

I didn't call him stupid, I said that his comparison was stupid. I rarely throw that word around here but I thought that this was a passive aggressive attempt at trying to persuade everyone into thinking that Fitzpatrick sucks. Just like the thread a couple of weeks ago telling everyone that Fitzpatrick was another Jay Feidler. The best way to deal with passive aggressiveness is by being blunt. If you're going to try that weak tactic around here then expect someone to call you out. Fitzpatrick is another Thigpen???? That comparison was stupid beyond belief.

Every year there is some college QB that Saturday armchair college fans go nuts over, sure that they'll be the next Brady, Montana, Manning, etc. It's a crapshoot whether they'll have the same level of success in the NFL. A few do. More are disappointments. The Jets bent over backwards to get the greatest player ever - Mark Sanchez. Sanchez is decent enough for a 2nd year guy, by he's hardly elite. How's that Leinhart kid doing? David Carr? Akili Smith? Russell? Palmer, Shuler, Leaf, etc etc etc.

I know I know.. "yeah, but Luck is special, dude".....whatever. The same college draftnik guys had the same confidence in that short list of busts. Luck may turn out to be great, but give it up already. The Bills won't be in a position to take him anyway. If they were, they should find a team to make a trade and parlay the pick into multiple first round choices. At least they'd double their chances of making a hit on an impact player.

True, the Bills could whiff on the badly needed defensive front 7 player they need, but at least they should get immediate playing time.

Using an early pick on a QB would be as foolish as the running back pick in 2010. Too many other needs.

QB is NEVER just another need...EVER...

While QB may not necessarily be the problem right now in Buffalo Nix, the Scouts, Gailey and his Coaches are all busy trying to determine if it's a strength...And they will break down every aspect of Fitz's game (which includes him being the 19th Ranked Passer with the 25th best Completion % in the NFL)...If Fitz's is not clearly a strength in Nix and Gailey's eyes, and there is a QB available in Round #1 that the FO is high on, they WILL take the QB...It's a gamble on greatness...It's the right move...If DE and QB are both needs, but DE is a bigger need and you have a QB Rated as high or higher than any DE in the Draft, almost any NFL Team is going to take that QB almost 100% of the time...That's just the way it is...So for example...If the Bills have Cam Newton rated the same or slightly higher than Nick Fairley, you can pretty much take it to the bank that they are going to take Newton if both are available when they Pick...

And while there is a QB just about every year that NFL Scouts misjudge and over-value, there's also a Franchise QB leading his Team to a Super Bowl victory that same year...So QB is King...always will be...And those of you who think just because Fitz is having a career year the Bills will automatically turn away from QB in the 1st Round...Well...You can go ahead and think that all you want...But just be prepared to be let down if Luck comes out and Newton rises on the Bills board...

I'm not saying the Bills will take a QB either...I'm only saying if the Grades are equal, or even close to equal, they will take the QB regardless of how the needs line up...And don't forget Ralph is already on record saying they want a QB... B-)

When I read a stat on Buffalorumblings about Ryan Fitzpatrick's touchdowns this season (Ryan Fitzpatrick 355 207 2,384 yards (before cleveland game),21 touchdowns now, to 11 interceptions) in what was his 11th game of the season... and I think 13th consecutive game with a touchdown, I began to think back to Thigpen's season when he had Gailey, and how he has since returned to obscurity. So, I looked up his stats, and guess what - in 11 games, he had 22 touchdowns (three running), 12 interceptions.

It's remarkable how consistent Gailey is with mediocre QB's.

With this win I'm guessing, if he even comes out, that we won't have a chance for Luck. That would probably change their draft strategy to one of fixing the defensive front seven - and with the talent coming out this year at those positions, we could probably do it nicely in the first three rounds.

Anyway, I just thought it was fascinating how close their stats are, and remarkable how consistent Gailey is at getting production out of, what I think are undeniably, mediocre QB's. I SAY, LET'S GIVE HIM A YOUNG, TALENTED QB, WHO HE CAN DEVELOPE AS FITS HIS SCHEMES. Locker really seems likely in the second, from what I've heard about his skill set, he seems like a faster, stronger, more talented version of Fitzpatrick - which would allow Fitz to play another season and for him to be a perfect model, and eventual mentor, to Locker.

So, that's my prediction - a really nasty DE in the First Round, Locker with our second pick, the best OLB with our third, and after that... BPA.

We are a very long way from the draft and it never goes how it is planned. Fitz can play at least in the system he presently is playing and what may happen with a full ota, camp with starting snaps, etc.

I get that you are scared of missing on a quarterback. There is definitely a risk of failure. But there is also the risk for wild success and the resurrection of our inept franchise. Put the fear aside and dream big. We don't always have to be the team doomed not to have an elite qb.

Thigpen was a flash in the pan playing in the worst division in the NFL that year (not one team with a winning record). Enough already with this guy.

Fitz is legit--he's the ONLY scrambling QB we've had since Flutie, he is smart and is developing a nice touch on the ball. Doesn't mean we can't draft a QB early (what, should we take another NT??).

When I read a stat on Buffalorumblings about Ryan Fitzpatrick's touchdowns this season (Ryan Fitzpatrick 355 207 2,384 yards (before cleveland game),21 touchdowns now, to 11 interceptions) in what was his 11th game of the season... and I think 13th consecutive game with a touchdown, I began to think back to Thigpen's season when he had Gailey, and how he has since returned to obscurity. So, I looked up his stats, and guess what - in 11 games, he had 22 touchdowns (three running), 12 interceptions.

It's remarkable how consistent Gailey is with mediocre QB's.

With this win I'm guessing, if he even comes out, that we won't have a chance for Luck. That would probably change their draft strategy to one of fixing the defensive front seven - and with the talent coming out this year at those positions, we could probably do it nicely in the first three rounds.

Anyway, I just thought it was fascinating how close their stats are, and remarkable how consistent Gailey is at getting production out of, what I think are undeniably, mediocre QB's. I SAY, LET'S GIVE HIM A YOUNG, TALENTED QB, WHO HE CAN DEVELOPE AS FITS HIS SCHEMES. Locker really seems likely in the second, from what I've heard about his skill set, he seems like a faster, stronger, more talented version of Fitzpatrick - which would allow Fitz to play another season and for him to be a perfect model, and eventual mentor, to Locker.

So, that's my prediction - a really nasty DE in the First Round, Locker with our second pick, the best OLB with our third, and after that... BPA.

Luck = Carson Palmer

Locker = Brohm

You = Al Davis + jamarcus russell

KOKBILLS = your mentored disciple

Edited by whodat

No.

This.

An elite QB is both the most important, and single hardest-to-acquire, component of a championship team. Teams that win championships without elite-level QB play--such as the Ravens of 2000--are very rare. Once you have the elite QB, it shouldn't be that hard to surround him with a solid supporting cast. And if there's the occasional elite level player sprinkled into that mix, you can expect your team to go far.