John Skelton

There were a lot of people on this board who really wanted us to take Skelton. With Arizona not selecting him until the 5th round, we easily could have grabbed him if we wanted to. With the Cardinals announcing that Skelton will get the start this weekend, I figured it would be a good time for everyone to share some thoughts on the kid. How do you think he will do this week? Anyone still upset we did not take him in the draft?

As for my opinion..

I think he will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 215 yards 2TDs and 1 INT.

I was never that big of an advocate in the first place, so I'm fine that we didn't select him.

There were a lot of people on this board who really wanted us to take Skelton. With Arizona not selecting him until the 5th round, we easily could have grabbed him if we wanted to. With the Cardinals announcing that Skelton will get the start this weekend, I figured it would be a good time for everyone to share some thoughts on the kid. How do you think he will do this week? Anyone still upset we did not take him in the draft?

As for my opinion..

I think he will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 215 yards 2TDs and 1 INT.

I was never that big of an advocate in the first place, so I'm fine that we didn't select him.

I wonder why Max Hall got some starts over him when Anderson was yanked. Leads me to believe that he is not better than any of our current back-up QB's.

I still really like Levi Brown.

The numbers don't necessarily show it, but I thought he played very well in the last preseason game against Detroit…and we got him in the 7th round.

Levi may or may not ever get the chance to prove that he's an NFL quality QB. It's very uphill for late round picks and undrafted free agents. While some of these "cheapo" QBs do succeed in the league, many more are fated never to get a fair chance based upon their draft (or undrafted) status.

In Levi's case, the Bills still need to see what Brian Brohm can do at some point. It's a longshot that Levi gets any playing time in a meaningful situation…at earliest next preseason if he's on the roster.

It's supposedly a results-oriented league run by pragmatists…but there's no doubt in my mind that some players are never given a fair shake. That's just the way life is sometimes.

The numbers don't necessarily show it, but I thought he played very well in the last preseason game against Detroit…and we got him in the 7th round.

Levi may or may not ever get the chance to prove that he's an NFL quality QB. It's very uphill for late round picks and undrafted free agents. While some of these "cheapo" QBs do succeed in the league, many more are fated never to get a fair chance based upon their draft (or undrafted) status.

In Levi's case, the Bills still need to see what Brian Brohm can do at some point. It's a longshot that Levi gets any playing time in a meaningful situation…at earliest next preseason if he's on the roster.

It's supposedly a results-oriented league run by pragmatists…but there's no doubt in my mind that some players are never given a fair shake. That's just the way life is sometimes.

When you stop to think about the Levi/Brohm situation, it makes you wonder whether they even need the headache of having to evaluate ANOTHER unproven NFL commodity. Makes you think that QB couldn't be lower priority..

I wonder why Max Hall got some starts over him when Anderson was yanked. Leads me to believe that he is not better than any of our current back-up QB's.

He's a 5th Round, rookie QB. If he turns out to be anything it will be in time unless he goes Tom Brady on the NFC West.

When you stop to think about the Levi/Brohm situation, it makes you wonder whether they even need the headache of having to evaluate ANOTHER unproven NFL commodity. Makes you think that QB couldn't be lower priority..

Well Big Cat, I haven't offered my position on the great Andrew Luck debate…nor is anyone waiting with bated breath to find out what it is.

It's only December and the draft is in April. We don't know where we'll be in the draft order. So I'll wait till until a time where my opinion may actually be relevant.

But I wouldn't agree with you out of hand. I would need specifics before opining on whether I would like us to add another QB to the mix. I do see your point though.

You keep swimming against the tide, here.

When the season ended last year...everybody "knew" we needed a QB. When the season started this year, we all still "knew" this, only to have it reinforced by the **** show Trent put on. With Fitzpatrick, he never stood a chance, because he, as we all "know," is only a backup. So, before this whole season started, we "knew" we had to watch college football and find our savior.

So, it has really been planned, and you coming around, clouding the issue with fact, and reasonable observations, are not going to be able to change what so many people have "known" for so long.

I am with you...and I think Chan and Buddy will be too.

Big armed QB with Fitzgerald and Breaston at his disposal

I hope he does well

He is big. It's not a stretch to say that Skelton has good bones.

Dick Jauron was a "Skelton"

Okay…I guess that one wasn't funny…well, Arizona is hosting Denver so the Cardinals will be in their home unis…so we can call him Red….ah never mind.

He's a 5th Round, rookie QB. If he turns out to be anything it will be in time unless he goes Tom Brady on the NFC West.

My point exactly.

Max Hall was an undrafted free agent from this year's draft class. So if Max Hall got the nod over Skelton, who was a 5th round pick, that tells me that the coaching staff doesn't think much of Skelton. So, to directly respond to the OP, I don't think it would be worth seeking out a guy like Skelton....even if he were waived by Arizona. He likely is not better than what we have already behind Fitzy.

Max Hall was an undrafted free agent from this year's draft class. So if Max Hall got the nod over Skelton, who was a 5th round pick, that tells me that the coaching staff doesn't think much of Skelton. So, to directly respond to the OP, I don't think it would be worth seeking out a guy like Skelton....even if he were waived by Arizona. He likely is not better than what we have already behind Fitzy.

The fact that Hall started ahead of Skelton certainly does raise a red flag.

So a priest, a rabbi, and an offensive coordinator walk into a bar...

Skelton played his college ball at Fordham, a DII program. Hall played in a pro style offense at BYU. Skelton was drafted as a project. It's way too early to say whether Skelton is going to be a player in the league or not. I guess you could say the same thing about Levi Brown, but I thought Brown looked awful in the preseason.

Skelton played his college ball at Fordham, a DII program. Hall played in a pro style offense at BYU. Skelton was drafted as a project. It's way too early to say whether Skelton is going to be a player in the league or not. I guess you could say the same thing about Levi Brown, but I thought Brown looked awful in the preseason.

So you're saying that Skelton played at Fordham and that Fordham has red unis?

Just my opinion...

I think that Skelton was drafted in the 5th round, due to his physical tools, to be a legitimate contender for the starting QB position. Max Hall, who was not drafted, was the "meh why not?" developmental prospect. I think you have it backwards.

Levi gave us absolutely nothing to like.

In your opinion.

And personally I don't care if my opinion is a minority one. I saw some things that I liked in that last preseason game against Detroit.

I liked Levi Brown in that preseason game also. I figured he has enough skills to work with for a QB guy like Chan.

And BTW, Max Hall was a local Phoenix area high school hero as well, so that gives him a certain advantage (PR and all that). And the big-time offense at BYU is the biggest difference.