Polian admits mistake in drafting undersized passrusher instead of LT

You just know the Colts are going to draft two offensive lineman with their 1st two picks draft some defensive players in the mid rounds and then rebound next season when Dallas Clark comes back and they get some improved play from the O-line.

The Colts made it to the Super Bowl last year and at 6-6 this year are still in contention for their division so lets not just say they have fallen off the radar and are in shambles. Yeah their O-line has issues but if there is one guy and one organization to fix those issues you know the Colts will do all they can.

The Colts are going to draft a LT or RT round one then a guard in round 2 and suddenly when Manning gets all his guys back he will be lighting up the league.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year, Bulaga was rated as a mid to lower first round pick. That is the range where he was taken by the Packers. Spiller was rated as a top ten player. He was taken by the Bills in the vicinity of where he was ranked on most draft boards.

Last year, as the draft approached Saffold was steadily working his way up the board. A lot of scouts were very impressed with his athleticism and his versatility. If I recall correctly he was rated as a high second round caliber of player with the possibility of being a low first round first pick. He was taken as the first pick in the second round, in the same vicinity he was ranked.

Staying true to your value rankings when drafting makes a lot of sense to me. Reaching for a need has gotten this franchise in a lot of trouble. The Bills need to be disciplined during the draft when making their picks.

IF the season ended today, we'd draft 4th. I think we'll ultimately end up around the #6 - #8 spot - if Carimi's in the top 15, I have no problem 'reaching' for him. That's just me, of course - I don't work in the Bills' front office, and it's hard to argue with their record of success on draft day! :beer:

I have to agree with him here Senator. I love Carimi but to think he is going in to top 15 is a stretch. He is a ood player but the combine will show a lot of his limited athletic ability, which will hurt his draft stock. I think he will be a great player, but his STOCK will be hurt by the workouts. Then he will go on to a great career and all us fans will be like "I knew that guy was awesome, why didnt my team draft him earlier, wtf?"

And the answer will likely be, ' Because the Patriots* took him in round one with the Oakland pick they* got in the Seymour trade! ' :cry:

Whaley is in charge of pro personnel, which is interesting - it isn't clear what input he'll have on draft day, and, in any event, Nix has made clear that he doesn't believe in making a splash in free agency.

And some would argue that "the main decision maker" is, and has always been, Mr. Wilson.

RW wanted Lynch badly (after the McGahee comments) in 2007 according to many reports. What's the sense of having a college scouting director, scouts, heck a GM when the owner knows all and sees all?

That said, Polian may be trying to motivate Hughes for next season. BP isn't the type who drafts for the coming season anyway, although Saffold's progression is something he's kicking himself for not recognizing. The league is infatuated with pass rushers, both DE's and OLB's that people reach. Even BP is apparently human on draft day now and then.

Edited by BillsVet

RW wanted Lynch badly (after the McGahee comments) in 2007 according to many reports. What's the sense of having a college scouting director, scouts, heck a GM when the owner knows all and sees all?

Do you think a Billichick or Cowhrer or Reid caliber coach would ever work for such a goofball owner? He is an embarrassment.

That said, Polian may be trying to motivate Hughes for next season. BP isn't the type who drafts for the coming season anyway, although Saffold's progression is something he's kicking himself for not recognizing. The league is infatuated with pass rushers, both DE's and OLB's that people reach. Even BP is apparently human on draft day now and then.

In hindsight, Polian probably would have taken Saffold knowing the terrible condition of his OL. But let's not be premature. Is it a certainty that Hughes won't eventually turn out to be a very good player? Absolutely not. Tamba Hali of the Chiefs struggled in his first year. Now he is one of the better DE's in the game. I still have some issues with our OT Bell but there is no doubt that he is a dramatically better player now than when he first joined the team. Player development and good coaching are importatnt elements for the more successful teams. Be patient. You might be pleasantly surprised. You might eventually have a change of view on the Spiller pick????