Howard Stern to iTunes/Apple?

Peace

I could see the entire catalog for sale ala carte and new shows available for sale as well. Apple has the dough rae me that Sirius lacks. Howard TV (which I could give 2 ***** about) also be a nice tie in for the failing Apple TV product.

Howard didn't deny the talks when it came up this morning. He just read the story and said he's got things in the works.

http://www.tmrzoo.com/2010/17561

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope he announces what is going to happen before his last show. Only eight left now, right? I need to know if I should keep my Sirius subscription on my christmas list.

I'm not sure what the count is but he's done next week sometime.

Howard's last day is the 16th. George is sitting with them all week, Lupe and the sybian creator are coming in next Weds or Thurs and there is some speculation on SFN Artie may make an appearence.

I cannot imagine Howard going to Apple, though he has been singing their praises a lot, he has also ridiculed them a lot. At his age, with his ablity for Apple to sign him they will have to promise him a lot of things. What he has at Sirius right now is a sweet gig, to give them original programming with what seems like no interference from Sirius. Buckwald, though, could get him a great contract. My brother and I were talking about it, it just seems insane to think he'd be going anywhere else. The entire staff is on edge, JD's outburst on the wrap up show last week was proof after Benji came out saying hthey overheard Howard telling Robin to hurry up for a meeting. If Apple is signing them I am pretty sure Stern would make sure that they take the entire show.

My imagination might be that Sirius allows or sells the Stern Catalog to Apple. Prior to starting the show Sirius bought the entire Stern catalog, perhaps they could recoup money selling it or licensing it. The other part I do not understand is that back when there was financial issues the guy who owned major satelite interests paid off the debt.

I am very concerned with Bubba. O&A and that one Australian dude on Faction are both horrible. Jay Thomas is probably the third best personality on Sirius and there is no way he could carry a show. Covino would have to find supporting cast - not sure he could.

So, would it be a podcast?

Howard has said that he is firmly against podcasting, saying it is not new radio; however, he if he still wants to be the king of all media the internet is still uncharted territory.

I hope he does not go, I HATE anything Apple and have invested heavily in Sirius Equipment.

Howard has said that he is firmly against podcasting, saying it is not new radio; however, he if he still wants to be the king of all media the internet is still uncharted territory.

I hope he does not go, I HATE anything Apple and have invested heavily in Sirius Equipment.

Then what it be with apple/itunes if not a podcast?

Stern can launch his own webcast on his own site and charge a subscription. Webstream audio and video, smartphones too. And he can own it all. But that would require him to build a sales staff, something I doubt he wants to do. I don't think he can make $100M/yr selling his own show.

PTR

Howard 100 news just had a big update, JD twittered last week a story some guy wrote about Howard going to Apple and that is what created the story and even had JD has the source and in some he was quoted in articles. It was just on Howard 100 News brief. I listen to Sirius about 12 hours a day.

False alarm.

Stern will be back on Sirius in 2011 for 3 years, somehow get even more vacation, and perhaps start at 7 or 8. Bubba will be back on Sirius but not the same. That's my bet.

Howard 100 news just had a big update, JD twittered last week a story some guy wrote about Howard going to Apple and that is what created the story and even had JD has the source and in some he was quoted in articles. It was just on Howard 100 News brief. I listen to Sirius about 12 hours a day.

False alarm.

Stern will be back on Sirius in 2011 for 3 years, somehow get even more vacation, and perhaps start at 7 or 8. Bubba will be back on Sirius but not the same. That's my bet.

I have XM, but don't pay for Sirius. I'm all about podcasting. I need to be able to listen to things when I am not on the phone, etc.......I listen when I'm doing computer work....I would pay for Stern content.....I would also pay for Adam Carolla and Tony Kornheiser, but don't tell them that, because their podcasts are free.

What is Howard 100 News - don't tell me it's news all about Howard?!?

What is Howard 100 News - don't tell me it's news all about Howard?!?

At first, I was like this is a freaking joke, really? Howard 100 News, all news about the Stern show?! But it is amazing. If people see Stern show people, Eric the Midget or Jeff the Drunk all the way up to Beth or Howard they can call and tell the news show. They investigate things, as well, like the whole Sanjaya event, they able to track and see that he should not have been kicked off or the radio hall of fame. It turns out the radio hall of fame is not real, it's some guy who decided to make an award and hall of fame. He has it in his basement or something, the building he wanted got foreclosed from him.

Yeah, it's actually pretty cool and gives great stories, like when someone poo'd on the floor Howard 100 News was all over.

At first, I was like this is a freaking joke, really? Howard 100 News, all news about the Stern show?! But it is amazing. If people see Stern show people, Eric the Midget or Jeff the Drunk all the way up to Beth or Howard they can call and tell the news show. They investigate things, as well, like the whole Sanjaya event, they able to track and see that he should not have been kicked off or the radio hall of fame. It turns out the radio hall of fame is not real, it's some guy who decided to make an award and hall of fame. He has it in his basement or something, the building he wanted got foreclosed from him.

Yeah, it's actually pretty cool and gives great stories, like when someone poo'd on the floor Howard 100 News was all over.

Yeah, I caught Jim Lehrer reporting that on PBS Newshour.

Howard's last day is the 16th. George is sitting with them all week, Lupe and the sybian creator are coming in next Weds or Thurs and there is some speculation on SFN Artie may make an appearence.

I cannot imagine Howard going to Apple, though he has been singing their praises a lot, he has also ridiculed them a lot. At his age, with his ablity for Apple to sign him they will have to promise him a lot of things. What he has at Sirius right now is a sweet gig, to give them original programming with what seems like no interference from Sirius. Buckwald, though, could get him a great contract. My brother and I were talking about it, it just seems insane to think he'd be going anywhere else. The entire staff is on edge, JD's outburst on the wrap up show last week was proof after Benji came out saying hthey overheard Howard telling Robin to hurry up for a meeting. If Apple is signing them I am pretty sure Stern would make sure that they take the entire show.

My imagination might be that Sirius allows or sells the Stern Catalog to Apple. Prior to starting the show Sirius bought the entire Stern catalog, perhaps they could recoup money selling it or licensing it. The other part I do not understand is that back when there was financial issues the guy who owned major satelite interests paid off the debt.

Two corrections. The meeting that Howard and Robin left early for (Howard was telling her to hurry on the air) was the Tarantino roast. And Sirius didn't buy the Stern catalog, Howard bought it and now owns it himself.

Based on the latter, your idea that he makes the catalog available for sale on iTunes--and then moves Howard TV to an iTunes distribution--makes sense. He could then do the new shows on Sirius, a website, or wherever. Part of his aversion to podcast, I believe, is that he would lose the "live" energy. MAximizing all revenue streams, he would

(1) Make entire catalog available for sale on iTunes

(2) Move Howard TV to iTunes

(3) Offer his live show on a subscription basis on his own or under some other corp. umbrella.

#1 is an untapped revenue stream right now.

Two corrections. The meeting that Howard and Robin left early for (Howard was telling her to hurry on the air) was the Tarantino roast. And Sirius didn't buy the Stern catalog, Howard bought it and now owns it himself.

Based on the latter, your idea that he makes the catalog available for sale on iTunes--and then moves Howard TV to an iTunes distribution--makes sense. He could then do the new shows on Sirius, a website, or wherever. Part of his aversion to podcast, I believe, is that he would lose the "live" energy. MAximizing all revenue streams, he would

(1) Make entire catalog available for sale on iTunes

(2) Move Howard TV to iTunes

(3) Offer his live show on a subscription basis on his own or under some other corp. umbrella.

#1 is an untapped revenue stream right now.

How about doing it live on Sirius and selling podcasts on itunes? I am not going to listen to him live, but I will pay for content.......Kornheiser does that, although he doesn't charge for the podcasts.

That's what I was proposing.

Oh, I see - I was thinking back catalog when I saw that. Yeah, get them up right away, and I'll buy them or subscribe.........I'm a very big talk radio listener and he is missing out on me and probably many others who prefer the podcast format.