iTunes on a new PC - can anyone help?

UB2SF

I recently bought a new PC and want to use it for my iTunes account and syncing my iPod. My prior PC was a dog, so I had long ago moved my iTunes library to an external hard drive. On my new PC, I hooked up my external hard drive, downloaded the iTunes software, and hoped that I would be able to set up iTunes to recognize the external library and continue using it to sync to my iPod. No luck on either count -- iTunes on the new PC won't let me set the external hard drive as my library, and won't attempt to connect with my iPod without me agreeing to let iTunes erase the content on the iPod (saying that an iPod can only sync with one library).

I acknowledge that I might just be dense! I tried Googling the issue, but all of the solutions assume I want to move my library from one PC to another PC, which isn't exacty the case since the library exists outside of either PC.

Any help, TBD tech gurus?

I recently bought a new PC and want to use it for my iTunes account and syncing my iPod. My prior PC was a dog, so I had long ago moved my iTunes library to an external hard drive. On my new PC, I hooked up my external hard drive, downloaded the iTunes software, and hoped that I would be able to set up iTunes to recognize the external library and continue using it to sync to my iPod. No luck on either count -- iTunes on the new PC won't let me set the external hard drive as my library, and won't attempt to connect with my iPod without me agreeing to let iTunes erase the content on the iPod (saying that an iPod can only sync with one library).

I acknowledge that I might just be dense! I tried Googling the issue, but all of the solutions assume I want to move my library from one PC to another PC, which isn't exacty the case since the library exists outside of either PC.

Any help, TBD tech gurus?

We have the exact same issue. My wife's desk top died so we bought a new laptop and it won't recognize her iPod and wants her to start all over again. My personal feeling is that it's all a scam to force you to re-buy what you already paid for if you want the same music. <_<

I believe the information you seek can be found here.

Try the iTunes Library and Back-up section.

It has information of Re-creating your iTunes library, library files, opening an alternate iTunes library file, backing up your Library with an external drive.

Also look at the Authorization section which speaks iTunes Store purchases.

If that doesn't contain the help you need, you can go here to the iTunes Discussion board and search. The top grouping of discussions speaks to the use of iTunes on Windows.

You could also make an appointment at an Apple Retail Store if you live near one and talk things over in person.

There's a lot of help out there. Technology is great - when it works. Often it's a small thing that puts it off its track and the magic becomes a mess. Happily, many times things can be fairly easily rectified. Good luck.

Speaking of iTunes/digital music, anyone know of any place to get free legaldownloads of MP3s? I'm not talking massive downloads, but a couple/several? I got 3 free ones from Amazon awhile back. I'm trying to round out my library. Thanks in advance.

I believe the information you seek can be found here.

Try the iTunes Library and Back-up section.

It has information of Re-creating your iTunes library, library files, opening an alternate iTunes library file, backing up your Library with an external drive.

Also look at the Authorization section which speaks iTunes Store purchases.

If that doesn't contain the help you need, you can go here to the iTunes Discussion board and search. The top grouping of discussions speaks to the use of iTunes on Windows.

You could also make an appointment at an Apple Retail Store if you live near one and talk things over in person.

There's a lot of help out there. Technology is great - when it works. Often it's a small thing that puts it off its track and the magic becomes a mess. Happily, many times things can be fairly easily rectified. Good luck.

Thanks, Nank! I appreciate the tips. I'll try out the self-help tips you posted... but I have a feeling I'll be winding up at the pretentiously-named Genius Bar at the local Apple Store. I'll post whatever resolution we settle upon.

what kinds of tunes are you looking for? live stuff? alternative artists? there are plenty of sites to get stuff, from live studion sessions to individual tracks...let me know and i will get you some good suggestions...

Speaking of iTunes/digital music, anyone know of any place to get free legaldownloads of MP3s? I'm not talking massive downloads, but a couple/several? I got 3 free ones from Amazon awhile back. I'm trying to round out my library. Thanks in advance.

Thanks, Nank! I appreciate the tips. I'll try out the self-help tips you posted... but I have a feeling I'll be winding up at the pretentiously-named Genius Bar at the local Apple Store. I'll post whatever resolution we settle upon.

Please do. I've been to some Apple Retail Stores. My advice - and theirs actually - is to either go early or later. They get crushed during the mid day. You should definitely make an online appointment before you go - and get there on time. This is a mad-crazy time of year for retailers - especially them.

Cheers!