The End Game

Magox

How well do they do their due diligence and vet the start ups now as compared to then.

Having gone through the ringer, I'd say that the due diligence of start ups is still very strong.

I'd say that part is debatable.

OK, go ahead and debate it.

Since we have some knowledgeable Finance people on board and we are talking about the societal benefits of modern Wall Street maybe someone can answer a couple questions.

What are the societal benefits of the following

1. High frequency trading and the related front running of orders

2. Credit default swaps which started off as insurance except without all those dull capital requirements but more importantly their function as bets on failure of financial instruments.

3.Allowing banks to arbitrage between the FED and Treasury.

Since we have some knowledgeable Finance people on board and we are talking about the societal benefits of modern Wall Street maybe someone can answer a couple questions.

I don't see a real benefit here.

2. Credit default swaps which started off as insurance except without all those dull capital requirements but more importantly their function as bets on failure of financial instruments.

The original intended purpose of CDS was fine, to hedge and offer protection for insurance purposes makes a lot of sense. It's the naked default swaps that I believe don't have any real purpose other than to speculate without actually owning the bond.

Efficiency, and just so you know there are 18 banks that are competing with one another.

If I am to understand the role of insurance as the promise to make whole in return for a premium which is calculated by the size of the obligation and the perceived risk - and if the tax payers are in the end the insurer for the to big to fails- then where is the tax payers premium.

If I am to understand the role of insurance as the promise to make whole in return for a premium which is calculated by the size of the obligation and the perceived risk - and if the tax payers are in the end the insurer for the to big to fails- then where is the tax payers premium.

That's where the outrage lies. Goldman recieves huge sums from AIG, and AIG used taxpayer funds to pay out their obligations.

Edited by Magox

Having gone through the ringer, I'd say that the due diligence of start ups is still very strong.

It sure is from the perspective of this venture capital fund-raising CFO.

That said, we live in a much more volatile world than we did decades ago, and the interconnectivity of all of us (financially, socially, etc) means business conditions can change for the worse (and better) in a hurry.

No problem with HFT; front running is illegal.

As regulators are learning, it's hard to differentiate hedging CDS vs speculative CDS. Anyhoo, we haven't seen a case where CDS speculators sank a company even though the fear is there. Putting a formal clearinghouse in place will cure alot of CDS ills.

So what? It's their trading desks' job. Besides, define "bank"

More efficient pricing across exchanges, leads to a more efficient market and fairer pricing for investors. And as GG Said...front-running is already illegal.

Promote affordable home ownership - cheap credit in general, really, which spurs economic growth.

See #1.

And I'm curious to know if you can properly define "arbitrage"...

That said, we live in a much more volatile world than we did decades ago, and the interconnectivity of all of us (financially, socially, etc) means business conditions can change for the worse (and better) in a hurry.

+1 [/Lehman Brothers]

No. Don't really pay much attention to you, frankly.

And I'm curious to know if you can properly define "arbitrage"...

first you play hard to get but now your curious- I knew I could reel you in.

more youtube for everybody.