December Movies: Tron: Legacy, Narnia:VOTDT, True Grit, and

Mark Vader

Just saw Toy Story 3 tonight....loved it :)

Did'nt that furnace scene have you on the edge of your seat?

Lotso was a great villain.

Pixar is awesome. This movie deserves to be taken seriously when Best Picture is announced.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pixar is awesome. This movie deserves to be taken seriously when Best Picture is announced.

Yeah, loved that scene and the scene when Andy gave his toys away. Very emotional.

See, I thought that Wahlberg did a really good job but got out-acted by a mile when it came to Bale. It was pretty easy to tell which was the naturally born actor and which one learned the trade.

Could'nt agree more, Sage. Christian Bale is one of the top actors today.

As soon as Buzz reached out for their hands, my heart just sank and I got really emotional lol. I don't care if that's a man card violation...SUE me...I loved every minute of this film and I'm glad you guys felt the same way :thumbsup:

I loved that this film appealed to their audience that grew up with the franchise from years ago. Just really, really well done....bravo,Pixar :worthy:

I've been watching several of these films while catching up on a lot that I've missed in the past ohhh... 10 years of not having time, having other media dedication (LOST), $, or interest level (e.g. I just watched the Star Wars prequels for the first time last week). So, I've been on a bit of a tear here since there's now not much quality of teevee.

That scene in Toy Story 3 lost a lot of its poignancy by their up-tempo music choice. It took a few moments before I got that they were all resigned to burning and decided to go out holding their friends' hands. A slower Michael Giachhino-type score would have worked much better there.

I don't know what month it came out (November?) but I just watched "127 Hours" and wow. There've been several pretty much one-actor movies in the past several years (starting with "Cast Away") and James Franco holds his own with any of them. "Into the Wild" was one that I saw near its release, and I have to say that Emile Hirsch blew me away in that. How he didn't at least get an Oscar nomination.... Anyway, in "127..." we know the outcome, but it's about the journey. And I think it helps that it has a much happier conclusion and the lesson of not cutting oneself off (so to speak!) from the rest of the world/those who care about us.

I've been watching several of these films while catching up on a lot that I've missed in the past ohhh... 10 years of not having time, having other media dedication (LOST), $, or interest level (e.g. I just watched the Star Wars prequels for the first time last week). So, I've been on a bit of a tear here since there's now not much quality of teevee.

That scene in Toy Story 3 lost a lot of its poignancy by their up-tempo music choice. It took a few moments before I got that they were all resigned to burning and decided to go out holding their friends' hands. A slower Michael Giachhino-type score would have worked much better there.

I don't know what month it came out (November?) but I just watched "127 Hours" and wow. There've been several pretty much one-actor movies in the past several years (starting with "Cast Away") and James Franco holds his own with any of them. "Into the Wild" was one that I saw near its release, and I have to say that Emile Hirsch blew me away in that. How he didn't at least get an Oscar nomination.... Anyway, in "127..." we know the outcome, but it's about the journey. And I think it helps that it has a much happier conclusion and the lesson of not cutting oneself off (so to speak!) from the rest of the world/those who care about us.

So what did you think of the prequels? I liked the first one better than most, found the second to have the least amt of "re-watch appeal", and the third to be the third best film of all the star wars films, behind the original (ep IV) and Empire (V).

Can't wait to see 127 days. And I agree about Emile Hirsch...fantastic, underrated actor.

Good point.It was a heart warming, positive ending. I really liked the directing in this movie. Potentially this movie could have been draggy. However he manages to keep the train moving forward.

So what did you think of the prequels? I liked the first one better than most, found the second to have the least amt of "re-watch appeal", and the third to be the third best film of all the star wars films, behind the original (ep IV) and Empire (V).

Can't wait to see 127 days. And I agree about Emile Hirsch...fantastic, underrated actor.

The Star Wars prequels were excellent other than Jar-Jar Binks and Hayden Christensen's at-times wooden delivery of the dialogue. I left Part III feeling drained that something that was so anticipated for so long (albeit, for me, a little longer) was over. And, combined with seeing "Black Swan" shortly after, I hate seeing Natalie Portman [white-fonted for spoiler] die on-screen. I also watched the redone IV-VI and I don't quite understand all the hostility toward them. Word is that all 6 are coming out on Blu-Ray in fall 2011 with loads of previously unseen extras, including several full-treated scenes that were dropped at the last minute for time consideration, including one showing Luke making his green lightsaber.

Next up are "300" and "We Are Marshall."

Good point.It was a heart warming, positive ending. I really liked the directing in this movie. Potentially this movie could have been draggy. However he manages to keep the train moving forward.

I was a little worried at the tri-split screen right at the very beginning... that it was going to be like a "24" kind of cinematography... but that was fleeting. The camcorder stuff was very touching and I wonder if they used Aron's actual words from that, or whether it was written up a bit. I said right away when he was trying to chip away at the stone that anything he was doing there (not much) would just make the stone jam even tighter. But I guess we'll try anything when there is an alternative to what he eventually has to do to get free.

Favorite line was where he derides the "Made in China multi-tool" b/c it's so true about all the cheap crap imports that we're surprised about when it doesn't hold up (they use cheap alloys to water down metals (this is especially frustrating when screws strip so easily these days b/c of that)) or do anything like what it's supposed to do.

One question: when he was rewinding the camera to the part with the diving with the two chicks and he paused on Kate Mara's ta-tas.... What was that? Was he trying to ummm... slap the monkey there?

All told, the most important thing to take from this film is the last line. Always tell someone or leave a note where you're going.

The Star Wars prequels were excellent other than Jar-Jar Binks and Hayden Christensen's at-times wooden delivery of the dialogue. I left Part III feeling drained that something that was so anticipated for so long (albeit, for me, a little longer) was over. And, combined with seeing "Black Swan" shortly after, I hate seeing Natalie Portman [white-fonted for spoiler] die on-screen. I also watched the redone IV-VI and I don't quite understand all the hostility toward them. Word is that all 6 are coming out on Blu-Ray in fall 2011 with loads of previously unseen extras, including several full-treated scenes that were dropped at the last minute for time consideration, including one showing Luke making his green lightsaber.

Next up are "300" and "We Are Marshall."

Glad you enjoyed them...I remember how taken aback I was in the theater during the second half of Ep.III...for anyone who has been on this ride since the very beginning back in the 70s, that was a pretty intense and emotional experience. I, too, feel that the backlash over the prequels was far too harsh. Anyone who expected them to live up to the original star wars and empire was fooling themselves...just wasn't going to happen.

Saw The King's Speech yesterday...oh my god. Simply one of the best films I've ever seen. Certainly, the best period piece. Perhaps I'm overreacting, but it's an absolute crime if Colin Firth doesn't win Best Actor for his portrayal of Albert.

Saw The King's Speech today, and I agree it was a very good film. Colin Firth & Geoffrey Rush are spectacular.

Right now I lean towards The Fighter as the better movie, but I would not be upset if The King's Speech won it all.

I haven't seen it yet, but I just wonder what's in "The King's Speech" that wasn't in Masterpiece Theatre's treatment of the same subject with "Bertie and Elizabeth" (2002). Besides all the therapy swearing I've heard about....

Edited by UConn James

I haven't seen it yet, but I just wonder what's in "The King's Speech" that wasn't in Masterpiece Theatre's treatment of the same subject with "Bertie and Elizabeth" (2002). Besides all the therapy swearing I've heard about....

Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush & Helena Bonham Carter.

Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush & Helena Bonham Carter.

OK, I preempted my line-up to watch "The King's Speech."

It was good and I think Rush will be the most memorable part. I have an inclination to not like Ms. Carter --- I can't explain it, but there it is. Colin Firth was very good, just as he's been in many roles (he is the best Mr. Darcy ever captured on celluloid in the 1995 version of Pride & Prejudice). Certainly two thumbs up, but I wouldn't put it as best even for this year.

Just, as I wrote previously, not sure it broke much new ground from "Bertie & Elizabeth." And that film was able to go a little deeper into the succession crisis (this placed a lot of stuff on Rush's character to both egg on and shoot down the notion of any "vaulting ambition" and the politics of Edward VIII's abdication was much more complex than what they papered over in this new treatment), showing the progression through the war until George VI's death. James Wilby really personalized Bertie much more than I got the sense in TKS. I'm sorry, I just don't need starpower to be wowed, and often in biopics like this, starpower is often a detriment.

I just saw True Grit last night and loved it. The only part I took issue with was the part with the snakes. That scene looked a bit cheesy to me. I would have rather not seen them beforehand, instead maybe just all of a sudden realizing that what happened happened. Just a small criticism, cause I thought the film was excellent and that girl was an amazing little actress.

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw True Grit last night and loved it. The only part I took issue with was the part with the snakes. That scene looked a bit cheesy to me. I would have rather not seen them beforehand, instead maybe just all of a sudden realizing that what happened happened. Just a small criticism, cause I thought the film was excellent and that girl was an amazing little actress.

It's been a long time since I've seen a movie this well-done, all around. I've seen most of the others in contention, and TG blows them away.

Coen brother films are sometimes a little odd, but it's usually a great ride.

It's been a long time since I've seen a movie this well-done, all around. I've seen most of the others in contention, and TG blows them away.

Coen brother films are sometimes a little odd, but it's usually a great ride.

Yep, I'm a big fan of theirs. No Country for Old Men is one of my favorite films of all time. The only one of theirs I absolutely hated was Barton Fink. Loved Lebowski, loved Fargo...

Yep, I'm a big fan of theirs. No Country for Old Men is one of my favorite films of all time. The only one of theirs I absolutely hated was Barton Fink. Loved Lebowski, loved Fargo...

Just saw NCFOM a couple of days ago and it's what prompted me even harder to see True Grit. Tommy Lee Jones personified that sheriff, and I think I'm always going to hold that first impression of Javier Bardem. I was watching that and especially in the conversation with the garage owner, thought immediately of Loughner in the Tucson, AZ, shootings --- cuckoo conversation, machine-like, no remorse. I didn't follow there toward the end --- what happened to the $2M? I'm not going to ask whether Shugar [white-fonted for spoiler]killed the girlfriend, as that seemed obvious.

Anyway, I'm recommending TG to anyone and everyone. I don't know if the academy has given Best Actor to someone two years in a row, but Jeff Daniels in this would be a very good time to start. The Coen Brothers' dialogues can lend themselves to an awful rigid delivery (they seem very high on annunciation of every syllable; people just didn't/don't talk like that) and in this sense, their movies are somewhat like watching a Shakespearean play in Olde English. Which is what made JD's job all the more great, b/c the lines flowed out of him with ease.

Just saw NCFOM a couple of days ago and it's what prompted me even harder to see True Grit. Tommy Lee Jones personified that sheriff, and I think I'm always going to hold that first impression of Javier Bardem. I was watching that and especially in the conversation with the garage owner, thought immediately of Loughner in the Tucson, AZ, shootings --- cuckoo conversation, machine-like, no remorse. I didn't follow there toward the end --- what happened to the $2M? I'm not going to ask whether Shugar [white-fonted for spoiler]killed the girlfriend, as that seemed obvious.

Anyway, I'm recommending TG to anyone and everyone. I don't know if the academy has given Best Actor to someone two years in a row, but Jeff Daniels in this would be a very good time to start. The Coen Brothers' dialogues can lend themselves to an awful rigid delivery (they seem very high on annunciation of every syllable; people just didn't/don't talk like that) and in this sense, their movies are somewhat like watching a Shakespearean play in Olde English. Which is what made JD's job all the more great, b/c the lines flowed out of him with ease.

If I had seen Bardem is some of his other girly films where he's some Don Juan type of dude, I probably wouldn't have had quite the same reaction to 'No Country..."...but since I was not familiar with the guy, he intimidated the HELL out of me. I thought his performance was just ridiculously strong...FRIENDO! :ph34r:

I'd have to watch the film again to know what happened to the cash, cause it's been a few years since I've seen it. I'm sure this is a film I'll be revisiting again soon...I need to have a double feature with this one and Tropic Thunder :thumbsup:

Oh, and I know you meant Jeff Bridges, not Jeff Daniels, and I agree...the guy is a fantastic actor, and he deserves consideration once again for sure. That film was cast perfectly.

If I had seen Bardem is some of his other girly films where he's some Don Juan type of dude, I probably wouldn't have had quite the same reaction to 'No Country..."...but since I was not familiar with the guy, he intimidated the HELL out of me. I thought his performance was just ridiculously strong...FRIENDO! :ph34r:

I'd have to watch the film again to know what happened to the cash, cause it's been a few years since I've seen it. I'm sure this is a film I'll be revisiting again soon...I need to have a double feature with this one and Tropic Thunder :thumbsup:

Oh, and I know you meant Jeff Bridges, not Jeff Daniels, and I agree...the guy is a fantastic actor, and he deserves consideration once again for sure. That film was cast perfectly.

:doh: And I just saw that PBS "American Masters" piece about him a couple of weeks ago. I'd blame the hour, but....

As I wrote before, I'm just now catching up on a lot of movie-viewing. Never saw Bardem in anything, and now that I've moseyed to IMDB, it seems all the more impressive the performance that the Coens got out of him and that he gave.

Tropic Thunder has been added to my list. Memento, We Are Marshall, and The Triplets of Belleville are up next.