NFL has $900M set aside for CBA negotiations

Beerball

Missed this when it first came out...

The money, $28 million from each of the 32 clubs, is in addition to reserves the league has saved that are sufficient to pay for two years of interest on roughly $1 billion of stadium debt that flows through the league, the sources said.

If they raised $900 million, why wouldn't they just raise another $100 million and pay off the debt? Why pay interest on it, when they could just pay the debt off period...that makes little sense...It would be like someone who has a $10,000 credit card, and has saved up enough money to pay it off, yet still just makes the minimum payments each week...

If they raised $900 million, why wouldn't they just raise another $100 million and pay off the debt? Why pay interest on it, when they could just pay the debt off period...that makes little sense...It would be like someone who has a $10,000 credit card, and has saved up enough money to pay it off, yet still just makes the minimum payments each week...

If I recall correctly, the NFL is guaranteeing or covering all the debt, only a portion.

Can anyone elaborate further?

Our lockout chest would be made of styrofoam and full of ice and cheap beer.

Seriously, though: are there any figures available as to which stadiums have league debt tied to them (as opposed to the individual owner/franchise, or a municipality)? I wonder how that is allocated.

kj

There are tax advantages to carrying debt for corporations. Also, debt can always (at least in an era of insanely cheap credit) be restructured, but lost equity is gone forever.

Two reasons...

1) I doubt the $1 billion is the full debt. A single stadium would cost that much. I'm sure it's only a portion that is guaranteed.

2) Tax Deductions. The deductions and depreciation are probably huge. It's better to take those over time and invest the other money elsewhere.