Kyle Calloway

yungmack

While not an elite lineman, Calloway was good enough to garner generally quite favorable reviews from scouts with a number of services and many teams. It seemed at the time that he was a solid "value" pick by the Bills, particularly considering the dearth of O-linemen on the roster. So I was very surprised when he was cut so quickly. But, hey, that happens. So I figured, well, he was a successful starter on a very good college team, good enough to get drafted, surely he'll at least wind up on somebody's practice squad. But no, he's not with anybody, at least that I could find. And that seems mighty odd to me.

My question to you guys who follow this sort of thing in depth (maybe John Wawrow, et al) is this: Did the Bills just miss wildly on this guy? Or is there something else going on here? Character issues perhaps? Or something physical?

This is a fairly minor question but it's been nagging at me.

While not an elite lineman, Calloway was good enough to garner generally quite favorable reviews from scouts with a number of services and many teams. It seemed at the time that he was a solid "value" pick by the Bills, particularly considering the dearth of O-linemen on the roster. So I was very surprised when he was cut so quickly. But, hey, that happens. So I figured, well, he was a successful starter on a very good college team, good enough to get drafted, surely he'll at least wind up on somebody's practice squad. But no, he's not with anybody, at least that I could find. And that seems mighty odd to me.

My question to you guys who follow this sort of thing in depth (maybe John Wawrow, et al) is this: Did the Bills just miss wildly on this guy? Or is there something else going on here? Character issues perhaps? Or something physical?

This was covered 4 months ago. He was just not good enough and did not play special teams either. Big step between college and pro level. If he is still working on his game he will most likely get a tryout with someone next year.

Actually this is a good point.

We need a RT and Calloway was regarded as a good RT prospect. How could he have been worse than Cornell Green.

He doesn't appear to be on the practice squad either.

If anyone has a full run down of his PreSeason performance I would be interested.

He must have been really really bad to get cut and not invited to the practice squad.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Calloway was the 2nd of their 7th round picks, which means he was just a hair away from being undrafted. Not sure how this means the Bills whiffed or blew it. They kept Cordaro Howard instead, who went undrafted, because he was more versatile and athletic.

Edited by nichebiche

are we really confused as to why a 7th round pick couldn't make the team? And if he was so highly reguarded by other teams, how come they didn't pick him up and at least put him on the practice squad?

The guy was good in college, they gave him a shot to make the team, he wasn't good enough. Is there any part of the story I am missing?

Simply not athletic enough for the NFL.

Word is that Calloway (a second-rounder at one time) had difficulty in pass blocking, and was relatively slow. He was a mauler type who relied more on strength than technique while at Iowa. He was considered a decent run-blocker. Riley Reiff, an OT currently at Iowa and on our Big Board at #191, caused Calloway to have to move inside for last year's bowl game.

Word is that Calloway (a second-rounder at one time) had difficulty in pass blocking, and was relatively slow. He was a mauler type who relied more on strength than technique while at Iowa. He was considered a decent run-blocker. Riley Reiff, an OT currently at Iowa and on our Big Board at #191, caused Calloway to have to move inside for last year's bowl game.

Thanks.

are we really confused as to why a 7th round pick couldn't make the team? And if he was so highly reguarded by other teams, how come they didn't pick him up and at least put him on the practice squad?

The guy was good in college, they gave him a shot to make the team, he wasn't good enough. Is there any part of the story I am missing?

I wasn't expressing surprise that a 7th round pick didn't make the team (although the Bills have a pretty good record with lower picks). What was surprising was how quickly he was cut (which is fairly unusual with draft picks), that he wasn't offered a practice squad slot, and that apparently no other team in the NFL or the CFL or the Arena League gave him a look. Which raised the question in my mind that the Bills horribly whiffed on the selection. Or that there is something that hasn't been made public. After all, a good many FAs who are cut seem to wind up at least getting a try-out with one or more teams.

As to being slow, or with poor technique, or just a mauler, those are things that should have been known before any training camps. And if he's so bad that not another single team even bothered to give him a look, then I'd want to seriously consider terminating the scout who championed him.

Like I said earlier, it's not that big of a deal, just something that's nagged at me lately.

Thank you for providing the voice of reason. :thumbsup:

I wasn't expressing surprise that a 7th round pick didn't make the team (although the Bills have a pretty good record with lower picks). What was surprising was how quickly he was cut (which is fairly unusual with draft picks), that he wasn't offered a practice squad slot, and that apparently no other team in the NFL or the CFL or the Arena League gave him a look. Which raised the question in my mind that the Bills horribly whiffed on the selection. Or that there is something that hasn't been made public. After all, a good many FAs who are cut seem to wind up at least getting a try-out with one or more teams.

As to being slow, or with poor technique, or just a mauler, those are things that should have been known before any training camps. And if he's so bad that not another single team even bothered to give him a look, then I'd want to seriously consider terminating the scout who championed him.

Like I said earlier, it's not that big of a deal, just something that's nagged at me lately.

it is simply impossible to whiff on a 7th round pick. you can hope to get lucky, like the Bills have with Stevie Johnson. but, when it comes to 7th rounders, their expectations are about the same as UFA's. some work out, some don't. they aren't gonna stick just because they were drafted. but, these are the same scouts that unearthed David Nelson, Antonio Coleman, Cordaro Howard, Donald Jones and Naaman Roosevelt as undrafted rookies this year alone. so, it would be a bad idea to fire the scouts over a 7th round pick. don't get wrapped up in how quickly they cut Calloway -- after all, they cut the cord pretty quickly with Trent once they realized he couldn't play. this front office obviously saw something in person over the course of OTA's and the start of training camp that told them the kid couldn't cut it in the NFL and they acted decisively. but again, you whiff in the early part of the draft. it's absolutely impossible to whiff in the the 7th round. no harm, no foul....

it is simply impossible to whiff on a 7th round pick. you can hope to get lucky, like the Bills have with Stevie Johnson. but, when it comes to 7th rounders, their expectations are about the same as UFA's. some work out, some don't. they aren't gonna stick just because they were drafted. but, these are the same scouts that unearthed David Nelson, Antonio Coleman, Cordaro Howard, Donald Jones and Naaman Roosevelt as undrafted rookies this year alone. so, it would be a bad idea to fire the scouts over a 7th round pick. don't get wrapped up in how quickly they cut Calloway -- after all, they cut the cord pretty quickly with Trent once they realized he couldn't play. this front office obviously saw something in person over the course of OTA's and the start of training camp that told them the kid couldn't cut it in the NFL and they acted decisively. but again, you whiff in the early part of the draft. it's absolutely impossible to whiff in the the 7th round. no harm, no foul....

If Calloway couldn't contribute on special teams, and he wasn't markedly better than our other marginal o-linemen, might as well cut him and bring someone else in for a look-see, AKA Manny Wrotto.

Not trying to hijack the thread....but I wonder whats up with Wang even more then Calloway as Wang was a higher pick.......

Wang isn't athletic enough to play the RT spot?

Stiff joke coming....

I wonder about Wang, too. But how 'bout that line not giving up a sack to the Steelers...