LOST - havn't discussed in a while

stevestojan

I have been watching the past 5 episodes or so...

Is there actually supposed to be a real puzzle to solve or are you guys just discussing this in general? i.e.  are there "real clues" to some answer that gets revealed intenionally at the end??

155220[/snapback]

I think the show is just very subtle, so if you look around enough you can find things that are related, kind of like the backgammon reference earlier in this thread.

Of ocurse, whether they have any REAL meaning is also up for debate...

CW

Guest Best SHow Ever

I do not know one person who watches this show and it is a shame because I have never looked forward to tv like i do on WED nights. This show is fantastic like a new movie each week . the character development and twists get even more intriguing. I just dont know how they can keep it up longer than 1 season.

Congrats ABC you have a winner here

I have only watched the past three episodes (got in the game late). My gf forced me to watch and I was pleasently surprised. It's well cast and so far very good.

A couple thoughts:

1) You really thought Charlie was going to die? They completley ripped that scene off from "The Abyss". It was almost shot for shot the scene where Mary Elizabeth Master Antonio (the longest name ever) is revived from drowning by Ed Harris.

2) Is it just me, or do you think the only role Mathew Fox (Jack) can get is one where he has to grow stubble?

3) The tracker's name is John Locke? I don't think that is a coincidence. Perhaps Locke's philosophy has something to do with what is going on with the show's plot. I'm not sure how Locke's Treaties on Government fit, but he wrote that he wanted each of us to "use reason to search after truth rather than simply accept the opinion of authorities or be subject to superstition". I dunno how that fits, just something to chew on.

SPOILER

4) What did Locke find at the end of this last episode? I think it's either a door into the "other's" shelter, or it's the wreckage from another plane. Thoughts?

I have only watched the past three episodes (got in the game late). My gf forced me to watch and I was pleasently surprised. It's well cast and so far very good.

A couple thoughts:

1) You really thought Charlie was going to die? They completley ripped that scene off from "The Abyss". It was almost shot for shot the scene where Mary Elizabeth Master Antonio (the longest name ever) is revived from drowning by Ed Harris.

2) Is it just me, or do you think the only role Mathew Fox (Jack) can get is one where he has to grow stubble?

3) The tracker's name is John Locke? I don't think that is a coincidence. Perhaps Locke's philosophy has something to do with what is going on with the show's plot. I'm not sure how Locke's Treaties on Government fit, but he wrote that he wanted each of us to "use reason to search after truth rather than simply accept the opinion of authorities or be subject to superstition". I dunno how that fits, just something to chew on.

SPOILER

4) What did Locke find at the end of this last episode? I think it's either a door into the "other's" shelter, or it's the wreckage from another plane. Thoughts?

155274[/snapback]

You know what's really great about this show...each person who is posting on this thread has picked up something that the others have not. I think that there are a tremendous amount of subtleties in this show, some of which mean something, some of which probably mean nothing.

And that metal thing? Who knows...another airplane is most likely (given its location up on a hill side). Some one is going to suggest alient craft, and I hope to God its not, 'cause that will be the end of watching for me. I doubt it would get that cheesy though.

You know what's really great about this show...each person who is posting on this thread has picked up something that the others have not.  I think that there are a tremendous amount of subtleties in this show, some of which mean something, some of which probably mean nothing.

And that metal thing?  Who knows...another airplane is most likely (given its location up on a hill side).  Some one is going to suggest alient craft, and I hope to God its not, 'cause that will be the end of watching for me.  I doubt it would get that cheesy though.

155373[/snapback]

agreed, aliens will kill it for me, too.

Maybe my TV was showing a different episode. Charlie never drowned, Doc never ripped Charlie's shirt open exposing his bossom to perform CPR :P and I don't think Charlie and Doc kissed. So other than the fact that both had CPR performed, where is the ripped off scene?

I also have been seeing or linking together the wishes of people,and with what actually happens,I would have bought more into this had Charlie actually found Peanut Butter for Claire..

155128[/snapback]

Conversely, the way that whole peanut butter thing played out was, as I recall, Charlie pretending an empty jar had peanut butter in it...which could easily just be a variation on the general theme "Reality is what you make it" (i.e. "Reality" is Sayid finding the French woman because he wants to...) Just speculation on my part, I have to admit...and I'd feel a LOT more confident in that if I could remember whether Claire asked for peanut butter, or for a jar of peanut butter...

I have been watching the past 5 episodes or so...

Is there actually supposed to be a real puzzle to solve or are you guys just discussing this in general? i.e.  are there "real clues" to some answer that gets revealed intenionally at the end??

155220[/snapback]

The puzzle is trying to figure out what the hell is going on...it seems that every little thing has some meaning, and something from three episodes back that seemed irrelevent might suddenly become an "Oh, that's what that was" item next week. A very subtle and well-knit story...it's like an X-Files episode expanded into a full season and fleshed out so there's no holes.

Ultimately, I think the show's essentially a morality play investigating the theme of "finding your purpose in life". But really, it works on a bunch of different levels: thematic, character development, plot...

Ya know what I was just thinking about?

Remeber when Jack first saw his dad on the island? The guy all clean, etc... Then he chased him around, and finally found his coffin, empty?

Now, this is the second "Jack and his dad" episode, but it goes back to when they were doctors...

Do you think that Jack's dad killed himself after jack ratted him out?

Or did they tell how Jack's dad died? I don't quite remember....

Oh, and by the way, was last nights the first one to end with out a song being played to ease the tension?

Maybe my TV was showing a different episode. Charlie never drowned, Doc never ripped Charlie's shirt open exposing his bossom to perform CPR :P and I don't think Charlie and Doc kissed. So other than the fact that both had CPR performed, where is the ripped off scene?

155520[/snapback]

Well, minus the drowning, I just meant the whole not believing he is dead and stopping only to restart again and save him.

But it is a fun show

The puzzle is trying to figure out what the hell is going on...it seems that every little thing has some meaning, and something from three episodes back that seemed irrelevent might suddenly become an "Oh, that's what that was" item next week.  A very subtle and well-knit story...it's like an X-Files episode expanded into a full season and fleshed out so there's no holes. 

Ultimately, I think the show's essentially a morality play investigating the theme of "finding your purpose in life".  But really, it works on a bunch of different levels: thematic, character development, plot...

155570[/snapback]

I guess what I am asking is if there is a deliberate "we are leaving clues for the viewer to find so that they can solve the puzzle of the show" or are we just talking about a good script? i.e. is this a Murder/Mystery Dinner Party or just a story?

I guess what I am asking is if there is a deliberate "we are leaving clues for the viewer to find so that they can solve the puzzle of the show" or are we just talking about a good script? i.e. is this a Murder/Mystery Dinner Party or just a story?

155586[/snapback]

We don't know... :P

CW

155586[/snapback]

If I had to bet...good script writers. They obviously know where they want to go and how they want to get there with this series...and with that in mind, they write little things in to the earlier scripts that seem irrelevent at the time, but become important in retrospect in later episodes.

And now that I think about it...half the puzzle is finding out what the damned puzzle is. At first I thought the series was figuring out how bunch of people on an island were going to survive. Then I thought it was figuring out what was so special about or wrong with the damned island itself. Now I think it's figuring out why each of these people survived the plane Rosen and is on the island. In a month, I'll probably think the puzzle is something else. So basically, when you get right down to it, I have absolutely no !@#$ing idea what the show's really about...and yet, it's still an awfully engrossing and well-written show despite that.

If I had to bet...good script writers.  They obviously know where they want to go and how they want to get there with this series...and with that in mind, they write little things in to the earlier scripts that seem irrelevent at the time, but become important in retrospect in later episodes. 

155608[/snapback]

Exactly right Tom. This is sadly one of the few shows left on TV that uses a Bible for the series. Meaning, they write down the entire story arch first and then they write the episodes to fit the Bible.

Most shows today forgo that concept which results in meandering storylines and lots of "coincidences". Thankfully Lost doesn't do that.

theres so many twists and turns that i dont really sit there and try and figure it all out by myself, rather just watch it and when they tell me then i'll know. i did find out while doin a little research that jack was gonna be killed off in the pilot but the producers decided to keep him alive...my main wonder is why didnt locke get eaten by the "monster" when he came face to face with it and is that lady who snatched up sayid gonna turn out to be good and was ethan (and possibly whoever else) the people who she was runnin after with the gun or was it the monsters she was worried about

Exactly right Tom. This is sadly one of the few shows left on TV that uses a Bible for the series. Meaning, they write down the entire story arch first and then they write the episodes to fit the Bible.

Most shows today forgo that concept which results in meandering storylines and lots of "coincidences". Thankfully Lost doesn't do that.

155625[/snapback]

There's another show like that --

Veronica Mars.

If you like the plot twists of Lost, you'll probably like VM as well. They did an interview iwth the main character on the radio a couple days ago, and she said that even teh actors don't get the script until the last second to keep the mystery.

Other shows with excellent writing:

Firefly (cancelled after ~15 episodes, but a movie is coming out next year with the same actors)

Angel

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

CW

They have actually been on the island for almost 2 weeks.. a few episodes ago Syaid went looking for help on the island, andJack said " He's been gone for 5 days, but he knows how to survive out there". And the food lasted them 4 days, before they realized they were out. So almost 2 weeks is abvout right.