Anyone see the Chris Henry story on the pre-game?

The Poojer

Here's the link. I actually don't know why anybody wouldn't be an organ donor.....Is there a religious reason or something why anybody wouldn't just check the box on your license? (I actually have heard it proposed and I wish it were true - that the default should be donor, and if you want to opt out, you check the box. I think most people just don't check it because they don't think about it. And, those who have a reason not to donate, can just check it):

Chris Henry

Here's the link. I actually don't know why anybody wouldn't be an organ donor.....Is there a religious reason or something why anybody wouldn't just check the box on your license? (I actually have heard it proposed and I wish it were true - that the default should be donor, and if you want to opt out, you check the box. I think most people just don't check it because they don't think about it. And, those who have a reason not to donate, can just check it):

Chris Henry

Because I doubt if I have a useful organ left in my body :beer:

Chris Henry was a wife beating dirtbag. He wasted his fame and fortune by jumping into the back of a pickup truck driven by his wife who was in fear for her life. He couldn't even donate his own organs, he had to leave that decision up to someone else too. Stop immortalizing him.

Chris Henry was a wife beating dirtbag. He wasted his fame and fortune by jumping into the back of a pickup truck driven by his wife who was in fear for her life. He couldn't even donate his own organs, he had to leave that decision up to someone else too. Stop immortalizing him.

The decision is always left up to family. Doesn't matter what your drivers license says...it has no bearing at all on whether they can harvest your organs. Next of kin has the final say.

don't be an ass....no where did i say anything about what a goood deed he did...his mom did something incredible to help the lives of 4 individuals that also helped countless others associated with those 4 individuals....this had ZERO to do with the kind of person chris henry was...this was about what happened after an individual died...

don't be an ass....no where did i say anything about what a goood deed he did...his mom did something incredible to help the lives of 4 individuals that also helped countless others associated with those 4 individuals....this had ZERO to do with the kind of person chris henry was...this was about what happened after an individual died...

I'm not trying to be cynical, but in my mind she did the right thing. I don't really put that in the something incredible category. I think it's incredible when people give their kidneys, bone marrow, etc. (while still alive!)........My family better give my organs, per my license, or I'll be pissed!

I understand she did the right thing...i think what is at hand here is there are people that would not have heard this story and perhaps not understood the impact of doing such an act. I understand that there are plenty of regular joe's and jane's that do this everyday without any fanfare. Someone in the situation that Chris Henry's mother is in has a vehicle in which she can show the world the importance of organ donation. It certainly opened my eyes of the impact it has on the living. I am not trying to glorify Chris Henry or make a martyr out of his mother....it was a very touching story and if it helped one person face themselves and understand the importance of organ donation then the story was well worth telling....

I'm not trying to be cynical, but in my mind she did the right thing. I don't really put that in the something incredible category. I think it's incredible when people give their kidneys, bone marrow, etc. (while still alive!)........My family better give my organs, per my license, or I'll be pissed!

I understand she did the right thing...i think what is at hand here is there are people that would not have heard this story and perhaps not understood the impact of doing such an act. I understand that there are plenty of regular joe's and jane's that do this everyday without any fanfare. Someone in the situation that Chris Henry's mother is in has a vehicle in which she can show the world the importance of organ donation. It certainly opened my eyes of the impact it has on the living. I am not trying to glorify Chris Henry or make a martyr out of his mother....it was a very touching story and if it helped one person face themselves and understand the importance of organ donation then the story was well worth telling....

Oh yeah, definitely. It really did a great job of that. In my case, I'm going to double check my license and make sure my family remembers my intentions....I'm sure that others will do similar things, and it was a great great piece on making people aware of how much good (an understatement) can come from organ donation.

Wow talk about uncalled for. I knew Chris from WVU and couldn't stand him, but this is just atrocious.

I'll tell you why it's incredible...

I have had some experience with this having worked in hospitals the better part of the last ten years. For anyone, especially a parent of a young person or, God forbid, a child, the mere shock of their death is enough for anyone to handle. There is a very small window where organs and tissue can be harvested, and there aren't all that many viable candidates to begin with depending on the circumstances of the death. That being said, it is NOT an easy thing to do to say, "sure, I just found out that my child is dead, but yeah, go ahead and take out all his organs, take some skin issue, maybe a cornea or two, etc." The conversation is VERY, VERY difficult and uncomfortable. I give anyone, especially a mother, all the respect in the world when they can find the inner strength to let go and agree to the organ donation. It's really not something to be made light of at all (not saying you're doing that, just making a general statement).

I'll tell you why it's incredible...

I have had some experience with this having worked in hospitals the better part of the last ten years. For anyone, especially a parent of a young person or, God forbid, a child, the mere shock of their death is enough for anyone to handle. There is a very small window where organs and tissue can be harvested, and there aren't all that many viable candidates to begin with depending on the circumstances of the death. That being said, it is NOT an easy thing to do to say, "sure, I just found out that my child is dead, but yeah, go ahead and take out all his organs, take some skin issue, maybe a cornea or two, etc." The conversation is VERY, VERY difficult and uncomfortable. I give anyone, especially a mother, all the respect in the world when they can find the inner strength to let go and agree to the organ donation. It's really not something to be made light of at all (not saying you're doing that, just making a general statement).

I'll defer to your experience.........Does the decision window have to be before the person is pronounced dead? Is it too late once they are dead? Then, I can see a real problem. Or, I guess the other way it's a problem is if people haven't given any thought to this at all. My uncle just died and he had all along made arrangements to give his body to UB. He said he wasn't going to need it anymore. Those are my thoughts exactly.

I'll defer to your experience.........Does the decision window have to be before the person is pronounced dead? Is it too late once they are dead? Then, I can see a real problem. Or, I guess the other way it's a problem is if people haven't given any thought to this at all. My uncle just died and he had all along made arrangements to give his body to UB. He said he wasn't going to need it anymore. Those are my thoughts exactly.

Yep, once cardiac death hits, the window is pretty much gone. Organs need to be perfused in order to remain viable, so with cardiac death that obviously stops. That's why I say there aren't really as many opportunities to harvest as people think. If they are lucky enough to harvest, and tissue death hasn't occurred, then you have a small window (when the organs are in the cooler) while on ice to get them to their new recipient, and hopefully get the blood flowing through them again. These teams are VERY well organized and move at the drop of a hat, and it's very interesting to see how the process works. I think it's good for people to be aware of these issues ahead of time, as you mentioned. Also, it's a WHOLE lot more than 4 people that can be helped by one single donor. I don't remember the number, but it's a lot of folks who can benefit.