Think Chan can handle Vince Young?

Haven Moses

Well, considering the parts of the last two seasons (not this one) were Young’s best, and how he is very mobile, I think Chan could do wonders with him – Just look what he is doing with Fitz and what he has done with Thigpen and K. Stewart. I definitely think Vince could be a killer QB under Chan – but that’s not the point.

Levi Brown was on the roster through the preseason – at which point the staff felt he wasn’t good enough to keep around and cut him, not put him on the PS, but cut him. 31 other teams agreed as Levi sat around on his arse in Alabama. Then we decided to bring him back after we cut Trent. So, who is the better 3rd string QB, Levi “not 1 team in the NFL liked me enough to have me on the PS” Brown, or Vince “I’m a head case but still very talented and the former rookie of the year and Coach Chan loves mobile QBs and has proven he can take mediocre players and turn them into statistical studs” Young.

Yea, I vote Young. Let him battle for the backup role. We are only 1 play from Brohm starting (although I like him he may be horrible, he has no starting experience, where as Young has a lot) VY is gonna be a FA so why not, it wont cost us a thing, someone has to be 3rd string.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it wouldn't be TSW without "one" person out there to start this thread. There's always one. Really man, aren't we doing ok at quaterback right now?

Chan struggled to pick between Edwards and Fitz.

Anyway, Young is a bust. He's likely retarded also.

Is it not possible for you to say a positive about the bills without a negative thrown in? Gailey gets rid of Trent(good thing) but he waited 2 games to do it. Big deal. At least he got it right. Give the man credit where credit is do.

Sorry but Brohm cant play, get over it

You don't know that. A good majority of us (me included) thought we knew what we had in Fitz. Boy were we wrong. Maybe Brohm will light it up too. And the poster just said for a game. And it makes sense for the team to know if we're set at qb so we know what to do in the draft. But like someone already said, he won't get a chance unless Fitz gets hurt.

Not sure of the thoughts on Young as a QB here, but a lot of people were bashing Vick too. Look who's laughing now?

Never said Vick couldn't play He is just a poor excuse for a human....and I won't pay to see him play!! And maybe he has grown up. But, he is still a convicted criminal...and not a good example for our youth. Now, Vince Young...not a criminal...but mentally not a pro yet.(maybe not even an adult yet) Somebody above said a Train wreck....I agree with that. So, please don't put that problem on Chan!!!

Well, considering the parts of the last two seasons (not this one) were Young's best, and how he is very mobile, I think Chan could do wonders with him – Just look what he is doing with Fitz and what he has done with Thigpen and K. Stewart. I definitely think Vince could be a killer QB under Chan – but that's not the point.

I think we need to make a major distinction between what Chan Gailey did with "reclamation projects". To Gailey's credit, he doesn't try to force his system on a player, but adapts any system to fit the qualities and strengths of a player as well as minimize the limitations of that player. Thigpen and Stewart were players with serious limitations as passers, and yet had great athletic ability. Gailey, in turn, developed Slash for Stewart and The Pistol for Thigpen to take advantage of their running ability, and disguise their limitations as regular dropback NFL pocket quarterbacks.

That is not at all the case with Fitzpatrick. Fitz is a dropback NFL pocket passer who happens to be able to run a bit. Gailey didn't design a gimmicky offense to take advantage of his running ability and use his unique talents, he taught him how to be a regular bona fide NFL QB who drops back, reads defenses and fires the ball to WRs. It's a complete difference. And to just lump Stewart and Thigpen in with Fitz as guys that were good under Gailey for one year but aren't good NFL QBs is a disservice to Gailey, as well as Fitzpatrick.

Vince Young has similar limitations as an NFL passer despite decent arm strength.

Fitz's limitations in accuracy MAY preclude him from being a franchise QB. But he has a much better chance at it than Thigpen or Stewart who were not typical let alone good NFL passers.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

I think we need to make a major distinction between what Chan Gailey did with "reclamation projects". To Gailey's credit, he doesn't try to force his system on a player, but adapts any system to fit the qualities and strengths of a player as well as minimize the limitations of that player. Thigpen and Stewart were players with serious limitations as passers, and yet had great athletic ability. Gailey, in turn, developed Slash for Stewart and The Pistol for Thigpen to take advantage of their running ability, and disguise their limitations as regular dropback NFL pocket quarterbacks.

That is not at all the case with Fitzpatrick. Fitz is a dropback NFL pocket passer who happens to be able to run a bit. Gailey didn't design a gimmicky offense to take advantage of his running ability and use his unique talents, he taught him how to be a regular bona fide NFL QB who drops back, reads defenses and fires the ball to WRs. It's a complete difference. And to just lump Stewart and Thigpen in with Fitz as guys that were good under Gailey for one year but aren't good NFL QBs is a disservice to Gailey, as well as Fitzpatrick.

Vince Young has similar limitations as an NFL passer despite decent arm strength.

Fitz's limitations in accuracy MAY preclude him from being a franchise QB. But he has a much better chance at it than Thigpen or Stewart who were not typical let alone good NFL passers.

thats exactly what I was getting at. Why couldnt he do the same with Young? Isnt his past success with similiar guys a good indicator that he could also work well with Young? If we are going to stick with Fitz next season and beyond (im not implying replace him with VY here) it may be in our best interest to add a Cam Newton or Locker in the later rounds of the draft. In 4 years they could take over. Like I said, somone has to be 3rd string QB.

thats exactly what I was getting at. Why couldnt he do the same with Young? Isnt his past success with similiar guys a good indicator that he could also work well with Young? If we are going to stick with Fitz next season and beyond (im not implying replace him with VY here) it may be in our best interest to add a Cam Newton or Locker in the later rounds of the draft. In 4 years they could take over. Like I said, somone has to be 3rd string QB.

Okay first, VY isn't a free agent. He has one more year left on his deal. Second, the owner says he isn't trading him. Third, if they do decide to trade him, you're not giving up picks for a 3rd string QB. Finally, if they cut him, he isn't going to a bad football team to be a 3rd string QB. He's coming off his best statistical season and is 30-17 as a starter.

As much as I think VY could be a good QB in the league in the right situation, it's not happening in Buffalo...

I wonder how many off games it would take for Ralph to suggest that a "3rd stringer" that he was dropping a bat load of coin on needed to waltz on up the depth chart.

I'm saying Gailey couldnt do the same thing he is doing with Fitz, which is make VY into an NFL Qb. He could only do what he did with Stewart and Thigpen, which is make him into a gimmicky running QB. Vince Young is already good at that.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog