Cassey Wasserman Interview..good for Bills?

plenzmd1

So I know people hate Simmons, but I think he is great. So on this Podcast, he interviews Casey Wasserman and is really a great and informative interview.Interview starts at the 45 minute mark.

At about the 60 minute mark, Joe Mead, Simmons' producer and Bills fan, ask Wasserman to leave the Bills in Buffalo. He goes on to say he believes the Bills will be in WNY long term. Sites the fans, the history, etc, but especially the desire of the NFL to build the Canadian market and how the Bills are instrumental in that.g

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/player?rd=1#/podcenter/?autoplay=1&callsign=ESPNRADIO&id=5820830

Good 15 minutes to get some perspective from the guy behind building the biggest threat to our beloved Bills!!

Really? Cassey Wasserman said that? I'm glad to see someone from LA do their homework about the Bills, the guys behind the other stadium (Roski and his lapdog Semcken) were salivating over the Bills about a year ago for no good reason. My money's on Wasserman's group to get it, their proposal isn't in the middle of Death Valley and actually has many more events in mind than just ten games of football.

Slightly OT, but I like Simmons too, especially as an interviewer. Aside from the occasional reality TV podcast, the BS Report is great; he knows his stuff and I'll take his columns over Peter King or Reilly any day. Additionally, when he took a shot at Buffalo as not being a viable city for the NFL, he got a mailbag full of complaints; he ate his crow like a man, corrected the mistake and went out of his way to say what good homefield advantage we have at the Ralph from then on.

So I know people hate Simmons, but I think he is great. So on this Podcast, he interviews Casey Wasserman and is really a great and informative interview.Interview starts at the 45 minute mark.

At about the 60 minute mark, Joe Mead, Simmons' producer and Bills fan, ask Wasserman to leave the Bills in Buffalo. He goes on to say he believes the Bills will be in WNY long term. Sites the fans, the history, etc, but especially the desire of the NFL to build the Canadian market and how the Bills are instrumental in that.g

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/player?rd=1#/podcenter/?autoplay=1&callsign=ESPNRADIO&id=5820830

Good 15 minutes to get some perspective from the guy behind building the biggest threat to our beloved Bills!!

Really? Cassey Wasserman said that? I'm glad to see someone from LA do their homework about the Bills, the guys behind the other stadium (Roski and his lapdog Semcken) were salivating over the Bills about a year ago for no good reason. My money's on Wasserman's group to get it, their proposal isn't in the middle of Death Valley and actually has many more events in mind than just ten games of football.

Slightly OT, but I like Simmons too, especially as an interviewer. Aside from the occasional reality TV podcast, the BS Report is great; he knows his stuff and I'll take his columns over Peter King or Reilly any day. Additionally, when he took a shot at Buffalo as not being a viable city for the NFL, he got a mailbag full of complaints; he ate his crow like a man, corrected the mistake and went out of his way to say what good homefield advantage we have at the Ralph from then on.

I thought it was good too. I believe Joe Mead is from Dunkirk/Fredonia area actually.

I thought it was good too. I believe Joe Mead is from Dunkirk/Fredonia area actually.

If not Joe himself (something tells me he might have grown up in New England), his family definitely has ties to the Buffalo area; it's a running gag on the BS Report to rag on Joe whenever the Bills come up ("Joe Mead's Buffalo Bills").

chargers are most likely going. majority owner just asked goldman sachs to help him sell his share. stadium is a complete piece of ****. can't attract a super bowl in a warm weather city where the main industry is tourism. only sold out one game this year (blacked out home opener and the monday nighter against division rival denver might get blacked out this week). fair weather fan base. newly struggling economy. city full of transplants. chargers started in LA.

sorry grammer police :beer:

Edited by uticaclub

Really? Cassey Wasserman said that? I'm glad to see someone from LA do their homework about the Bills...

I was listening the other day to the Loose Cannons show on Fox Sports Radio on XM... They're based in LA, and they were talking about the possible NFL teams to move there. They all dismissed Buffalo quickly as not a good candidate to move and focused on J'ville, St. Louis, Oakland and San Diego. They didn't really go into the reasons WHY they thought Buffalo wouldn't move, but at least they all seemed to recognize it wasn't likely.

The reasons why were put forth in the original post. Jville and San Diego seem the likeliest candidates at this point.

That being said, eventually the bills will need major stadium renovations or a new stadium altogether. If not they will be in danger of going away to canada or london permanently.

The reasons why were put forth in the original post. Jville and San Diego seem the likeliest candidates at this point.

That being said, eventually the bills will need major stadium renovations or a new stadium altogether. If not they will be in danger of going away to canada or london permanently.

Regardless of what the stadium fairies in LA say, the Ralph does not need major stadium renovations. We had them less than 15 years ago, bringing the Ralph well into the 21st century of revenue-generating stadia (ditched 7,000 general admission seats for club seating and more suites). Maybe upgrade the bathrooms to ditch the urinal troughs, but that's hardly major.

The only problem is getting corporations for those suites.

I live in Youngstown, about an hour away from Cleveland. Moved here in 1989 from Buffalo. When Modell moved the Browns to Baltimore in the early 1990's (don't remember the specific year), there was such a huge backlash that the NFL awarded a new franchise to Cleveland. The backlash came not only from the fans, but from advertisers and businesses as well. So the NFL took a financial hit from the move. I'm sure it wasn't all that significant in terms of the NFL's total revenue, but they learned how bad it is for public relations to have a team with a loyal and avid fan base, lots of tradition, and a local economy dependent on the team to suddenly not have that team.

I would think that the backlash from the Bills leaving Buffalo would make the Browns move look like a tea party.

I can't imagine the NFL as a group would be comfortable at all with the prospect of having an entire region (all of Western New York, parts of Pennsylvania, and an entire region of Canada) angry and feeling betrayed. It could happen, but I think Jacksonville would be the first choice.

Edited by gobillsinytown

chargers are most likely going. majority owner just asked goldman sachs to help him sell his share. stadium is a complete piece of ****. can't attract a super bowl in a warm weather city where the main industry is tourism. only sold out one game this year (blacked out home opener and the monday nighter against division rival denver might get blacked out this week). fair weather fan base. newly struggling economy. city full of transplants. chargers started in LA.

sorry grammer police :beer:

Chargers are going to get a new stadium beside Petco Park. The city and Chargers are working on a deal now behind closed doors. My money is on Jacksonville to move.

Chargers are going to get a new stadium beside Petco Park. The city and Chargers are working on a deal now behind closed doors. My money is on Jacksonville to move.

That is not necessarily true....Yes they want a stadium downtwon, but San Diego is virtually bankrupt. The Chargers have spent the past 8 years trying to find some sort of resolution to a new stadium and it hasnt happened. I hope they stay here. They have been here 50 years and that means something. It is a bandwagon town for sure, but there are legit,loyal fans here trust me!...Still I say it is 50/50 they leave.

There is a big buzz here this week with Alex Spanos reportedly selling 36% of the team. His kids will retain 60% and it is rumored AEG/Wasserman will buy the other share and build the stadium in downtown L.A. for the team to move into in 2015. People are concerned, but nothing like it would be if you heard Ralph was selling a share to interests potentially in L.A.. Buffalo fans are 1,000 more concerned and involved with the team than the San Diego community seems to be....

Jacksonville absolutely should be the team to go. They have no tradition, heritage or exceptional fan base. They cant fill the stadium even by tarping off huge sections. It is a college town. College ball will remain there and the fan base will heal. Its a no brainer, followed by the Rams returning to their rightful home...

The Bills are not moving to LA. I wish people would stop freaking out about it.

I totally agree with that.

This is plain stupidity.

The team that has the weakest fan base AND is a serious contender to move, IMO, is Jacksonville.

The Jags have not been really competitive since Brunell left, and have to block out entire sections of their stadium every game because they don't sell out. The Bills, on the other hand have an abysmal team that is slowly rebuilding and sell out every year, and have regional support from southern Ontario, along with a group of ex-Bills like Jim Kelly who promise to step in when the team is up for sale.

I also think that when you go down the list, the only other teams that might make sense are the Rams and Raiders. The Vikes are not leaving Minnesota. Neither are the 49ers. But I'd be hesitant to think that Al Davis would want to return to Los Angeles after having made the move a couple of times back-and-forth already.

I'd say Jags, Rams, Raiders. In that order.

The Bills aren't even a realistic possibility.