Is this the NFL's longest chronoligical losing streak?

I actually first thought about this a few years ago: Cincinnati has not defeated Buffalo in a game that counts since the AFC Championship Game in January 1989, more than 21 years ago.

Sure, we have only played them, I believe 8 times during the regular season since then and we did lose to them in a preseason game, but I have never heard of any other set of teams where one has not beaten the other for 21 years. The one that really told a bit of the tail was a lousy Mularkey team going into Cincy and beating the eventual North Division champs in 05. The most recent; JP's great game against them (maybe his best as a Bill) at the Ralph.

Maybe it has been done before but I don't think there is any other current streak longer than this one.

No biggy, just something I've thought about whenever we play Cincy.

No, the Chargers beat the Raiders something like 12 times in a row before losing to them earlier this season.

Edit...And the *Patriots streak over us has to be more than 10...:(

Nevermind, you said chronological. My mistake.

Edited by cantankerous

No, the Chargers beat the Raiders something like 12 times in a row before losing to them earlier this season.

Edit...And the *Patriots streak over us has to be more than 10...:(

Nevermind, you said chronological. My mistake.

No worries, and, not that anyone cares but I think I am going to try and get to the bottom of this.

...i just don't know how.

:P

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Which_NFL_team_has_the_longest_losing_streak_to_the_SAME_team

"The New EnglandPatriots (as of 9/15/09) have won 12 straight against the Buffalo Bills. That is the longest losing streak currently.

However New England beat us on 9/26/10 by a score of 38-30 and by a score of 17-10 on December 20, 2009 so I'm pretty sure the streak now stands at 14 games.

The Buffalo Bills have beaten the Cincinnati Bengals 9 games straight. The Bengals have not beaten the Bills since 1989. That is the fourth longest streak as far as losses and the longest as far as time."

The most consecutive losses by one team to all opponents is 26 games (1976-77 Tampa Bay Buccaneers).

The Buffalo Bills lost all 20 games they played against the Miami Dolphins during the 1970s. I can't confirm it but this may be the record for the most losses by one NFL team to another.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

It's chronological dudes. Not game streak.

I don't know where to find the exact place but this is a good place to start.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/#headtohead

In a reading comprehension test, this gang would fail miserably. if you don't know what "chronilogical" means, look it up [Thurman].

And, in response to the post about the Tampa in Buffalo streak (33 years before playing there!), that came to mind immediately when reading the original post. With the current rotational setup , that should never happen again. If it stays the same, I know the Bills will be back in Atlanta in 2017. We know Detroit will be back in Buffalo in 2018*. And so on.

Within the same conference, the divisional positioning means the likelihood of more matchups, which is why Jacksonville has practically become a divisional rival for the Bills.

*assuming the Toronto fiasco has expired, Ralph hasn't, and the Bills remain in Buffalo.

I actually first thought about this a few years ago: Cincinnati has not defeated Buffalo in a game that counts since the AFC Championship Game in January 1989, more than 21 years ago.

Sure, we have only played them, I believe 8 times during the regular season since then and we did lose to them in a preseason game, but I have never heard of any other set of teams where one has not beaten the other for 21 years. The one that really told a bit of the tail was a lousy Mularkey team going into Cincy and beating the eventual North Division champs in 05. The most recent; JP's great game against them (maybe his best as a Bill) at the Ralph.

Maybe it has been done before but I don't think there is any other current streak longer than this one.

No biggy, just something I've thought about whenever we play Cincy.

Looking for any examples of futility in the NFL, it is hard not to start with the Detroit Lions. Their loosing streak against the Washington Redskins is 10 days short of 31 years.

12-15-1968 (14-3 )

12-05-1999 (17-33)

It is difficult being a Bills fan, but the only solace I have, living here in Lions country is, we are at not them!

This past weekend was my Super bowl. Listening to the Sports talk radio, hearing people calling for Jim Schwartz’s head, bemoaning how terrible they are because they could not run the ball on Sunday

Looking for any examples of futility in the NFL, it is hard not to start with the Detroit Lions. Their loosing streak against the Washington Redskins is 10 days short of 31 years.

12-15-1968 (14-3 )

12-05-1999 (17-33)

It is difficult being a Bills fan, but the only solace I have, living here in Lions country is, we are at not them!

This past weekend was my Super bowl. Listening to the Sports talk radio, hearing people calling for Jim Schwartz’s head, bemoaning how terrible they are because they could not run the ball on Sunday

You're the man, GSedileck, nicely done. :thumbsup: