Cordero Howard

Pirate Angel

As most Bills fans we are looking towards the offseason, with the Oline a major problem I was thinking what everyones take on Cordaro Howard..

For an Undrafted rookie thats natural position is guard I thought he was impressive. Yes he made some mistakes and wasnt fantastic but he is a rookie and not a tackle. Kept his penalties low and didnt seem to get blown off the ball that often. Now its not just our tackles that have played poorly, we lack some push across the board, Hangartner is average at best, Wood is still playing with some discomfort from his leg injury, Levitre is still young, and Bell is just not a starter in this league. Anyway I was remembering last offseason Gailey had Wood take alot of snaps at Center (his college position) and was wondering if he had Cordaro in mind to eventually take over right guard and move wood to center. I know this wood still leave hole at both tackles but I think he will be a much better guard. I know we are weak at tackle but to start a undrafted rookie Guard there Chan must have wanted to get him on the field somehow. Thoughts?

As most Bills fans we are looking towards the offseason, with the Oline a major problem I was thinking what everyones take on Cordaro Howard..

For an Undrafted rookie thats natural position is guard I thought he was impressive. Yes he made some mistakes and wasnt fantastic but he is a rookie and not a tackle. Kept his penalties low and didnt seem to get blown off the ball that often. Now its not just our tackles that have played poorly, we lack some push across the board, Hangartner is average at best, Wood is still playing with some discomfort from his leg injury, Levitre is still young, and Bell is just not a starter in this league. Anyway I was remembering last offseason Gailey had Wood take alot of snaps at Center (his college position) and was wondering if he had Cordaro in mind to eventually take over right guard and move wood to center. I know this wood still leave hole at both tackles but I think he will be a much better guard. I know we are weak at tackle but to start a undrafted rookie Guard there Chan must have wanted to get him on the field somehow. Thoughts?

I think Bell has actually shown decent improvement the past few weeks. Maybe hes not an all pro, but hes getting better.

As far as Howard is concerned, hes done OK too, but I think he would be better at guard as well. We still need depth at Oline no question, but I also believe they are finally starting to gel as a unit. Outside of Hangman, the whole line is very very young. I think one more good Tackle taken in the 2011 draft and we might be set on the Oline. You are right, Chan was Howards college coach and knew he was decent enough to start. It shows hes smart and athletic to be able to play both G and T. Probably a depth player realistically in the future, but I wouldnt cringe if he needs to fill in when someone gets hurt in the next few years.

I think Howard would make a nice backup guard.....and am really hopeing that Wang can grow into the right guard spot allowing us move Wood to center......

The right tackle we need is not on the team yet....everyone they have put over there has been a speed bump....its just a matter of how big the speed bump is from Green to Howard to Wrotto....NONE of them are the answer at Right Tackle.

I like D. Bell where he is...I think he got worked in the last game but he has been pretty consistant at the hardest spot on the OL.

I think one of the big problems with blocking on this team actually has nothing to do with the OL.....we dont have a legit starting TE on this team that can block consistantly well and catch a outlet pass.....I consider this just as big a priority.

A lot of guys are missing their blocks in the run game.

Edited by John from Hemet

Howard - looks like a nice backup gaurd that can swing to RT in an emergency. That is about it.

Wood - excellent talent and upside. This is a transition year for him with the injury. Solid starter at gaurd and maybe even at center. Could be a pro bowl player some day.

Hangartner - TSW whipping boy but he has been the best lineman on the team this year in terms of consistent play.

Levitre - definitely will be a gaurd and solid for years to come. Getting better as well.

Bell - Looks to be getting better at LT. I think I like his pass blocking better than his run blocking. Still, I would like to upgrade this postion.

Wrotto - He will get a shot at RT. He has been somewhat of a journeyman so far. This is his chance to sieze a starting position and hold it.

Green - if Wrotto plays well Green will be cut next year.

Wang - a project at tackle or gaurd. Maybe he will surprise? Maybe he will be replaced by next years rookie OT?

Urbik - Could not get on the field in Pittsburgh. Still can't get on the field. That tells you something.

OT - We need to draft one. There is probably not even one legitimate RT on this roster. Bell looks like he can be "adequate" if that is what the Bills want to be. We also need to bring in a legitimate veteran presence at OT. Not a Green but a solid starter instead. If Wrotto plays well and takes the job in the last 8 games that would be nice.

Edited by Bob in STL

Howard - looks like a nice backup gaurd that can swing to RT in an emergency. That is about it.

Wood - excellent talent and upside. This is a transition year for him with the injury. Solid starter at gaurd and maybe even at center. Could be a pro bowl player some day.

Hangartner - TSW whipping boy but he has been the best lineman on the team this year in terms of consistent play.

Levitre - definitely will be a gaurd and solid for years to come. Getting better as well.

Bell - Looks to be getting better at LT. I think I like his pass blocking better than his run blocking. Still, I would like to upgrade this postion.

Wrotto - He will get a shot at RT. He has been somewhat of a journeyman so far. This is his chance to sieze a starting position and hold it.

Wang - a project at tackle or gaurd. Maybe he will surprise? Maybe he will be replaced by next years rookie OT?

Urbik - Could not get on the field in Pittsburgh. Still can't get on the field. That tells you something.

OT - We need to draft one. There is probably not even one legitimate RT on this roster. Bell looks like he can be "adequate" if that is what the Bills want to be. We also need to bring in a legitimate veteran presence at OT. Not a Green but a solid starter instead. If Wrotto plays well and takes the job in the last 8 games that would be nice.

I agree with your analysis 100%

...Bell is just not a starter in this league....Gailey had Wood take alot of snaps at Center (his college position) and was wondering if he had Cordaro in mind to eventually take over right guard and move wood to center...Thoughts?

You are 100% wrong about Bell, in my humble opinion. The kid is a 7th round draft pick and is only starting his second full season in the NFL. Not only do I think he is a starter in this league, I am convinced he will be a future Pro Bowl LT in this league.

:worthy: Outstanding take on Gailey using Wood at center this past offseason. I believe this will be Hangartner's last season as the Bills starting center, and Wood will entrench himself there this coming off season, and remain the cornerstone-center for the next decade.

Howard may be in Chan's thoughts as a starting guard next year. However, I think he and Wrotto were simply two ex Georgia Tech kids he recruited back in the day as head coach there that were available, so he signed them to fill in as back ups that knew his system. Nothing more, nothing less.

Buddy Nix must address the OL seriously in the UFA signing period starting March 1, 2011 or the 2011 draft in April, to fill in around Wood and Bell. Levitre looks like he will stick at one guard, but I would give him a big chance to become the answer at RT next offseason, no matter how "short" his arms are. He was a natural RT in college, and he will have two years of starting at guard in the NFL under his belt.

Consistently bad....

Wood with his Leg better will be good. Levitre is getting better. DBell isnt the best but with a good Rt we could get by. RT and C are needs.

Consistently bad....

Wood with his Leg better will be good. Levitre is getting better. DBell isnt the best but with a good Rt we could get by. RT and C are needs.

I know you don't like Hangartner.

Agree that RT is first priority. After that I would like to improve on LT and C. I guess you think Bell is more servicable than Hangartner? To me they are both midddle of the road.

I know you don't like Hangartner.

Agree that RT is first priority. After that I would like to improve on LT and C. I guess you think Bell is more servicable than Hangartner? To me they are both midddle of the road.

....and considering how bad Bell was last year, middle of the road is a big step forward. He has the athleticism to continue to improve as well. Hangartner, is what he is. Mediocre to date, particularly in the run game., however his pass protection seems to have improved this year a bit and the pocket has been collapsing a lot less, at least in the middle. W have gotten a lot of heat coming around Green and Howard at RT. Maybe Wrotto will be an improvement as it's tough to be much worse. The more I watched Howard in replays of games from the past couple weeks, the less I liked his performance.

Edited by Spiderweb