Merriman Injury

RalphOP83

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except that never happened. Watch the Merriman presser Merriman says he spoke with Nix prior.

Plus 2 other teams made a claim for him so the Bills weren't alone in thinking there was something left in the tank.

There is plenty to attack the Billy Goats' management for this is not one.

The rolled they dice and took a chance to add a possible impact player for pretty cheap.

What it is the downside. 1.9 mil in salary? That's only 4 Kelsay game checks, not a bad deal.

Well, Buddy Nix said he never talked to Merriman before deciding to pick him up. For the sake of accuracy, Merriman only claimed to have talked to Nix "when everything had gone down." That doesn't contradict what Buddy said, since "everything going down" may just have meant after he was awarded by the NFL to the Bills.

The thing is that it's yet another example of talking out of both sides of your mouth. They don't want player X because they are building for the future, but they have no problem picking up player Y because he can help them now. All neatly wrapped with the "Trust us, we have a plan" paper and bow.

Why not cut him?

If he was injured on their practice field then they have to come to an injury settlement, no?

Edited by Sisyphean Bills

The thing is that it's yet another example of talking out of both sides of your mouth. They don't want player X because they are building for the future, but they have no problem picking up player Y because he can help them now. All neatly wrapped with the "Trust us, we have a plan" paper and bow.

You know this doesn't make any sense, right?

We're discussing a specific player his name is Shawne Merriman, so who is player X and who is player y?

Nix made a no risk move to bolster a weakness at LB. You should consider changing your name to Sisyphean Attack; because you're really working OT to try and disparage the Bills "management."

You know this doesn't make any sense, right?

We're discussing a specific player his name is Shawne Merriman, so who is player X and who is player y?

Nix made a no risk move to bolster a weakness at LB. You should consider changing your name to Sisyphean Attack; because you're really working OT to try and disparage the Bills "management."

It makes perfect sense because it is what has happened.

NFL GMs do not typically come right out and say, "We don't want this guy." It's not smart. On the other hand, Buddy Nix did say that he was not interested in and not a fan of Donovan McNabb, the pick that made Tom Modrak a made-man interestingly enough. Now some would wish to read into that and take it to mean that Nix was taking a shot at McNabb after his true interest was rebuffed by McNabb. Of course Nix also plainly said he wanted to see what his young QBs could do and that he felt there was talent at the position already.

There have been other cuts and it is pretty obvious that the Bills are short at LB. They didn't put in claims on those players, clearly, because they weren't awarded to Buffalo.

You are correct that I am am critical of the front office and the Bills. The Bills are terrible and the worst team in the NFL at 0-8. This after 10 years of bad football. It takes bad management to be that bad for that long in the NFL. That's just the fact of the matter. The criticism is earned.

Edited by Sisyphean Bills

It makes perfect sense because it is what has happened.

NFL GMs do not typically come right out and say, "We don't want this guy." It's not smart. On the other hand, Buddy Nix did say that he was not interested in and not a fan of Donovan McNabb, the pick that made Tom Modrak a made-man interestingly enough. Now some would wish to read into that and take it to mean that Nix was taking a shot at McNabb after his true interest was rebuffed by McNabb. Of course Nix also plainly said he wanted to see what his young QBs could do and that he felt there was talent at the position already.

There have been other cuts and it is pretty obvious that the Bills are short at LB. They didn't put in claims on those players, clearly, because they weren't awarded to Buffalo.

You are correct that I am am critical of the front office and the Bills. The Bills are terrible and the worst team in the NFL at 0-8. This after 10 years of bad football. It takes bad management to be that bad for that long in the NFL. That's just the fact of the matter. The criticism is earned.

1. No it doesn't make any sense.

2. What does McNabb have to do with Merriman?

3. Be Specific, who specifically do you think the Bills should have put a claim for that was cut at LB?

4. Bills Management has sucked for 10 years, in other news the sun rises in the East.

Again the Bills' "management" has done a lot wrong, but picking up Merriman and rolling the dice on help at LB isn't really one of the things they have done wrong.

Who gives a **** how much we're due to pay him? It's under 2 Million and it's not like we're actively pursuing more high-profile free agents this season. The cap space will be freed up next season so it doesn't hurt us in the long run. It's not like it's our money and it's not like it's costing us more to go to games if we're picking up million dollar free agents that end up being a bust.

Still, I would rather have an injured Shawne Merriman on our sidelines than 75% of our active linebackers.

Whoever said it was right; some of you guys like to complain just to complain. How is this Buddy Nix's fault? He made a low-risk move and it might not work out. Who cares? In the past we didn't even look to take those low risks. Give it a rest.

I thought it was a bad pickup from the beginning. I'm not changing my tune. It still amazes why so many people neglect to ask why a good organization (SD) got rid of a formerly good player, and why the Bills should pick that player up afterward.

Brees?

I know its not the same but coming off injury, wanting a big contract....didn't see eye to eye with the front office....

1. No it doesn't make any sense.

2. What does McNabb have to do with Merriman?

3. Be Specific, who specifically do you think the Bills should have put a claim for that was cut at LB?

4. Bills Management has sucked for 10 years, in other news the sun rises in the East.

Again the Bills' "management" has done a lot wrong, but picking up Merriman and rolling the dice on help at LB isn't really one of the things they have done wrong.

I'm assuming he meant the Pittsburg LB

Well, Buddy Nix said he never talked to Merriman before deciding to pick him up. For the sake of accuracy, Merriman only claimed to have talked to Nix "when everything had gone down." That doesn't contradict what Buddy said, since "everything going down" may just have meant after he was awarded by the NFL to the Bills.

If he was injured on their practice field then they have to come to an injury settlement, no?

A 26 yr old LB with a reasonable contract coming off injury.... If he hopes to use this as an upclose look before offering a longterm contract it isn't short sighted. If they think he could be a cornerstone I'd rather they make that call after an 8 week tryout. It also gives a chance to win him over if they think he could enjoy buffalo. As he chose to go to school at Maryland it's not unbelievable that he could like the northeast. He didn't choose to go to San Diego... Although he certainly seemed to like the SoCal lifestyle.

Brees?

I know its not the same but coming off injury, wanting a big contract....didn't see eye to eye with the front office....

I'm assuming he meant the Pittsburg LB

A 26 yr old LB with a reasonable contract coming off injury.... If he hopes to use this as an upclose look before offering a longterm contract it isn't short sighted. If they think he could be a cornerstone I'd rather they make that call after an 8 week tryout. It also gives a chance to win him over if they think he could enjoy buffalo. As he chose to go to school at Maryland it's not unbelievable that he could like the northeast. He didn't choose to go to San Diego... Although he certainly seemed to like the SoCal lifestyle.

Brees is irrelevant. First off, he did NOT have a career threatening injury. Despite the after-the-fact media hoopla surrounding the injury once Brees showed he was good in NO, he had a labrum injury. That is hardly a rotater cuff tear. Secondly, the Saints went after him when he was a FREE AGENT, not a guy in the last year of his contract who is not gonna want to play for the Bills next year. Finally, Brees was actually a good starter in his final two years with SD. Merriman hasn't been good in 2.5 years. Plus he's had worse injuries than Brees ever did.

Brees is irrelevant. First off, he did NOT have a career threatening injury. Despite the after-the-fact media hoopla surrounding the injury once Brees showed he was good in NO, he had a labrum injury. That is hardly a rotater cuff tear. Secondly, the Saints went after him when he was a FREE AGENT, not a guy in the last year of his contract who is not gonna want to play for the Bills next year. Finally, Brees was actually a good starter in his final two years with SD. Merriman hasn't been good in 2.5 years. Plus he's had worse injuries than Brees ever did.

Once he showed he was good in NO? He was signed months before he could so much as throw a ball on Dr Andrews word that the surgery went well. This was a surgery that was much more invasive then expected because the injury turned out to be worse then expected once he got inside the shoulder. It was certainly career threatening.

8-8, 2-9, 11-4, 9-7 and then a major shoulder injury is hardly proven. It's one big year and a whole lotta question marks.

Also, merriman would be a FA in about 7 weeks so it's not thaaaat different. Honestly without the RFA this year, it wouldve been much the same.

Last, as to letting a player go that could still play.... You did more to prove my point then I could. You think brees was a safe bet for NO- ie San Diego let a proven franchise qb walk - the post I replied to said a good franchise like sd would never do such a thing. Merriman was gone at the end of the year, they saved the distraction by letting him go.

Edited by NoSaint

Once he showed he was good in NO? He was signed months before he could so much as throw a ball on Dr Andrews word that the surgery went well. This was a surgery that was much more invasive then expected because the injury turned out to be worse then expected once he got inside the shoulder. It was certainly career threatening.

8-8, 2-9, 11-4, 9-7 and then a major shoulder injury is hardly proven. It's one big year and a whole lotta question marks.

Also, merriman would be a FA in about 7 weeks so it's not thaaaat different. Honestly without the RFA this year, it wouldve been much the same.

Last, as to letting a player go that could still play.... You did more to prove my point then I could. You think brees was a safe bet for NO- ie San Diego let a proven franchise qb walk - the post I replied to said a good franchise like sd would never do such a thing. Merriman was gone at the end of the year, they saved the distraction by letting him go.

You're buying into the post hoopla view that a labrum injury is serious. Name me one QB who has fallen off the cliff performance-wise with a labrum injury. It doesn't happen.

As for QB W-L "records," it's about the worse stat imaginable to evaluate a QB, but if you're going to, he was 20-10 those two final seasons (I'm not including his early years, which featured the usual growing pains) -- a .667 winning percentage. And no, I'm not counting the game where he got hurt - he was out of that game before the first quarter ended and Rivers ended up performing shakily.

Edited by dave mcbride