Luck supporters get used to Mallett~

TH3

Age isnt the issue, its grasping NFL defenses.

Its my understanding that he plays in an NFL style offense and Mallett does not. (Senator, jump in if incorrect)

Scouts and GMs do consider that as a factor.

Bobby Petrino runs the Pistol offense in Arkansas, which should sound familiar to Bills' fans because that Is Chan's specialty.

The Bills run a lot of Pistol offensive sets.

The Pistol offense isn't considered an "NFL style" offense, but "NFL style" offenses are turning into wide open pass happy offenses like the Pistol.

Edited by Levitre + Wang = Wood

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bobby Petrino runs the Pistol offense in Arkansas, which should sound familiar to Bills' fans because that Is Chan's specialty.

The Bills run a lot of Pistol offensive sets.

The Pistol offense isn't considered an "NFL style" offense, but "NFL style" offenses are turning into wide open pass happy offenses like the Pistol.

The bills ran a handful of pistol this weekend. Their offense is not based from the pistol set. The NFL is a pass happy league but theres a reason scouts still look for pro style offenses.

In college, many WRs run their routes regardless of the defense, one reason why WRs dont have huge rookie years in the NFL typically. Thats bc in the NFL WRs need to adjust their routes based on shifting coverages.

Now the same goes for QBs who ahve the read the defense on the fly and know the WRs route. This is one reason why teams prefer college QBs who run these types of offenses with success.

Its hard to do to begin with, let alone learn it for the first time at the pro level.

Many spread sets, including the pistol are one read systems making it easy on everyone.

He is young, but Bradford was 22 until two days ago I believe I heard on the news. He's been "OK" so far. I wouldn't look too much into the age thing unless there were indications he was immature had an attitude problems or felt entitled.

I know your a huge Mallet fan, so why in your opinion is he a better fit for the Bills strong arm aside?

Your question can't be answered 'strong arm aside' - the strong arm is one of the major reasons, maybe the main reason, given the climate in Orchard Park, Foxboro*, NJ, etc.

But other reasons are Mallett's age and experience (and I recognize/acknowledge you don't see Luck's youth and inexperience as a disadvantage), his larger size (and he may still get bigger - not necessarily taller, but even more heft than now), and at least some cold-weather experience from his season at Michigan and the Fayetteville, AR winters. He plays a pro-style offense under Petrino, and one would argue that his 'numbers' are every bit as impressive as Luck's, even more so - only he achieved them against much stronger competition over longer time in a much tougher conference.

Age isnt the issue, its grasping NFL defenses.

Its my understanding that he plays in an NFL style offense and Mallett does not. (Senator, jump in if incorrect)

Scouts and GMs do consider that as a factor.

I'm not sure I even know what a 'pro-style' offense is any more, K-Gun!

NE* and the Colts have been running what looks like a spread-offense for several years (Urban Meyer & Belicheat* are close buddies) - GB and NO also use a spread-like package with great frequency (and success).

That said, I always thought Bobby Petrino's offense was considered a 'pro-style' offense.

(Interesting side-note - if the Bills DO end up with Ryan Mallett, they'll have two Petrino-coached QBs, Mallett and Brohm, along with a Petrino-coached center/guard in Eric Wood.)

Edited by The Senator

Your question can't be answered 'strong arm aside' - the strong arm is one of the major reasons, maybe the main reason, given the climate in Orchard Park, Foxboro*, NJ, etc.

But other reasons are Mallett's age and experience (and I recognize/acknowledge you don't see Luck's youth and inexperience as a disadvantage), his larger size (and he may still get bigger - not necessarily taller, but even more heft than now), and at least some cold-weather experience from his season at Michigan and the Fayetteville, AR winters. He plays a pro-style offense under Petrino, and one would argue that his 'numbers' are every bit as impressive as Luck's, even more so - only he achieved them against much stronger competition over longer time in a much tougher conference.

NE* and the Colts have been running what looks like a spread-offense for several years (Urban Meyer & Belicheat* are close buddies) - GB and NO also use a spread-like package with great frequency (and success).

That said, I always thought Bobby Petrino's offense was considered a 'pro-style' offense.

(Interesting side-note - if the Bills DO end up with Ryan Mallett, they'll have two Petrino-coached QBs, Mallett and Brohm, along with a Petrino-coached center/guard in Eric Wood.)

Right those teams have run more spread sets. They also have 3 pro bowl QBs running them. Most teams do not run offenses like those teams.

Its really about the types of reads the QB has to make, whether he was under center and less about what the actual formation is.

Right those teams have run more spread sets. They also have 3 pro bowl QBs running them. Most teams do not run offenses like those teams.

Its really about the types of reads the QB has to make, whether he was under center and less about what the actual formation is.

I think Gailey's more inclined to move in that direction (spread-like offense), which does seem to be the league-wide trend anyway, and obviously I think Mallet's going to be that Pro-Bowl QB for the Bills! B-)

Certainly Petrino, a former QB himself and former QB coach/OC for the Jaguars and HC in Atlanta, has to have been a good mentor to prepare Mallett for the NFL. (JMO.)

Edited by The Senator

Fair enough points. I'll buy into the strong arm argument if over the remaining home games it is apparent Fitz is hamstrung by his lack of arm strength. But if the offense can continue to move the ball with moderate success and his arm isn't an issue, I might be prone to discount this a bit.

Your right, pro-style can refer to a lot of things nowadays. I don't think he takes too many snaps from under center,does he?

Edited by stony

Fair enough points. I'll buy into the strong arm argument if over the remaining home games it is apparent Fitz is hamstrung by his lack of arm strength. But if the offense can continue to move the ball with moderate success and his arm isn't an issue, I might be prone to discount this a bit.

Your right, pro-style can refer to a lot of things nowadays. I don't think he takes too many snaps from under center,does he?

Neither did #12.

The bills ran a handful of pistol this weekend. Their offense is not based from the pistol set. The NFL is a pass happy league but theres a reason scouts still look for pro style offenses.

In college, many WRs run their routes regardless of the defense, one reason why WRs dont have huge rookie years in the NFL typically. Thats bc in the NFL WRs need to adjust their routes based on shifting coverages.

Now the same goes for QBs who ahve the read the defense on the fly and know the WRs route. This is one reason why teams prefer college QBs who run these types of offenses with success.

Its hard to do to begin with, let alone learn it for the first time at the pro level.

Many spread sets, including the pistol are one read systems making it easy on everyone.

By handful you mean about 60% of the passing plays?

All of those 3 wide, 1 step and gun it plays that Fitzy has been so good at are considered "Pistol" offense.

There is 1 read and Fitzy guns it, that's Chan's trick for turning Tyler Thigpen and Ryan Firzpatrick into stat monster QBs. He makes it easy for the QB.

By handful you mean about 60% of the passing plays?

All of those 3 wide, 1 step and gun it plays that Fitzy has been so good at are considered "Pistol" offense.

There is 1 read and Fitzy guns it, that's Chan's trick for turning Tyler Thigpen and Ryan Firzpatrick into stat monster QBs. He makes it easy for the QB.

The bills were in the pistol for 8 plays Sunday, which was the first time they've used it all season.