Is Buffalo's future in Michigan's hands?

According to last night's game, Luck has NOT made a decision about next year and will wait on the NFL's advisory board (he'll likely be ranked 1st overall). So those saying he's definitely staying are wrong.

He can finish his degree after he enters the NFL. And if he's any good there, he won't need his degree for awhile. And the money he'd be passing up would be huge. There probably won't be a new CBA before the 2011 season starts (if it does), so rookies would get paid like they did in the past. In 2012 is when you'd see a true rookie cap.

Edited by Doc

Buddy has already gone on record as saying that he really likes Luck.

We all like luck...I pray for it every Powerball drawing!!

According to last night's game, Luck has NOT made a decision about next year and will wait on the NFL's advisory board (he'll likely be ranked 1st overall). So those saying he's definitely staying are wrong.

He can finish his degree after he enters the NFL. And if he's any good there, he won't need his degree for awhile. And the money he'd be passing up would be huge. There probably won't be a new CBA before the 2011 season starts (if it does), so rookies would get paid like they did in the past. In 2012 is when you'd see a true rookie cap.

I totally agree with this...I wouldn't be surprised if he stays in school or comes out...the financial aspect of this decision seems to be that this may be the last year of huge rookie salaries, and I don't know many people who could pass up $40 million guaranteed when they have no idea what the following year will hold...whether it be injury, poor play, or a rookie salary cap. I just think that if Harbaugh left Stanford then Luck's decision would be to come out for sure.

Nice... you have no idea if Jim Harbaugh thought any of these things, but gave us such a clear insight into the intense self-hatred that appears to motivate you as a Bills fan. Well played, Mr. Internet-Tough-Guy-Who-Thinks-That-Hating-Intensely-On-The-Team-Of-Which-He-Is-A-Fan-Makes-Him-Look-Smart-And-Cool. Have another Bud Light, and get some therapy.

hear hear.......these guys need to have their own message board. Im trying to think of a title. Something like,

"The Bills Suck, and so do I." "My Loathesome Team and ME".......somebody help me here.

the financial aspect of this decision seems to be that this may be the last year of huge rookie salaries,

Is it? Teams will have quite a bit of leverage negotiating because if the pick holds out and re-enters the draft then they will likely be subjected to the rookie wage scale that would be in place, being out of football for a year and the corresponding drop in draft position. That all adds up to a rather large paycut compared to taking a 'reasonable' contract prior to the cap being implemented.

OK...hear out my rationalization.

University of Michigan loses a few more games this year and the school has decided that 3 years is enough of the Rich Rodriguez era.

Jim Harbaugh sees that as his dream head coaching job and decides to take it (I'm guessing the job would be his if he wants it seeing what he did with Stanford in the short time he was there).

Andrew Luck then decides that he does not want to spend his senior season learning a different coach's offensive playbook and enters the NFL draft.

A miraculous turnaround aside, the Bills will be in position to draft this future phenom and the next decade will be, as they say, history.

The only thing that worries me is Carolina outdoing us in losing football games and snagging him (they wouldn't right, not with Jimmy Claussen being taken in the 2nd just last year?) I know there's still a lot to be determined, but I've got my fingers crossed for good Luck. :thumbsup:

Interesting. I like it and it's highly plausible.

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO, Michigan can't afford to hope that the team improves under Rich Rod. The Wolverines are worse than they were when he took over (they have no shot at beating OSU), Harbaugh has said it's his dream job, and Denard Robinson is a sophomore who can be molded by Harbaugh. It's almost as much as a no-brainer as Luck declaring for the draft if Harbaugh leaves.

OK...hear out my rationalization.

University of Michigan loses a few more games this year and the school has decided that 3 years is enough of the Rich Rodriguez era.

Jim Harbaugh sees that as his dream head coaching job and decides to take it (I'm guessing the job would be his if he wants it seeing what he did with Stanford in the short time he was there).

Andrew Luck then decides that he does not want to spend his senior season learning a different coach's offensive playbook and enters the NFL draft.

A miraculous turnaround aside, the Bills will be in position to draft this future phenom and the next decade will be, as they say, history.

The only thing that worries me is Carolina outdoing us in losing football games and snagging him (they wouldn't right, not with Jimmy Claussen being taken in the 2nd just last year?) I know there's still a lot to be determined, but I've got my fingers crossed for good Luck. :thumbsup:

As a Bills Fan 1st and a Michigan Fan 2nd I'm all for this scenario!!! B-)

IMHO, Michigan can't afford to hope that the team improves under Rich Rod. The Wolverines are worse than they were when he took over (they have no shot at beating OSU), Harbaugh has said it's his dream job, and Denard Robinson is a sophomore who can be molded by Harbaugh. It's almost as much as a no-brainer as Luck declaring for the draft if Harbaugh leaves.

Michigan's Offense is definitely better this year with Robinson, but IMHO Rich Rod should be fired for fielding that Defense alone...He's the HC and he's ultimately responsible for what I feel, as a Michigan Fan, is the most embarrassing thing they have put on the field in their long and proud history...Watching that Defense as a Michigan Fan is akin to torture...It's embarrassing...And the Special Teams are not much better...Somebody HAS to pay for it...And if Michigan can land Harbaugh it's a no-brainer if you ask me... B-)

IMHO ...

I don't think we pick up Luck if he comes out eary. I don't think the brain trust at OBD values underclassmen too highly.

I'm not saying he isn't the best QB out there, I don't follow college ball enough to tell the difference between the front runners, but I seem to remember Buddy saying at the beginning he looks for continued sucess over an entire college career and didn't like drafting underclassmen.

No... he said he didnt want to draft 1 year wonders, not underclassmen.... luck does have time in at stanford, and also has been healthy,...

My nightmare scenario is that Dallas does not win another game this season. We win a couple games via Cleveland and Detroit. Dallas earns the number one pick and drafts Luck right out from under our noses, sending Romo to the waiver wire. And the rest as they say is history.

That's a legit concern. I don't think Carolina will draft a third QB in two years--especially with an early first-round pick--but Dallas well might. I've never understood why Romo was so beloved to begin with; he's an average QB. Give Dallas a shot at Luck, and he's gone.

Carolina will have a new coach next season with no personal investment in clausen. If they end up ahead of buffalo in draft order and they deem Luck a strong enough prospect, you best believe the new coach will snatch him up, clausen be damned.

Not only agree, but EXPECT that to play out. Clausen has done nothing to warrant a feeling of security. If he played/won like McCoy is in Cleveland, then maybe, but that team will take the premiere player available.