Has anyone ever attended the NFL draft?

zevo

Yes Im a loser and I really get into the draft....I have always wanted to attend the draft and what a more exciting year than this one to do it....how hard is it to obtain tickets? Im from Buffalo and have never been to the city that never sleeps... Any experiences?

In 1997 I attended the draft, so things might be entirely different now. The reason I did was because my parents scheduled their 50th anniversary party in Long Island draft Sunday and they had no cable. The only way I could see the draft Saturday was to go. Now I got there probably a lot earlier than needed. I had my father take me to the Long Island Railroad (LIRR) station at 4:30 AM & got to Penn Station around 5. I went to the place where they give you the wristband & got it. Then I had about 3-4 hours before they were distributing the tickets. So I went back to Penn Station & sat in the LIRR waiting area & read some newspapers & my draft data. Funniest part of the day took place there. There were a few homeless people sleeping there and around 6:00 the cops come & demand to see everyone's LIRR ticket, since technically, everyone there is supposed to be a LIRR customer. By the time they were done, I was the only one left in the area.

Next up was the ticket line in the designated area. We formed the line in wristband order & got our tickets. Later there was the line to get into the place the draft was held. Once you get in you can choose your seat on a 1st come basis. They had a draft booklet, contests, etc. They have food concessions, so it's just like attending a game I liked it, but I went alone & it would have been better if I had someone like Petrino with me. I took some pictures of the place & then got a photo of Antowain Smith right after he was drafted.

Overall, it's a pretty long day considering your team only drafts 2-3 players. I'd do it once, but I wouldn't make an annual event of it. I prefer to have ESPN on & listen to WGR on the computer rather than attend.

Edited by Albany,n.y.

Yes Im a loser and I really get into the draft....I have always wanted to attend the draft and what a more exciting year than this one to do it....how hard is it to obtain tickets? Im from Buffalo and have never been to the city that never sleeps... Any experiences?

I live in the NYC area and went with some friends when we drafted Mike Williams. In all honesty, I would rather watch the draft at home. The year I went it was at MSG (now they do it at Radio City) and quite honestly it was like watching paint dry. When you remove the ESPN commentators and highlights of the players, you are left with sitting in an auditorium watching a countdown clock. Then every 15-20 minutes you have activity when there is a pick, the announcement is made, there is a huge uproar (both positive and negative) and then you return to sitting in an uncomfortable chair waiting... When you have to go to the bathroom, you then try and wait to not miss anything, but when you go, it never fails, the next team does something a minute after the previous team. After about 2-3 hours, you start thinking - I could be at home on my couch with some beers and food.

I live in the NYC area and went with some friends when we drafted Mike Williams. In all honesty, I would rather watch the draft at home. The year I went it was at MSG (now they do it at Radio City) and quite honestly it was like watching paint dry. When you remove the ESPN commentators and highlights of the players, you are left with sitting in an auditorium watching a countdown clock. Then every 15-20 minutes you have activity when there is a pick, the announcement is made, there is a huge uproar (both positive and negative) and then you return to sitting in an uncomfortable chair waiting... When you have to go to the bathroom, you then try and wait to not miss anything, but when you go, it never fails, the next team does something a minute after the previous team. After about 2-3 hours, you start thinking - I could be at home on my couch with some beers and food.

The year I went they gave us radios so we could hear the ESPN guys and they had TV screens for us to watch all the other stuff like the reports, interviews etc.

It sounds like you were in an empty room. Didn't they have the same stuff I described at the 2002 draft, or did they cut back on that stuff?