Thoughtful discussion regarding our Draft class of...

saundena

By no means am I a godlike football know-it-all, but now that we've almost reached the half way point of the season, I was hoping to get a consensus feeling regarding the performance of our 1-3 round 2010 draft picks from some of the more football gifted minds on TSW. I've been pretty busy with work have to settle for watching most Bills games via internet stream. I also don't get a chance to read TBD like I should :)

What are your thoughts and opinions regarding Spiller, Troupe and Carrington. My thougts:

1. Spiller- Everyone says he has great talent I'm sure is the case, but why aren't we using him more? Yesterday was one game that I did happen to catch and I was happy to hear the announcers say that Spiller seems to be making progress, that he no longer looks to hit a home run every time and takes what the D gives him- Thats great, but c'mon. We need to see more out of this guy. Why else did we draft him at number #9? Wilson and Nix both said that we needed a home run player- so lets use him!

2. Troupe- Saw him involved on a number of positive plays yesterday, but generally speaking, he seems to be having a quiet season. On one hand that is understandable since DLine is a tough position to learn for young guys. On the other hand, you expect your 1st and 2nd round picks to have an immediate impact. Whats going on here?

3. Carrington- How many games has this guy actually dressed for? Why isn't he playing more?

I guess in general, I'm just worried about the lack of impact that our 1-3 rd picks are having? Makes me wonder what our scouting dept really does.

Please tell me that I'm being overly concerned for nothing... PLEASE.

GO BILLS!

I really think Edwards is the wrong man for the job. Probably would have been a good choice for Linebackers coach, but that is about it. These schemes he's putting on the field are awful. No one seems to know their assignments, we can't stop the run even when we scheme specifically for it, and we're dead last against the pass as well. Not a good performance, and they don't appear to be getting better.

Regarding our young guys, either they're holding off on using Spiller and Carrington to preserve them for next season or we're just wasting talent. The fact that Kelsay continues to run around and embarrass this franchise week in and week out and Carrington doesn't even suit up, is just plain moronic.

By no means am I a godlike football know-it-all, but now that we've almost reached the half way point of the season, I was hoping to get a consensus feeling regarding the performance of our 1-3 round 2010 draft picks from some of the more football gifted minds on TSW. I've been pretty busy with work have to settle for watching most Bills games via internet stream. I also don't get a chance to read TBD like I should :)

What are your thoughts and opinions regarding Spiller, Troupe and Carrington. My thougts:

1. Spiller- Everyone says he has great talent I'm sure is the case, but why aren't we using him more? Yesterday was one game that I did happen to catch and I was happy to hear the announcers say that Spiller seems to be making progress, that he no longer looks to hit a home run every time and takes what the D gives him- Thats great, but c'mon. We need to see more out of this guy. Why else did we draft him at number #9? Wilson and Nix both said that we needed a home run player- so lets use him!

2. Troupe- Saw him involved on a number of positive plays yesterday, but generally speaking, he seems to be having a quiet season. On one hand that is understandable since DLine is a tough position to learn for young guys. On the other hand, you expect your 1st and 2nd round picks to have an immediate impact. Whats going on here?

3. Carrington- How many games has this guy actually dressed for? Why isn't he playing more?

I guess in general, I'm just worried about the lack of impact that our 1-3 rd picks are having? Makes me wonder what our scouting dept really does.

GO BILLS!

The name is Troup.... Troup. Why does everyone put an "E" at the end?

I really think Edwards is the wrong man for the job. Probably would have been a good choice for Linebackers coach, but that is about it. These schemes he's putting on the field are awful. No one seems to know their assignments, we can't stop the run even when we scheme specifically for it, and we're dead last against the pass as well. Not a good performance, and they don't appear to be getting better.

Regarding our young guys, either they're holding off on using Spiller and Carrington to preserve them for next season or we're just wasting talent. The fact that Kelsay continues to run around and embarrass this franchise week in and week out and Carrington doesn't even suit up, is just plain moronic.

Dead last in the pass???? I know we are def in the top 10. 9th before giving up 150 yds to the cheifs.

Edited by AllDayADay

Dead last in the pass???? I know we are def in the top 10. 9th before giving up 150 yds to the cheifs.

We have ONE interception this year. That's unbelievably pathetic. And the only reason we're ranked higher in passing yards against is because teams run it down our throat for the majority of the game. And we're ranked in the bottom 2 teams with 15 passing TD's against this year. Only the Jaguars have a worse number. So to answer your question, YES we are one of the worst defenses in the league against the run AND against the pass.

Edited by Got_Wood

Your Edward analogy i think is right on , seeing as we have the same secondary coach and players along with Bob Sanders still in there . It just seems really strange that we can go from being 2nd in the league in pass D to as low as we are this year and have all the same parts .

I don't get it but i hope Gailey see's what we see & makes changes to his staff like he has to the roster !!!

We have ONE interception this year. That's unbelievably pathetic. And the only reason we're ranked higher in passing yards against is because teams run it down our throat for the majority of the game. And we're ranked in the bottom 2 teams with 15 passing TD's against this year. Only the Jaguars have a worse number. So to answer your question, YES we are one of the worst defenses in the league against the run AND against the pass.

HELLO DB #1 OVERALL!!!!!!!!!!!

We're so much better against the pass because there's no reason for teams to pass when they can run all over us. It overstates our ability to stop the pass. Maybe we can but we'll never know until someone in the front seven makes a tackle more than once a game. A successful running attack sets up the pass. The secondary always has to cheat to the running backs because much of the time they are the last line of defense between the runner and the end zone.

The interception problem is simple: rush the passer. Most interceptions are the result of a quarterback who feels hurried or under pressure or needs to alter his throwing motion. We play so far off of our offensive counterparts in passing situations because we're afraid of getting burned long. Well, that's one strategy. But if our secondary is as talented as they say they are, tighten them down. Let them prove they are shut down corners or shut up.

1st yr dlineman rarely make a significant impact, esp, highly drafted dlineman.

Unless your name is DonkeyKong Suh!

I also thought Spiller was used fine against KC. We just couldn't move the ball on the ground at all and then they were chewing up so much clock, it was painful to watch. Spiller ran away from coverage and was wide open for a long homerun TD but fitzy missed him by 5 yards.

Unless your name is DonkeyKong Suh!

I also thought Spiller was used fine against KC. We just couldn't move the ball on the ground at all and then they were chewing up so much clock, it was painful to watch. Spiller ran away from coverage and was wide open for a long homerun TD but fitzy missed him by 5 yards.

i said rarely didnt I? check the stats on top rd dlineman the last 5-10 yrs, the #'s dont lie. usually you wont see eyepopping production in yr 1/2.

Right now, as expected, Suh is the exception, not the norm

Edited by CarolinaBill

GO BILLS!

Sorry, you're not being overly concerned for nothing. The coaches are as arrogant as last year's coaches were. Spiller and Carrington don't seem to be "understanding their schemes and techniques" that these "great" coaches are "teaching" them, so they are not even getting on the field. Now, if this was the Saints, Pats or Colts, I could understand that. But these are the Buffalo Bills these "great teaching coaches" are in charge of, and if Spiller can break any run for the house, and Carrington is good against the run, how on earth can the Bills not afford to play them as much as possible, despite their rookie mistakes every now and then???

Jauron and Fewell did the same thing with Maybin last year, not allowing him to sniff the field because he was so lacking in the "proper stances and reads and schemes and which foot to lead with and etc etc etc." So of course he never played much. And now we have Maybin suffering the same fate under these god-like coaches.

Someone help me out here. Am I to believe that Chris Kelsay deserves that huge pay increase because he practices all the right moves from Monday thru Saturday, yet sucks every Sunday??? How can Aaron Maybin possibly make less plays if he was allowed to play one lousy entire game then Kelsay does?? Come on Edwards, just let the kid play one full game at DE or OLB, and let's see how he does. I can guarantee you he will have make more plays come games end then Kelsay makes, because Kelsay doesn't make any plays...at all.

Spiller should play more. Carrington should start and play every game. The Bills have so little talent, they should have no choice but to let them play. Troup seems to be doing OK when he's in there, considering he has the worst linebackers in the NFL backing him up.

And Maybin? I say start and play him every down the DE or OLB's play, and let the chips fall where they may. If he's too weak, and gets his skinny butt kicked the next 9 games, maybe that's what he will need to have happen so he bulks up for next year.

Sorry, you're not being overly concerned for nothing. The coaches are as arrogant as last year's coaches were. Spiller and Carrington don't seem to be "understanding their schemes and techniques" that these "great" coaches are "teaching" them, so they are not even getting on the field. Now, if this was the Saints, Pats or Colts, I could understand that. But these are the Buffalo Bills these "great teaching coaches" are in charge of, and if Spiller can break any run for the house, and Carrington is good against the run, how on earth can the Bills not afford to play them as much as possible, despite their rookie mistakes every now and then???

Jauron and Fewell did the same thing with Maybin last year, not allowing him to sniff the field because he was so lacking in the "proper stances and reads and schemes and which foot to lead with and etc etc etc." So of course he never played much. And now we have Maybin suffering the same fate under these god-like coaches.

Someone help me out here. Am I to believe that Chris Kelsay deserves that huge pay increase because he practices all the right moves from Monday thru Saturday, yet sucks every Sunday??? How can Aaron Maybin possibly make less plays if he was allowed to play one lousy entire game then Kelsay does?? Come on Edwards, just let the kid play one full game at DE or OLB, and let's see how he does. I can guarantee you he will have make more plays come games end then Kelsay makes, because Kelsay doesn't make any plays...at all.

Spiller should play more. Carrington should start and play every game. The Bills have so little talent, they should have no choice but to let them play. Troup seems to be doing OK when he's in there, considering he has the worst linebackers in the NFL backing him up.

And Maybin? I say start and play him every down the DE or OLB's play, and let the chips fall where they may. If he's too weak, and gets his skinny butt kicked the next 9 games, maybe that's what he will need to have happen so he bulks up for next year.

I agree about Maybin. I'm pretty sure he'd be awful as either a DE or an OLB and other teams would run right over him. But, it would be good to get him out there anyway so people could stop pretending he's a solution.