OK, I've Seen Enough of George Edwards' "schemes"

BillsPhan

We confused loyal Bills fans were truly watching from "the other side of the looking glass" when Chris Kelsay lined up about 12 yards off the line of scrimmage, deeper then Whitner in fact, in some kind of strange zone pass coverage with a running back across from him just licking his chops waiting for Cassell to toss him a quick pass. Then, during the same drive, Kelsay was back that far again, running around in zone pass coverage like he was Ronnie freakin' Lott or something.

Haven't we seen enough of this stupidity after 7 straight losses?

I'm not talking about "demanding" the Bills to be 4-3-0 or anything unrealistic like that. It's not like Buddy Nix forced Chan to hire Charlie Weiss as his OC and Romeo Cromell as his DC this past off season or anything as INGENIUS as that, as Scott Pioli did for these very KC Chiefs that are now off to a 5-2-0 start this season.

I'm just talking about demanding to see an NFL caliber D.C. calling playes and schemes that allow his players to "make plays", at least 40-50% of the damn time. This same defense was bad against the run but #2 against the pass last season. This season almost half way through, they are around #32 against the run and let's see...around #32 against the pass, too. George Edwards amazingly has made them worse then last season, and that does not make any sense to me anymore.

Chan has his offense coming around nicely. All I would like to see is the same type of improvement out of Edwards' defense. Even if Nix drafts 6 out of 7 picks on defense next April, who amoung us thinks George Edwards will be able to coach all those rookies, if there is a 2011 season in the NFL, anyway??

We both started posts at the same time, see mine also. Edwards is in above his head. Time for him to go. get someone with a track record of success in the NFL at that coaching position.

:worthy: I would settle for any new D.C. with the common sense to let Maybin play every single defensive down the rest of this lost season while Kelsay collects his 8 Million dollars from the bench.

The Chiefs said that on film the bills looked like them last year.

This year, the cheifs went out and got new experienced coordinators for both O and D.

Hopefully, the Bills can do the same this year. I'm thinking Mangini.

:worthy: I would settle for any new D.C. with the common sense to let Maybin play every single defensive down the rest of this lost season while Kelsay collects his 8 Million dollars from the bench.

I don't think they're mutually exclusive. The fact that Kelsay sucks doesn't mean Maybin deserves more playing time.

We both started posts at the same time, see mine also. Edwards is in above his head. Time for him to go. get someone with a track record of success in the NFL at that coaching position.

Edwards is getting heat from the Boards the old fashioned way. He's earned it!

I agree completely. Edwards was the worst hire the Bills made in the offseason. If you're going to have an offensive minded coach, you've got to have a Defensive Coordinator with experience that can run his own show. Not a former position coach trying to prove he can be a DC. This adds to another team need in the offseason. :doh:

I agree completely. Edwards was the worst hire the Bills made in the offseason. If you're going to have an offensive minded coach, you've got to have a Defensive Coordinator with experience that can run his own show. Not a former position coach trying to prove he can be a DC. This adds to another team need in the offseason. :doh:

Is it insecurity on the part of Gailey? I can't figure why he didn't try to hire someone with more experience. Who was available that was better? I can't think of anyone who fits the description but Gailey and Nix made a huge mistake. Is Gailey afraid he would be overshadowed by a dominant defensive mind? If we have any shot at winning we need a guy like Wade Phillips.

Is it insecurity on the part of Gailey? I can't figure why he didn't try to hire someone with more experience. Who was available that was better? I can't think of anyone who fits the description but Gailey and Nix made a huge mistake. Is Gailey afraid he would be overshadowed by a dominant defensive mind? If we have any shot at winning we need a guy like Wade Phillips.

I would say these guys could fit the bill for us next year:

- Jim Mora Jr.

- Mike Singletary (if available)

- Herm Edwards

- Gary Patterson (TCU Head Coach, has best defense in college football. Great coach.)

- Justin Wilcox (former Boise State DC, and now Tennessee's DC. Very bright.)

That's just a short list of ideas, but a good list to start looking at.

Edited by Got_Wood

I went on a George Edwards fueled rant last week as well...

how he has taken a top 5 across the board in every defensive passing statistic and turned them into one of the worst is amazing...perhaps the most glaring stat: Bills have allowed more receiving TDs this year than all of last year...also Bills had an opposing QB rating of 61 last year, second in the NFL only to the Jets, however this year their opposing QB rating is 110(worst in the NFL)...as in the 7 games we have played, the opposing QB is made to look like Joe Montana and Peyton Manning combined...

After being 2nd in the NFL last year with 28 Int's, the Bills are now last in the NFL with only 1(2nd worst team is the Raiders with 4)...on a tipped pass by Andra Davis...the DB's have ZERO Int's this year

Edwards was a mediocre position coach, how does that qualify him to be a DC? It doesn't. How many games are wthe Bills going to allow him to cost them before they can him?

Edited by matter2003

I went on a George Edwards fueled rant last week as well...

how he has taken a top 5 across the board in every defensive passing statistic and turned them into one of the worst is amazing...perhaps the most glaring stat: Bills have allowed more receiving TDs this year than all of last year...also Bills had an opposing QB rating of 61 last year, second in the NFL only to the Jets, however this year their opposing QB rating is 110(worst in the NFL)...as in the 7 games we have played, the opposing QB is made to look like Joe Montana and Peyton Manning combined...

After being 2nd in the NFL last year with 28 Int's, the Bills are now last in the NFL with only 1(2nd worst team is the Raiders with 4)...on a tipped pass by Andra Davis...the DB's have ZERO Int's this year

Edwards was a mediocre position coach, how does that qualify him to be a DC? It doesn't. How many games are wthe Bills going to allow him to cost them before they can him?

It's almost like they're doing it on purpose... :blink: