Which College QBs Are You Tracking?

yungmack

Just watched it. I counted five pass plays, including four completions, and a play that should have been a completion. There were a lot more running plays than passing plays! Kaepernick looked competent on those passing plays. Four out of the five passes looked fairly standard-issue, with the only "special" pass coming on the play where the defender knocked the ball away after it had been caught. (Thereby causing the incompletion.) It looked to me like their offense was run-oriented; and I didn't see much indication of Kapernick making multiple reads. Possibly the Bills could take him later in the draft, but would he really be an upgrade over Brohm or Levi Brown?

That is not the best highlight reel of Kaepernick, IMO. But he is worth watching. He can pass the ball. Keep your eye on this guy.

I'll tell you the guy that really impresses me every time I see him play: Tate Forcier. But he's not even a starter in college anymore. Of course, neither was Tom Brady (same school too).

I compliment you on your keen scouting eyes. Forcier was a big time recruit from California. He played very well as a freshman. When Rodriquez (sic) was hired he preferred a spread offense with a more athletic running qb. That resulted in Forcier being a backup. The same scenario played out when Rodriquez was first hired. Mallett, a pocket passer, transferred because the new HC wanted to run a spread system.

The problem with a player such as Forcier is that he won't get enough snaps to develop as a qb. I still agree with you that he has a lot of talent. He would be a good pickup at a lower round. I'm not even sure if he is coming out this year?

I've got the "Ponder watch" thread going on in the college football forum, where i've been breaking down his play in each game for the year, and how his play/stats relate to FSUs gameplan for the given game.

I've been watching your watch, Ramius!

I've liked his "presence" in the huddle and his manner off the field. Those don't show up in stats, but they matter.

Keep an eye on Russell Wilson and Tyrod Taylor as well. Wilson is a little undersized, but he's like a Doug Flutie clone. And Taylor has been up and down this year, but his physical abilities will get him on a NFL roster.

Wilson is extremely fun to watch. Maybe Wilson will want Wilson. :rolleyes:

Weeden (Oklahoma State) is playing vs. Kansas State right now. He's above average. Kendall Hunter, the running back, is ranked #216 at DraftTek. He's a human cannonball (5'9", 225) who'd be a nice 6th-round or 7th-round complement to Jackson-Spiller. His yards per carry is 2nd only to Barry Sanders'.

A guy that hasn't been mentioned that I like is Robert Griffin III of Baylor. He's a red-shirt soph; I believe that makes him eligible to come out, but I could be mistaken. I thought Luck was also a red-shirt sophomore, but he's listed as a junior on ESPN.com even though he's only played 2 years.

Anyway, Griffin is bigger and throws better than most of the other guys that are asked to run a lot; 18-4 TD-to-INTs this year. Good background, known as a good leader, and the other coaches in his conference cannot praise him enough. Tuberville called him the best QB in the country and Mack Brown thinks he's an obvious Heisman candidate. And he's winning at a school that hasn't done much of that lately.

I've been watching your watch, Ramius!

I've liked his "presence" in the huddle and his manner off the field. Those don't show up in stats, but they matter.

Wilson is extremely fun to watch. Maybe Wilson will want Wilson. :rolleyes:

Yeah, with ponder, he's got all the physical tools, but i am most impressed with the intangibles. I'm not going to play the bogus "will to win" card, but he's got a great command of the huddle, has a very good knack to when to check into and out of certain plays. He's smart, and rarely makes the bonehead mistakes (except against NC St :wallbash:)

I think he'll make a very good QB in this league, and i feel that he's one of the few guys that can step in and run an NFL offense from the get go due to his work ethic and intelligence. I do wish he'd slide more when he scrambles. He's always trying to get that extra yard, which i love, but sometimes you need to know when to protect yourself as a QB.

I think we all know the big names out there so I'm more interested in who other than the Lucks, Lockers, etc you guys think should be in the discussion. I'd also like to know your opinions on guys likely to not come out until after the 2011 season.

All of them are playing against MICKEY MOUSE defenses so it really doesnt matter .

i'm pretty high on mallet now, but i wouldn't write off Kellen Moore ust yet he might be one of those guys that picks up momentum as the season winds down and goes into the combine. Kellen moore has done EVERYTHING in front of him and done it all well.

a total dark horse would be in Newton declares and if Chan thinks he can work with him and develop an offense to suit his strengths.

I'm just guessing here, but I think he probably wasn't mentioned because he is only a true sophomore. So he's not eligible to come out until 2012.

I watched him last night. He got plucked like a chicken, deservedly so, and it was on intentional throws (not getting hit while throwing).

He might develop but right now.....Nuh, uh.

I'm really trying to not be flip here, but I will answer the question honestly: none. Meaning, I'm tracking them, if that's what you're asking, but from what I have seen so far I don't see any top five picks. The top one I've seen is Mallett, but then again he's not mobile enough for my taste. I know a lot of people are impressed with Luck, but to me he is on par with Ponder at the next level. First rounder and probable NFL starter, but not someone any better than Claussen or the bunch of QBs that came out last year. Locker is sort of like Snead. Lots of pub but not worth picking. There are a host of athletic QBs that are worth a look in the later rounds like Jerrod Johnson and Tyrod Taylor but we are talking about round 5 +

I'll tell you the guy that really impresses me every time I see him play: Tate Forcier. But he's not even a starter in college anymore. Of course, neither was Tom Brady (same school too).

your comments on Luck are down right laughable and show you have no idea what you are talking about . do you ever watch the kid play? if you lie to us and say yes then its absolutly assinine to make the comparisons you make on the kid.

the guy is the total package and oh yea for you immobile guys in the first half he ha 67 yards rushing(escaping) on for 51 yards and a score.

Luck is the best QB to come out of collage in almost a decade he is the total package has the "IT" factor in spades and if the bills ever got him it would be the best thing to happen to us lowly bills fans since kelly left. the guy is an absolutly great QB.

you comments on Luck just make you irrelevant.