New Orleans- Cleveland

I was stunned at the Oakland-denver score. 59-14. Never would have guessed that.

This was more surprising to me. The Saints played their first good game last week and suddenly they're laying 13 points. Pretty ridiculous since the Browns come to play every week and are a couple pick 6's in the first 2 weeks of the season from being 4-3.

This was more surprising to me. The Saints played their first good game last week and suddenly they're laying 13 points. Pretty ridiculous since the Browns come to play every week and are a couple pick 6'sJake Delhomme on the bench in the first 2 weeks of the season from being 4-3.

fixed.

This was more surprising to me. The Saints played their first good game last week and suddenly they're laying 13 points. Pretty ridiculous since the Browns come to play every week and are a couple pick 6's in the first 2 weeks of the season from being 4-3.

Agreed. Saints are now 1-5 ATS this year; lines are clearly been driven by Super Bowl memories.

As Dick Jauron might say, it's very tough to repeat in the NFL.

Anyone else stunned by the New Orleans-Cleveland score?

Then I did a double-take when I saw the game was in New Orleans. WOW Whats up with the Saints?

Looks like a good year for ex Patriot coaches- Mangenius and the guys in K.C.

Colt McCoy?

McCoy was 9/16 for 74 yards...Brees just lost that game, all there is to it.

McCoy was 9/16 for 74 yards...Brees just lost that game, all there is to it.

i dont know if you saw the game or not but thats waaaaaaaay oversimplified.

yes, brees had 4 picks -- one on a toss up at the end of the half (under 30 secs left, was as good as a punt at that point), and one in garbage time while trying to mount a 20 point comeback in 2 mins. quite frankly there were a few more bad throws that didnt show up in the stat line... it was a poor game for him, but you also can not just throw out the 66% completion rate, 350+ yards, and 2 (would have been 3 but one was called back by an away from the ball penalty) touchdown passes.... that td pass that was called back was followed up by an INT where the 4th string RB, one that didnt make the team but had to be called up due to injury, ran the wrong route.

special teams was a big part of this loss, but as someone that follows the team -- it was a fundamental team philosophy that was exploited. This defense (and by proxy the special teams too) are taught to swarm to the ball. Many thought that it was luck getting all the turnovers last year, but it was predicated on having guys out hustle the opponent and out fight them for the ball - guys that get to the spot to make a play before the opponent can. yesterday they did that, and were unfortunately totally undisciplined.

The first big play was the music city miracle-esque punt return, where the saints (as usual) converged on cribbs early instead of holding there outside contain. suddenly the browns are inside the 10 without running a play.

The fake punt was similar. the blockers sold out getting downfield to set up, and the punter ran for 70 yards, again inside the 10.

On the last cleveland scoring drive, the same thing. Saints rush to hillis, he tosses it to mccoy for essentially the game icing first down.

add on 100 yards in penalties, including a 1st and 35 hole to try and dig out of late in the game...

If you think this was just brees loss.... you only looked at the stat line and didnt watch the game.

The saints all year have played ok ball. I would say the best way to sum this team up is that they are winning 90% of their plays (ie getting a good chunk of yards, or defensively stopping the opponent) in an efficient, unspectacular, workmanlike manner but the 10% they are losing are ending with the other team in the endzone, or turning the ball over in the redzone -- two things almost no team can overcome.

Edited by NoSaint