One of the Bills supposed strengths: Safety

Got_Wood

I thought the point of this place was to discuss your opinions on the Buffalo Bills. Aren't we supposed to be debating the team? My opinion is that people were overrating Jairus Byrd, and I believe his play this year has in some way proven my opinion to be correct. If people can't handle that without resorting to insults, they get the ol' f you.

Promo wasn't insulting you, though, he was disagreeing with your assertions and questioning why your opinions are more valuable than those belonging to others. If you want to debate that's fine, but there's a lot of negativity being focused toward some of the posters you're going back and forth with... it doesn't come across as a debate at all, just you telling everyone else why they're wrong.

I don't really see how Promo earned the "ol' f you."

To me the problem is we are not getting pressure.....you cannot ask a secondary to hold down receivers when the QB has all day to throw the ball.

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

You don't think Heap or Keller or any other TE or WR doesn't know how to sit in the soft spot of a zone and be open? Doesn't matter what players you have for DBs, the QB has all day to throw. We have no pass rush, we don't hurry many passes, flush the qb or sack him. Plays will be made against the secondary.

It's also somewhat difficult for the DBs to be "into the game or season" when we give up 200+ yards on the ground every game and there aren't a ton of passes thrown...Yesterday we were gearing up to stop the run, which is something that every team has done to us this year. Not many people expected the Ravens to throw as much as they did...not making excuses for the team. We went back to the 4-3 scheme to try to stop the run...Yes Byrd went for an INT on Heap TD instead of laying a lick on him. The players are pressing and trying to make a big play to get a win instead of playing smart. That doesn't make Byrd a terrible player or one-year wonder...

It's easy to say this season to say the DBs suck, but our defense is much worse than it was last year or even the year before. We know our secondary is decent as we have a few seasons of the SAME players playing (Byrd, Scott, Wilson, Whitner and CBs). Are they all great and probowlers, no, but we know they can get picks and defend passes fairly well. It's hard to rate the safeties when they are a big factor in stopping the run in a very pourous run defense...

He was fortunate to get a lot of lucky breaks last year, and it looks like his luck ran out. I hoped it wasn't a fluke, but sadly it appears to have been.

Excellent detective work! Much more likely that his million picks last year as a rookie over the majority of the season are the fluke, and much less likely that a handful of games coming off a serious injury and surgery with a historically hapless Bills defense and an injured secondary could be the fluke. I say we cut him now!

As far as Donte is concerned though I will turn off the sarcasm and wonder if he is really outperforming what George Wilson could do. I've seen him make a fly by appearance in a lot of opposing offense highlights, and don't know which times he is to blame, and which times he is providing late safety support to the DB who made the mistake, but my gut feeling is that he is getting beaten way too often.

We all know he won't be better than Ngata, and that is a moot point, but he does have to be better than George Wilson if he wants to continue playing.

AKM is convinced watching TV gives you the whole story. I disagree. Now if you want to sit in the stadium or go over film, that's another story. But watching on TV all you get is the end result, not the "how or why" something happened.

PTR

Promo wasn't insulting you, though, he was disagreeing with your assertions and questioning why your opinions are more valuable than those belonging to others.

I don't really see how Promo earned the "ol' f you."

It was the ol' "Your ability to comprehend words must be limited." Tends to get people riled up when you call em dumb :)

AKM is convinced watching TV gives you the whole story. I disagree. Now if you want to sit in the stadium or go over film, that's another story. But watching on TV all you get is the end result, not the "how or why" something happened.

PTR

Well, I do only have season tickets, so that only gets me in to see half of their games. But the rest I do watch on television. Also, I never said it gives you "the whole story". You made that up. You can, however, observe which players are performing poorly by a combination of watching games live, and watching games on television. Doesn't take Vince Lombardi to watch our safeties get obliterated by a flea flicker to say they did it very, very wrong.

Edited by akm0404

Actually yes you do...if you want to know what you are talking about.

PTR

Okay, which TD was that? I don't have them all memorized. And also are you basing everything on the snapshot of the catch? What about what led to it? Was there a run fake? What formation was the D in?

PTR

It was the TD where they discussed whether Heap pushed off Scott or not. He basically ran about 20 yards downfield towards the post, stops, Scott just horrifically can't stop with him and stumbles around, and Heap just sits there alone, in the End zone, in between Scott and Whitner as they watch the ball come in and watch him just catch it. No fake, and I don't think the QB ever looked him off. Pathetic.

Does the fact that Tampa Bay has the fewest sacks in the league but is tied for #4 with 10 interceptions sway your opinion at all? The Bills also had a pretty terrible pass rush last year when they recorded their high number of interceptions.

Edit: I do think some pressure would help, but I also don't think that defensive pressure puts safeties in the position to make plays.

Tampa Bay's D isn't a whole lot better than ours as far as sacks and rushing and yardage given up. When you look at the raw team stats, there isn't a lot of differences.

I haven't watched any Tampa games this season, but against their defense how many times have opposing teams passed deep in comparison to ours? Were most pass attempts against us dinks and dunks or crossing-routes over the middle where the LBs are in pass coverage? Do their CBs or Safeties have more picks? The teams they have played against are the run oriented offenses or passing offenses? I'm not trying to break your balls and your topic is one worthy of discussion, but to compare our secondary against Tampas is tough without knowing these other things...I am NOT saying Whitner is a great safety or Byrd is either, just lets look at all the facts and have a discussion about it.

Edited by Reed83Evans