Dolphins got SCREWED

stevestojan

you know when it takes the official 30 seconds to explain the review, something is wrong...the official says there is no way to tell who recovered the ball. Funny, a dolphin got up and handed him the football. The strangest part is, no TD, no touchback, just a "well we can't figure it out, so give it to him at the 1/2 yard line..."?????

youtube.com/watch?v=fT2twDBUT9c

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/25/sports/football/25dolphins.html

SO if we take into account the original "called by the official (s)" sequence of events - 1.) Rothlisberger given a TD as he crossed goal line 2.) Rothlisberger fumbles after crossing goal line which equates to a TD 3.) the fumble after crossing goal line is irrelevant because rule states that fumbles after crossing goal line is not a fumble and TD stays 4.) no need to exam closely who recovered the "fumble of the ball after a TD was scored". The key point here is Rothlisberger was ruled to have crossed the goal line prior to fumbling. If he was originally ruled to have fumbled before crossing goal line, then determining who recovered the fumble in the pile of players would have been then relevant.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many times back in the 70s thru the 90s did don Shula fins always get the call.when the fins got a bad call don with his shades on and his arms crossed would stare down the ref.I always thought that having Shula as head of the ref commission was just wrong.

As much as the refs get stuff wrong replay does close that margin big time. How many times have you watched a game and replay has overturned a horrendous call and it has meaningfully impacted the game? It happens a lot its a good tool for the officials to use its just the officials don't use it correctly most of the time. As much as I hate the Fins I don't like to see a team get so blatantly screwed. For one team to get screwed out of a game they rightfully should have won and for another to get a win when they should have lost is just wrong.

The Steelers and Pats* get their way with the officials its the NFL.

Sunday night was a perfect example - Percy Harvin's catch in the back of the end zone would have won the game for the Vikings, if his second foot wasn't clearly out of bounds. The right call was made and the right team won the game. Replay worked there and it's worked in hundreds of other spots.

The refs really pulled out the rulebook for Pittsburgh, though. It's not like there was a huge pile digging for the ball, either - about 3 Dolphins and maybe 2 Steelers (including Roethlisberger).

The officials have no defense for themselves when make calls like this - they either make themselves look corrupt or incompetent.

Sunday night was a perfect example - Percy Harvin's catch in the back of the end zone would have won the game for the Vikings, if his second foot wasn't clearly out of bounds. The right call was made and the right team won the game. Replay worked there and it's worked in hundreds of other spots.

I believe that replay is largely responsible for the decline in officiating. These guys are too afraid to make a tough call (even one as blatantly obvious as the Harvin catch), so they invariably default to the 'safe' call and figure any glaring errors will be fixed by replay. I would MUCH rather live with the occasional blown call (like in baseball) than have a sport that is interrupted every five minutes for a replay review.

How do we fix it? Fire bad refs. I refuse to believe that we can't find a few dozen guys competent enough to officiate a football game.

I believe that replay is largely responsible for the decline in officiating. These guys are too afraid to make a tough call (even one as blatantly obvious as the Harvin catch), so they invariably default to the 'safe' call and figure any glaring errors will be fixed by replay. I would MUCH rather live with the occasional blown call (like in baseball) than have a sport that is interrupted every five minutes for a replay review.

Bingo. Once replay was re-initiated full time, I've seen more & more refs afraid to make a call. At minimum, on close plays, they're hesitant to make a call, so they make some call and assume replay will fix it. It's not always the case, though - coaches are sometimes out of challenges or don't throw the flag soon enough. Then we all live with the bad call.

However, I disagree with your last statement. We have the technology to get the calls right, so we should use it. It's like karate - never use it unless absolutely necessary. Maybe we should then tell the refs that there is no replay?

How do we fix it? Fire bad refs. I refuse to believe that we can't find a few dozen guys competent enough to officiate a football game.

Also agree. We all know refs make mistakes and they should be subject to evaluation like every other human being that works for a living. We shouldn't have the attitude that if a ref makes a bad call, it'll be fixed anyway.

However, I disagree with your last statement. We have the technology to get the calls right, so we should use it. It's like karate - never use it unless absolutely necessary. Maybe we should then tell the refs that there is no replay?

How about a fine for the entire crew (double for the individual ref who made the call) for each reversed call?

3 reversals in a season and you are suspended for two games. 3 more and you're fired.

you know when it takes the official 30 seconds to explain the review, something is wrong...the official says there is no way to tell who recovered the ball. Funny, a dolphin got up and handed him the football. The strangest part is, no TD, no touchback, just a "well we can't figure it out, so give it to him at the 1/2 yard line..."?????

youtube.com/watch?v=fT2twDBUT9c

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/25/sports/football/25dolphins.html

The head referee was also from Pittsburgh.

The head referee was also from Pittsburgh.

He was doing pee-wee games on a 60 yard field when he got the call to the Pros, I witnessed this, his father was a long

time NFL Offical, and his brother as well, nepotism is alive and well. He had no legitimate experience at any level even

close to the NFL.

I can only guess you have watched football for a very short period of time. Do you think all the games in the 70s, 80s, 90s where called perfectly and there was never a controversy? Back then we got one or two replays from the network during the game and that was it. No one at home watching a replay on DVD over and over, analyzing every play to nearest inch, no 24 hour ESPN fanning the flames, no Internet analysts looking for something to write about.

Yes there were LOTS of blown calls. They just weren't analyzed to death.

The games are fixed? Have ever thought how many people would have to be involved in that?? Do you really think the NFL would risk destroying its reputation so Pittsburgh would win a regular season game over Miami?

Hello little sheep, what color is your wool, wake up dude, you don't need a lot of people to subtly manipulate games,

there is scheduling, marketing, rules (obscure and inconsistently enforced), and the the refs. It only took one NBA

official to throw games. I got pristine swampland for you in Florida.

Edited by Cookiemonster

The long standing fans remember back when the Dophins were clobbering the Bills for an entire decade. During those games there were many, many times when controversial calls were made against the Bills. Of course, Don Shula, the Miami Coach, was head of the NFL Competition Committee at the time. I have no sympathy for the Dolphins.

SO if we take into account the original "called by the official (s)" sequence of events - 1.) Rothlisberger given a TD as he crossed goal line 2.) Rothlisberger fumbles after crossing goal line which equates to a TD 3.) the fumble after crossing goal line is irrelevant because rule states that fumbles after crossing goal line is not a fumble and TD stays 4.) no need to exam closely who recovered the "fumble of the ball after a TD was scored". The key point here is Rothlisberger was ruled to have crossed the goal line prior to fumbling. If he was originally ruled to have fumbled before crossing goal line, then determining who recovered the fumble in the pile of players would have been then relevant.

Actually, it wasn't "officials". The linesman signaled touchdown when Ben's helmet broke the plane of the goal line, but the backjudge (?) was actually in perfect position and saw the fumble all the way and did not call a touchdown. But, once the linesman came racing in prematurely and blowing his whistle, assuming that a touchdown that he had absolutely positively no way of seeing, must have happened and that he needed to blow the play dead quickly (afterall the runner was a QB and they have to be protected), the play became secondary to the controversy of how to resolve his blatant error.

I have no sympathy for the Dolphins players or fans. Now they have a small taste of what being a Bills fan is like. Playing a team that the league favors, and getting screwed. Welcome to our world where it happens every week. Shawn Nelson and his "fumble" say Hi.

The blowfish got screwed? Who cares. The whole nation has been getting a major screwing the last 21 months and you're worried about the fishheads?

Get a friggen life.

Last 21 months? Did you forget about the 96 months prior to that during which our budget surplus was squandered and more of our nation's wealth was transferred into the hands of our wealthiest 5%?

Rising inequality isn't new. The gap between rich and poor started growing before Ronald Reagan took office, and it continued to widen through the Clinton years. But what is happening under Bush is something entirely unprecedented: For the first time in our history, so much growth is being siphoned off to a small, wealthy minority that most Americans are failing to gain ground even during a time of economic growth -- and they know it.

-- Paul Krugman (2008 Nobel Prize, Economics) 12/22/06

Don't be fooled into thinking that the millionaires and billionaires (including corporations which, thanks to our current Supreme Court, are legally treated as people more than ever before) who are financing the "conservative" propaganda campaign have your best interests at heart.

The Democratic Party helped the Republican Party to create the mess we're in--all of their candidates take campaign money from wealthy donors just like the Republican candidates do--and that's probably why this crisis has been addressed with only half-measures; our "representatives" don't want to bite the hands that feed them. Even the millionaires and billionaires will suffer if our economy completely tanks so Washington has put it on a kind of life-support that perpetuates, if not accelerates, the long-standing wealth transfer instead of actually fixing the underlying problems.

Where I live, a lot of people have lost their homes to foreclosure and when I try to buy one with a mortgage loan it gets sold to someone who can afford to make an all-cash offer instead. This has happened to me twice already and it will probably happen again. If HUD had repossessed those properties, families wishing to live in them would've been given the first crack but our government has placed no such restriction on the banks that our tax money has bailed out. The housing meltdown could have been a situation where homes were transferred from families who couldn't afford them to families who could but instead it has turned into a transfer of real estate wealth from the middle class to the rich. Middle-class families who rent have no home equity with which to finance training or education for their children so their children will either be strapped with school loans before their careers have even started or they'll have low-paying, unskilled jobs.

The Tea Party has it all wrong; the next revolution in this country isn't going to look like the American Revolution, it's going to look like the French Revolution.

Last 21 months? Did you forget about the 96 months prior to that during which our budget surplus was squandered and more of our nation's wealth was transferred into the hands of our wealthiest 5%?

Wealth isn't "transfered", it is "earned".

21 months and eight years, maybe.

The announcers seem to be saying that they made the right call according to the rules. If that's true, the rules need to be changed.

The problem with the rules is that "incontrovertible evidence" is required to overturn a call made on the field. I personally felt that it was pretty incontrovertible that Miami recovered the fumble, because there were no Steelers at the bottom of the pile. But that said, I tend to feel they should get rid of the "incontrovertible evidence" requirement, and replace it with "whatever the call would have been."

He was doing pee-wee games on a 60 yard field when he got the call to the Pros, I witnessed this, his father was a long

time NFL Offical, and his brother as well, nepotism is alive and well. He had no legitimate experience at any level even

close to the NFL.

[/b]

Hello little sheep, what color is your wool, wake up dude, you don't need a lot of people to subtly manipulate games,

there is scheduling, marketing, rules (obscure and inconsistently enforced), and the the refs. It only took one NBA

official to throw games. I got pristine swampland for you in Florida.

I knew this would come up. I have no doubt you do own some swampland because you do zero research. He did not "throw" games [only a player can do that] or effect outcomes in any way. He provided inside information to a long time gambling buddy. And got caught and went to Federal prison.

So one NBA official[himself in heavy gambling debt] gives a bookie some tips,in private, and you present that as proof that NFL refs, in plain sight of millions of viewers, are rigging dozens of games week after week.

You might what to use double ply on the foil hat.