GOP Spent $200 Billion on ads

I have less of a problem with raising taxes if it's to pay down the debt. In fact, that's a certainty. BUUUUUUT, and it's a big "but," the government should make a pledge that for every dollar taxes are going up, they will cut 2 in spending. That would be a pill I could swallow because it would set up a system where I'd feel assured that the problem (big government spending) was being addressed for the future.

Why is that so hard to do?

I tell you why it is so hard to do, because of the polarized environment. If you mention a tax increase the "conservatives" go apeshit and say "NO, only cut spending". Of course, the libs are the same except they don't want to cut spending in a meaningful way but would rather increase taxes.

A great example is this board, I mention that we should allow ALL the Bush tax cuts to expire and people get all up in a tizzy. As Greenspan said, the decisions we have with the Bush tax cuts are Bad or worse. It's an economic reality that needs to occur, maybe we could allow the tax cuts to continue for another year or two but after that they need to expire. People just don't understand how bad our debt is, sure they know all the talking points, but when it comes time for action, no one wants to do anything of significant value to address this problem.

This deficit commission that was created by the president is a joke! Nothing will come about it, the left have made sure that they put in people all the way to the left, for !@#$s sake, Andy Stern is on the commission and they have already come out with a pledge saying that S.S is off limits and the right has put in people that are hell bent on raising any taxes. Nothing is going to come about of this.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tell you why it is so hard to do, because of the polarized environment. If you mention a tax increase the "conservatives" go apeshit and say "NO, only cut spending". Of course, the libs are the same except they don't want to cut spending in a meaningful way but would rather increase taxes.

A great example is this board, I mention that we should allow ALL the Bush tax cuts to expire and people get all up in a tizzy. As Greenspan said, the decisions we have with the Bush tax cuts are Bad or worse. It's an economic reality that needs to occur, maybe we could allow the tax cuts to continue for another year or two but after that they need to expire. People just don't understand how bad our debt is, sure they know all the talking points, but when it comes time for action, no one wants to do anything of significant value to address this problem.

This deficit commission that was created by the president is a joke! Nothing will come about it, the left have made sure that they put in people all the way to the left, for !@#$s sake, Andy Stern is on the commission and they have already come out with a pledge saying that S.S is off limits and the right has put in people that are hell bent on raising any taxes. Nothing is going to come about of this.

I can agree to letting the tax cuts expire as long as they also cut spending by an equal amount. And by cut I mean CUT not reduce increases!!!!!!

I can agree to letting the tax cuts expire as long as they also cut spending by an equal amount. And by cut I mean CUT not reduce increases!!!!!!

As Peace pointed out earlier, they would need to cut spending by at least double of the savings created through tax increases.

No, you misinterpreted what I said. The whole isn't largely to be blamed because of the tax cuts, but due to spending policies from both sides of the aisle.

No I totally agree with you. BOTH sides need to have a major adjustment in their spending policies.