Why do the Bills change all O-Line positions

I find it rather odd that the Bills, great talent evaluaters that they have become, find it necessary to draft a collect O-lineman who excelled at one position in college and make them play somewhere else with the Bills. Wood was a center, guard witht he Bills, Levitre was a tackle, guard with the Bills, Wang a tackle now practicing at guard. I'm guessing had we drafted Mangold we would have made him a guard. It makes no sense to me.

I find it rather odd that the Bills, great talent evaluaters that they have become, find it necessary to draft a collect O-lineman who excelled at one position in college and make them play somewhere else with the Bills. Wood was a center, guard witht he Bills, Levitre was a tackle, guard with the Bills, Wang a tackle now practicing at guard. I'm guessing had we drafted Mangold we would have made him a guard. It makes no sense to me.

seems like we do that with more than just the 0-line, we do it all over the field. And I , like you, am stumped by it as well.

A college team collects the biggest badest dudes they can find and depending on team needs move these guys around. A college running team requires power up the middle and speed Tackles for sweeps and protection.

The Pros are a different story and the over all speed of the game dictates how you use players.

Way to complicated to discuss in one thread.

Edited by Another Point of View

A college team collects the biggest badest dudes they can find and depending on team needs move these guys around. A college running team requires power up the middle and speed Tackles for sweeps and protection.

The Pros are a different story and the over all speed of the game dictates how you use players.

Maybe so, but it seems like that some of our best O-linemen of the past have maintained positions -- Ruben Brown, Kent Hull, Reggie McKenzie... We did hit a homer with Jason Peters, but that seems to be an exception.

The same way the Bears moved Urlacher from safety to LB. the same way they move LB's to DE's and DE's to OLB's. The same way the Steelers move Hines Ward who played QB to WR. The same way the Steelers moved Antwan Randle El from QB to WR. The same way the Patriots moved Julian Edelman from QB to WR. The same way the Browns moved Josh Cribbs from QB to WR. The same way the Jets moved Brad Smith from QB to WR.

Teams do it ALL the time. So what's the point you're trying to make? You talk as if we're the only team that does this.

Edited by DreReed83

Almost as complicated as understanding the difference between "too" and "to" :oops:

We also haven't drafted any lineman with skill so specific that they're commodities in the first 1-3 rounds.

Those we have (Wood and Levitre) have, for the most part, stayed put.

Levitre played tackle in college.

Wood played center in college.

Edited by VABills

IMO, it's less about changing their natural position and grooming them to play multiple roles on the line, in case they're needed.

Right, and the transition for Wood wasn't a huge leap, and Levitre was touted as an interior lineman going into the draft.

You're not wrong, Walter, you're just an !@#$.

The OP wanted to know why we keep switching position. I am right and you are the idiot.

Levitre was a tackle in college and why he actually was able to move back to tackle and play it effectively at the end of last season. Wood was a center in college and there is a huge difference between center and guard.

Edited by VABills

The OP wanted to know why we keep switching position. I am right and you are the idiot.

Levitre was a tackle in college and why he actually was able to move back to tackle and play it effectively at the end of last season. Wood was a center in college and there is a huge difference between center and guard.

There is a huge difference?? Wood was touted as an interior lineman he also played tackle and guard in high school. Every scouting service said he could play any poition along the line.

Another thing about Wood is, he is still coming off a nastey injury and he can't even play a whole game and he hasn't play all that well since the injury.... so I don't know what all this talk about moving him around when the guy is struggleing out on the field and trying to get healthy. Can we at least let the guy get healthy and playing well again before we move him around again.

Not to mention have a stud RG has been more important than having a stud C. And hangartner has actually been playing better than wood this season, because wood is still nursing that leg.... so you people are crazy for wanting to move him to center when the guy can't even finish a game.

Wood played a different line position in college, but he hasn't moved around since he's been here at Buffalo.

Changing positions is pretty standard fare as players move up in competition. This is due to both increased competition at each position and different needs of teams at the higher levels. Lots of tackles in college are put there because they are the strongest and fastest lineman the team has, but in the pros their speed and size is typically not large/fast enough to handle the pro players so they get moved into guard. It's also easier to help guards so that position is often a starting point for young players (like tackles) to get some playing time on the field. As they gain experience, strength and technique then they get moved to positions of greater responsibility like tackle (or center).

Not to mention have a stud RG has been more important than having a stud C. And hangartner has actually been playing better than wood this season, because wood is still nursing that leg.... so you people are crazy for wanting to move him to center when the guy can't even finish a game.

Also very true. Wood hasn't completely come back from his injury and has struggled this season. But has been our best RG.

We also haven't drafted any lineman with skill so specific that they're commodities in the first 1-3 rounds.

Those we have (Wood and Levitre) have, for the most part, stayed put.

Wood was a center in college and Levitre a tackle -- both ar enow guards. With such a lack of talent at tackle why do we have Wang working at guard -- does that signal a move of Wood to center?

Wood was a center in college and Levitre a tackle -- both ar enow guards. With such a lack of talent at tackle why do we have Wang working at guard

Because they want Wang to know both positions. He is already a backup tackle. Now he is the backup T/G. Him knowing both positions makes him more useful. Training him at 2 positions makes him more valuable for depth.

-- does that signal a move of Wood to center?

No. Can we please let wood get healthy before we force him into a new position? "yeah, we know you are nursing a broken leg, are struggeling out there, and you can't even play a whole game... but you mind learning a starting in a position you never started in the nfl? It seems like a good time for you to learn, with your injury and all...."

Good grief. The switching Wood to Center right now is just ridiculous.

This is a recurring problem with Tom Modrak. He and his team rate players based on their specific skill sets and then "project" where those skills would best be used at the NFL level.

Arthur Moats was clearly a perfect fit for OLB, yet Modrak and the scouts had him at ILB until the coaching staff realized it made no sense.

well...you know it might have been good to have worked to keep a healthy guard who knows how to play the position....someone like..oh....INCOGNITO? That way we wouldn't have had to get guys who haven't shown that they can play the positions that they were drafted for and convert them into guards.

Wood was a center in college and Levitre a tackle -- both ar enow guards. With such a lack of talent at tackle why do we have Wang working at guard -- does that signal a move of Wood to center?

I'm thinking they don't know if Wang can stay healthy at tackle - considering his brief history here. The game could be a little fast for him out there. Maybe some time at guard will help him.

Not to mention that it happens on EVERY single team in the league. Why do you guys constantly reach for things to B word and moan about!?

I think our scouts do this to make it seem like they know more than other evaulators and if they get one out of 10 right they look like "geniuses" to RW. Wood should be the C on this team like Mangold is to the Jets. No reason to move him to guard whatsoever. Hartencrapper sucks.

Most Evaluaters were the ones calling Wood a guard.

:worthy: Great observation!

Along with making rookies play different positions then they excelled at in college, Nix also seemed to go out of his way to draft players from small unknown colleges. Terrell Troup and Alex Carrington spring to mind. Not many NFL teams use their 2nd and 3rd draft choices - both - on small college players, but the GM from the Buffalo Bills sure did. And what greatness did he and his Modrak - led team of scouts mine from those two players that the teams choosing ahead of the Bills miss out on? :w00t::doh: Troup plays invisible when he plays at all, and Carrington doesn't play....at all. Seems to me, in today's NFL, with all the money these rookies are demanding, you should get more out of your 2nd and 3rd round picks.

And I love what they did with Arthur Moats. Another player from a small college...of course. But the guy at least had some amazing pass rushing numbers from his DE position down there, and he may have added a spark from the edge considering how pathetic the Bills DE's and OLB's are. Naturally, Gailey and Edwards instead forced him to switch to an INSIDE linebacker, a position he never even played at his small college!! From day one of mini camps all the way up until a couple of weeks ago, this kid was wasted trying to take on centers and guards and learn how to play ILB at the NFL level, until somehow a "light bulb" went off in Edwards' mind and he decided to put Moats back on the outside. Wow, what a freakin' ingenious revelation, huh?? And as with Buffalo Bills luck these past 10 plus years would have it, Moats gets injured early in his first game playing OLB, or DE, wherever he lined up on the outside.

Truly amazing, and, only in Buffalo. :bag:

It's a mystery as to why Wood is not being made our center for the next 10 years. I see him as Kent Hull 2.0.

I'm with you there. I haven't been anywhere near as satisfied with Hangartner as others have been, and I was initially happy with the signing. It does look like the staff is considering it, what with all the moves behind Levitre and Wood they're making at the Guard position. I think they really want Wood at Center - as do I. I think, also, if we can find a decent Guard to replace Wood, we could keep Hangartner as primary backup - he'd make a good backup center/guard - and switch Bell to RT. That would allow us to pursue an excellent LT, assuming we have Wood's replacement somewhere now on the team. Or, we keep Bell at LT and look for a really solid RT.

Either way, I think Gailey will be certain to have a good O-line next year - I'm sure of it. His forte is Offense, and without a decent line he will look like an incompetent joke.

:worthy: Great observation!

Along with making rookies play different positions then they excelled at in college, Nix also seemed to go out of his way to draft players from small unknown colleges. Terrell Troup and Alex Carrington spring to mind. Not many NFL teams use their 2nd and 3rd draft choices - both - on small college players, but the GM from the Buffalo Bills sure did. And what greatness did he and his Modrak - led team of scouts mine from those two players that the teams choosing ahead of the Bills miss out on? :w00t::doh: Troup plays invisible when he plays at all, and Carrington doesn't play....at all. Seems to me, in today's NFL, with all the money these rookies are demanding, you should get more out of your 2nd and 3rd round picks.

And I love what they did with Arthur Moats. Another player from a small college...of course. But the guy at least had some amazing pass rushing numbers from his DE position down there, and he may have added a spark from the edge considering how pathetic the Bills DE's and OLB's are. Naturally, Gailey and Edwards instead forced him to switch to an INSIDE linebacker, a position he never even played at his small college!! From day one of mini camps all the way up until a couple of weeks ago, this kid was wasted trying to take on centers and guards and learn how to play ILB at the NFL level, until somehow a "light bulb" went off in Edwards' mind and he decided to put Moats back on the outside. Wow, what a freakin' ingenious revelation, huh?? And as with Buffalo Bills luck these past 10 plus years would have it, Moats gets injured early in his first game playing OLB, or DE, wherever he lined up on the outside.

Truly amazing, and, only in Buffalo. :bag:

You know, I've mentioned this a few times on various posts - but it looks to me like the Bills coaching staff is losing on purpose this year - Yeah, I know how hard it is to even consider, and I know all the arguments against the idea. Still, I just see them looking at what they inherited, not being able to get key F.A.'s, and knowing that if they're going to depend on drafting a star QB and a few other positions, they'll need really high picks.

So, they can't just go out and throw the game. But, what they can do is keep young guys with a lot of potential on the bench (Carrington, Brohm, Spiller) and next year they'll have Carrington - who could be good, along with guys like Batton at OLB - who also could be decent there (I think I remember reading he was quicker than even Maybin off the snap), Marcus Easley. We haven't seen Sean Nelson.

I really think they are content letting this year be an evaluation year - Tough Medicine, so to speak - and getting their highly coveted QB. Next year we'll have a star-in-the-making QB, a revamped O-line, Easley and Nelson to add to the guys we already have, not to mention Jackson and Spiller, and probably another WR.

I wouldn't be surprised if that offense is pretty good next year, guys. There's hope.

Edited by sllib olaffub