Buffalo fans overrated perceptions

mrags

I don't get on here much anymore because of work. I probably won't even be able to read the replies to this topic but I have to say it. This team is a horrible mess. Anyone that watches football on a weekly basis can see that we are outclassed by all the other teams in the league (this includes the Raiders, Browns, 49ers and Lions). The major reason for this is our lack of talent at ALMOST every position on the field. With the exception of Jackson there isn't a single player on this team that would be a #1 option on any DECENT team in the NFL. This includes Evans, Poz, Whitner, McGee, Byrd, McKelvin, Wood, and Levitre. Whitner might be the closest thing to a decent team with a solid defense in front of him. I don't want to hear all the Evans chat, he's a joke! He would be a #2 option on any team in the league, he is very one dimensional and a true #1 option is a game changer. He's done this less than I have fingers on one hand in his entire career. The same goes for Poz and that's only half the time because the other half he is injured from a hangnail. Byrd played well last year but has t shown anything at all since and McKelvin has done nothing since the preseason game against Pittsburgh when he was a rookie. These guys were all early draft picks, most of them in the first round and expected to be at least good.

My point to all this is we have to stop thinking what we have is more valuable than they are. Lynch was an early pick and runs like he was a 4th round back. We got lucky to have a team dumb enough to trade for this dirtball that can't stay out of trouble. I logged in to see all these threads about how we shouldn't get anything less than a 2nd for Lynch, 3rd for Whitner, 1st for Evans, 4th for Stroud. You people make me laugh. I've never seen so many people so delusional about what we have on this team. We might be dead last in every statistical category worth mentioning by the end of the year. Here's a hint...... Our players are NOT any good. If we keep holding onto guys like Evans (because he's a standup guy and he's our best WR), we are holding on to a losing product. If these guys are that bad on our team what makes you think any other team would sacrifice anything for them. We need to trade as many guys as possible, turn this roster around completely within 2-3 years or we will be right hack to 8-8 in no time. Get what you can for these guys while we suck and deal with the pain now and build for the future. If you notice this is what good teams do, Patriots, Eagles, Ciwvoys, Steelers. How many tines have you been watching the draft and see the Pats with 2 first round picks? And sure enough they trade 1 for a 2nd and something else along with another 1st the next year. It doesn't matter who goes at this point. Were in fire sale mode. Get rid of anyone and everyone that some team is dumb enough to give up a draft pick for and hope that rhis GM and coaching staff can draft better than the last 3.

I'm done, have fun agreeing or tearing me apart. I don't care. But when you see some of these players get cut or traded to new teams and continue to put up sub par stats you will see I was right.

Sorry for the spelling errors. I'm doing all this from my Iphone.

I respect your opinion. Consider T. Owens, though. He looked average on our team last year. This year he's putting up the kind of numbers you'd expect from a player of his recognized caliber. Certainly we are overmatched on a weekly basis by these other NFL teams. But - and this is my opinion - many of our players could play well on another team, or might look markedly better if under a different coach.

Imagine this: Rex Ryan comes to Buffalo with a whole off-season to prepare. I bet he could take our roster as is and have it performing at somewhere between a 10-15 ranking in the NFL. A lot of success is using the talent in the right way.

I think we just didn't have the right pieces in place for a 3-4 - namely, we didn't have the linebackers. You give us two good OLB's and another solid ILB, or even one really good one of each, and our Defense is a lot better all around. Pressure on the QB will make our secondary look good again.

And, our O-line was a disaster from last year, and yet there was nothing done to make it better for this year. I really believe Spiller would look really good on a team like Baltimore, for instance. I think Nix and Gailey saw what they had inherited and just didn't think by making marginal improvements on the offense to get to a 8-8 or 9-7 record would be as valuable long term as just bottoming out this year with what they had, knowing they'd be terrible, but also seeing what talent they do have, and then going for a real franchise QB with the high draft pick next year. Then you solidify the line.

What I offer here is merely an alternative to your way of seeing things. I know this front office could do things next off-season to make what I said seem naive; I can really only give myself one more season - this is my reasoning - before I give up on the Bills as having any stake in winning for the forseeable future.

I will admit I thought the Bills had more talent on the roster. I mean they didn't go 0-16 the last 10 years. I figured they were a 5-6 win team under bad coaching and would become a 7-8 win team with Chan. I'm still stunned at what has happened to this squad. How did they get worse?

PTR

I don't get on here much anymore because of work. I probably won't even be able to read the replies to this topic but I have to say it. This team is a horrible mess. Anyone that watches football on a weekly basis can see that we are outclassed by all the other teams in the league (this includes the Raiders, Browns, 49ers and Lions). The major reason for this is our lack of talent at ALMOST every position on the field. With the exception of Jackson there isn't a single player on this team that would be a #1 option on any DECENT team in the NFL. This includes Evans, Poz, Whitner, McGee, Byrd, McKelvin, Wood, and Levitre. Whitner might be the closest thing to a decent team with a solid defense in front of him. I don't want to hear all the Evans chat, he's a joke! He would be a #2 option on any team in the league, he is very one dimensional and a true #1 option is a game changer. He's done this less than I have fingers on one hand in his entire career. The same goes for Poz and that's only half the time because the other half he is injured from a hangnail. Byrd played well last year but has t shown anything at all since and McKelvin has done nothing since the preseason game against Pittsburgh when he was a rookie. These guys were all early draft picks, most of them in the first round and expected to be at least good.

My point to all this is we have to stop thinking what we have is more valuable than they are. Lynch was an early pick and runs like he was a 4th round back. We got lucky to have a team dumb enough to trade for this dirtball that can't stay out of trouble. I logged in to see all these threads about how we shouldn't get anything less than a 2nd for Lynch, 3rd for Whitner, 1st for Evans, 4th for Stroud. You people make me laugh. I've never seen so many people so delusional about what we have on this team. We might be dead last in every statistical category worth mentioning by the end of the year. Here's a hint...... Our players are NOT any good. If we keep holding onto guys like Evans (because he's a standup guy and he's our best WR), we are holding on to a losing product. If these guys are that bad on our team what makes you think any other team would sacrifice anything for them. We need to trade as many guys as possible, turn this roster around completely within 2-3 years or we will be right hack to 8-8 in no time. Get what you can for these guys while we suck and deal with the pain now and build for the future. If you notice this is what good teams do, Patriots, Eagles, Ciwvoys, Steelers. How many tines have you been watching the draft and see the Pats with 2 first round picks? And sure enough they trade 1 for a 2nd and something else along with another 1st the next year. It doesn't matter who goes at this point. Were in fire sale mode. Get rid of anyone and everyone that some team is dumb enough to give up a draft pick for and hope that rhis GM and coaching staff can draft better than the last 3.

I'm done, have fun agreeing or tearing me apart. I don't care. But when you see some of these players get cut or traded to new teams and continue to put up sub par stats you will see I was right.

Sorry for the spelling errors. I'm doing all this from my Iphone.

See the items I highlighted to be sure you know what I am replying to.

1. It is obvious you do not come here a lot. That is not a "shot" at you, but if you had time to read a wider sample of opinions, you would see that few people would argue that this team is NOT a horrible mess.

2. Moorman and Lindell would be starters on an NFL team anywhere. I will not go through the roster and try justify the good apples in a rotten barrel, but there ARE some players on the Bills that would be starters with a supporting cast. It is a team sport, after all.

3. If you are going to mosey in every now and then to laugh at us (the collective us = TBD community), I guess I have nothing to say that is fit to print.

I am glad you are entertained so easily and bow to your superior football insight and opinions. :worthy:

I will admit I thought the Bills had more talent on the roster. I mean they didn't go 0-16 the last 10 years. I figured they were a 5-6 win team under bad coaching and would become a 7-8 win team with Chan. I'm still stunned at what has happened to this squad. How did they get worse?

PTR

Why are you stunned that the team got worse? The OL, tackle positions, weren't upgraded. The qb position wasn't upgraded. The TE continues to make no contribution to the offense. The team went to a 3-4 scheme without having players suited for that scheme. The LB corps is one of the worst units in the league. Our special teams have gotten worse. I wasn't a fan of TO but his departure certainly didn't improve the potency of the offense.

When John Clayton was asked on WGR if he was surprised that the Bills were ranked as the worst team in the NFL his response was no. He stated that he picked them to be the worst team in the NFL prior to the season. Almost every credible NFL analyst PRIOR to the season ranked the Bills being 29-32.

The Bills didn't do anything consequential to upgrade the team this offseason. They were bad last season. So what did you expect? Not only didn't the Bills improve but the teams within the division got better. This offseason the Bills slid further back.

I remember when Marshall Faulk on a NFL TV show laughed when asked about the Bills. A lot of people on this board skewered him. He was absolutely right.

You and a lot of other fans got caught up with the standard company PR sham. Success in the NFL is about talent on the team. When your team is talentless the outcome should come as no surprise, at least to those people who are not drinking the Kool-Aid. When judging this embarrassing organization don't buy into the hollow words, instead, intensely observe what they do on the personnel side.

For the most part OP u are right and there are very few left that would argue with your assessment, as the other posters noted above.

The only thing i would take issue with your post is about guys like wood and levitre - gotta give those real young guys at least a little more time before trashing them with the rest.

Why are you stunned that the team got worse? The OL, tackle positions, weren't upgraded. The qb position wasn't upgraded. The TE continues to make no contribution to the offense. The team went to a 3-4 scheme without having players suited for that scheme. The LB corps is one of the worst units in the league. Our special teams have gotten worse. I wasn't a fan of TO but his departure certainly didn't improve the potency of the offense.

When John Clayton was asked on WGR if he was surprised that the Bills were ranked as the worst team in the NFL his response was no. He stated that he picked them to be the worst team in the NFL prior to the season. Almost every credible NFL analyst PRIOR to the season ranked the Bills being 29-32.

The Bills didn't do anything consequential to upgrade the team this offseason. They were bad last season. So what did you expect? Not only didn't the Bills improve but the teams within the division got better. This offseason the Bills slid further back.

I remember when Marshall Faulk on a NFL TV show laughed when asked about the Bills. A lot of people on this board skewered him. He was absolutely right.

You and a lot of other fans got caught up with the standard company PR sham. Success in the NFL is about talent on the team. When your team is talentless the outcome should come as no surprise, at least to those people who are not drinking the Kool-Aid. When judging this embarrassing organization don't buy into the hollow words, instead, intensely observe what they do on the personnel side.

I don't know how you could say it any better than that. Until we get new ownership who wants to bring a championship to Buffalo, A New young inventive GM who knows how to build such a team, The Bills will be Team FAIL for the long haul.

Edited by mattsox