How do you people in Buffalo support WGR 550?

BLZFAN4LIFE

What insight do you need to discuss the Bills for the past ten years? If it is the same old story, then it is the same old story. Ugly is simply ugly. How do you freshly analyze a generation of garbage?

bc nothings changed teh analysis should be garbage? so teams that have been successful for the past ten years should have garbage analysis.

Its just an excuse for WGR thats all. I've actually talked to some of these guys who get their analysis from other people, bc they are clueless.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bc nothings changed teh analysis should be garbage? so teams that have been successful for the past ten years should have garbage analysis.

No, the hosts in New England can talk about whether their defense is good enough to win a SB, whether the offense is explosive enough sans Moss, the upcoming schedule, and the Jets schedule, and figure out what needs to happen to win the division and get a 1st round bye.

What is Buffalo supposed to talk about?

"We need better players".

"We need better coaches".

"But our owner is a senile 92yr old".

"But when he dies the team might move".

What else is there to say? I'm sorry but discussing which defensive scheme to run with this team is just minutia given the bigger picture of problems. There's just not much to talk about until April when hopefully we find a savior for a QB.

Edited by BuffOrange

Thats a joke right?

It's not, but it is based on my own experience living in and visiting numerous cities, so maybe it's incorrect. Most cities that I have lived in and/or been to have a lot of nationwide programming on the sports station. When I was in Washington (for a long time), virtually everything on 980 AM was a syndicated show.

A significant number of WGR listeners feed off the victim mentality. They love being told how Ralph Wilson, Tom Golisano, The NFL, and whoever is screwing them. It's a WNY mindset.

PTR

I just find them entertaining. Even the stuff that pisses most people off, like a country draft, amuses me. Sports and humor are mindless stuff--perfect for the shower in the morning or the drive home after work.

I always listen to The Howard Simon show on the drive in and it gets very frustrating that a radio host will admit to not seeing a game and still comment on said game. Simon does that frequently b/c his son has an activity of some sort. I call the Whiner line during both Bills and Sabres games with the same in sight we all use here and b/c I am well known there at WGR I won't get aired...but some drunken jerk pointing out the painfully obvious and sputtering out sentence fragments gets all of the 3 mins alotted. Then there is Jeremy, if he is not telling you how wrong you are, then he is talking over the Whiner Line. All these radio personalities have been painfully wrong about everything they blindly supported over the last decade. From Losman to Lynch to Edwards to Maybin to Jauron to Nix to Gailey to Ruff to Vanek to Connolly etc..etc...etc. I can only deduce that it is so they do not get their credentials pulled. I am actually in the process of trying to get a 4 hour call in radio show on Saturdays at WGR550 talking about sports. Called "You're on with Da Big Man" and unlike Schopp and Simon I would be very interested in listening to what the smart fans of Buffalo have to say. If we can see the problems before they happen and million dollar GM's and HC's can't. I'll take the fans view over One Bills drive's any day! :thumbsup:

Edited by Da Big Man

I always listen to The Howard Simon show on the drive in and it gets very frustrating that a radio host will admit to not seeing a game and still comment on said game. Simon does that frequently b/c his son has an activity of some sort. I call the Whiner line during both Bills and Sabres games with the same in sight we all use here and b/c I am well known there at WGR I won't get aired...but some drunken jerk pointing out the painfully obvious and sputtering out sentence fragments gets all of the 3 mins alotted. Then there is Jeremy, if he is not telling you how wrong you are, then he is talking over the Whiner Line. All these radio personalities have been painfully wrong about everything they blindly supported over the last decade. From Losman to Lynch to Edwards to Maybin to Jauron to Nix to Gailey to Ruff to Vanek to Connolly etc..etc...etc. I can only deduce that it is so they do not get their credentials pulled. I am actually in the process of trying to get a 4 hour call in radio show on Saturdays at WGR550 talking about sports. Called "You're on with Da Big Man" and unlike Schopp and Simon I would be very interested in listening to what the smart fans of Buffalo have to say. If we can see the problems before they happen and million dollar GM's and HC's can't. I'll take the fans view over One Bills drive's any day! :thumbsup:

That's what I'm talkin' about Big Man. I've taken a lot of heat around here in the past for being negative about the moves that this organization has made. However, I am on record for being against drafting Whitner over Ngata, trading up for McCargo, and taking Maybin over Orakpo. I made these comments AS THEY HAPPENED, not in retrospect. I was greeted with the typical homer B.S. around here. Comments like...

-" But he must suck because I never heard of him"

- "Then why aren't you an NFL GM"

- " Somebody call the wambulance"

So many morons that can't see the forest through the trees. I don't think I should be an NFL GM, but I am on record for calling this organization out on the mistakes they have made AS THEY HAPPENED. While I'm at it I will also admit that my current account is my second go-around at TSW because my first account which dated back to '05 was cancelled due to "crusading" against J.P. Losman. I was Waaay ahead of the curve on this guy and would have pulled the plug on him after we lost 20-17 in Detroit on 10/15/06. I continued to be a pariah around here as the company line was arguments like...

- "Losman is the 16th ranked qb in the league"

- "Losman needs time to develop"

- " even though he's been in the league for three years, he's technically a rookie"

So my account was terminated. HOW DID MY ASSESSMENT TURN OUT?

I suppose the bottom line is that common sense is not so common and wisdom, clarity of thought, and a high I.Q. should be considered a blessing. :thumbsup:

Edited by BLZFAN4LIFE

That's what I'm talkin' about Big Man. I've taken a lot of heat around here in the past for being negative about the moves that this organization has made. However, I am on record for being against drafting Whitner over Ngata, trading up for McCargo, and taking Maybin over Orakpo. I made these comments AS THEY HAPPENED, not in retrospect. I was greeted with the typical homer B.S. around here. Comments like...

-" But he must suck because I never heard of him"

- "Then why aren't you an NFL GM"

- " Somebody call the wambulance"

So many morons that can't see the forest through the trees. I don't think I should be an NFL GM, but I am on record for calling this organization out on the mistakes they have made AS THEY HAPPENED. While I'm at it I will also admit that my current account is my second go-around at TSW because my first account which dated back to '05 was cancelled due to "crusading" against J.P. Losman. I was Waaay ahead of the curve on this guy and would have pulled the plug on him after we lost 20-17 in Detroit on 10/15/06. I continued to be a pariah around here as the company line was arguments like...

- "Losman is the 16th ranked qb in the league"

- "Losman needs time to develop"

- " even though he's been in the league for three years, he's technically a rookie"

I suppose the bottom line is that common sense is not so common and wisdom, clarity of thought, and a high I.Q. should be considered a blessing. :thumbsup:

Who the hell cares if you happened to be right about a few things? Most of these moves looked horrible from the start anyways.

Look me! Me am beat own chest, toot own horn! BLZFAN4LIFE strongest one there is!

(pst...nobody cares)

At 6'0" and 255, I am pretty strong, but I am pimpin' my intellect at the moment. :flirt: So bow down before the one you serve.

You don't appear to possess much of an intellect. If you were as obnoxious with your previous account as you are now then it's not really surprising that it was suspended. OMG, you thought JP wasn't going to be very good? I can't imagine that anyone else had that same opinion?!!! What other pearls of incredible wisdom can you offer us, oh great sage? Is grass still green???

If you need to toot your horn it's because no one else is willing to do it for you.

You don't appear to possess much of an intellect. If you were as obnoxious with your previous account as you are now then it's not really surprising that it was suspended. OMG, you thought JP wasn't going to be very good? I can't imagine that anyone else had that same opinion?!!! What other pearls of incredible wisdom can you offer us, oh great sage? Is grass still green???

If you need to toot your horn it's because no one else is willing to do it for you.

You obviously weren't around here at the time and have no idea how long-time regular posters and moderators alike treated me for seeing Losman's flaws before they became apparent to everyone else.

You obviously weren't around here at the time and have no idea how long-time regular posters and moderators alike treated me for seeing Losman's flaws before they became apparent to everyone else.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the banning wasn't due simply to a dissenting opinion. You don't come across as exceptionally tactful and it's easy to see where threads on the subject would turn heated. It's not surprising there were many that held out wishing to see JP develop into the player he was drafted to be: hope based denial is part and parcel to sports fandom. I was never optimistic about JP, but I hoped a magic bullet would hit him between the eyes and he'd suddenly transform into a different QB. It wasn't realistic of course and I knew it wasn't going to happen, but fandom is irrational.

If you were tarred and feathered as you suggest... then sorry to hear. This board is much more civil than a lot of forums I've been a part of, but witch hunting gets hot and heavy when it happens to rear it's ugly head.

Edited by Punch

I'll be the first to say that I'm against almost every on air personality they have, mostly S&B and most of all Jerry Sullivan. But I goto school in Indiana, and listening to Buffalo radio gives me a sense of home. Simon and White are usually tolerable, but when your not really talked about on a national level, theres few sources to get your Buffalo sports fix.

Schopp and Bulldog are definitely negative dudes, Simon is probably the best personality for a team in shambles like ours because at least he sounds like he cares and he wants the Bills to get better and keeps conversations and topics more optimistic.

Schopp is just a moody human being. Sometimes he's cool and inviting to callers and other times he rips into people for not being able to articulate a point like they should be as smooth and communicative a professional speaker as he is. That turns me off, treating slower speaking or older callers with disrespect. I don't think either one of those guys are egomaniacs, but moody guys are a strange sort (just ask BillsFan4Life).

In fairness to the radio guys, how in the world could you talk 20 hours per week about our team without wanting to take your own life? I would never take that job in a million years. Its like they're in a catch 22-- Bills fans want sports radio but the team is so lackluster that there are only so many topics you can cover until you're talking about the same boring stuff over and over and over and over. Ugh.

When we're competitive its gotta be a great job, but they wouldn't know. Unfortunately.

I am actually in the process of trying to get a 4 hour call in radio show on Saturdays at WGR550 talking about sports. Called "You're on with Da Big Man" and unlike Schopp and Simon I would be very interested in listening to what the smart fans of Buffalo have to say. If we can see the problems before they happen and million dollar GM's and HC's can't. I'll take the fans view over One Bills drive's any day! :thumbsup:

Sorry but I strongly doubt that. Entercom's paid programming rates are very high. You have to make a 13 week down payment before you can even get credit with the company. You're looking at $6,000 to just get in the door. And that's at a smaller station like WWKB that might have the time to sell.

WGR has only a few paid programs, and its all extremely early in the morning on Saturday and Sunday.

If you're looking to podcast, or some online streaming, look into Shoutcast or UStream. Its free or pay service is pretty affordable.

There's a ton of options out there if you want to look into online broadcasting, it's a great way to learn. Build an audience, a cadence.

People think broadcasting is as simple as sitting in front of a microphone. It's really not. It takes work. A lot of practice. I've been working at WRUB.org for almost 3 years and I still listen to my airchecks and recognize where I can improve.

Is it brain surgery? No. But if you really think you can do a better job, apply to the 3 commercial radio companies (Entercom, Regent, Citadel) we have here and see what they say.

Schopp and the Bulldog can be entertaining at times... but when they start relentlessly harping on a particular point and refuse to hear any dissent and the insults upon the callers begins is when they "jump the shark" into being completely unlistenable: and right now is a perfect example. Chan Gailey's comments (in reference to the potential suspensions for hits to the head) about not wanting the NFL to "turn into a two hand touch league" were only intended to be cautious against the possibility of another "in the grasp" type system being put in place. Where a witch hunt will ensue and the league will go so far in the opposite direction that defensive players will be unsure of what is legal and both penalties and suspensions will not be called in a consistent manner.

Players never led with their helmets until now? Dick Butkus was just a hard tackler and didn't put his head down and launch himself at ballcarriers? Give me a !@#$ing break. There are any number of highlight videos on youtube that show old time players tackling in the same fashion. Maybe it's worse now; regardless, it should definitely be corrected to protect players, but it's absolutely ridiculous to pretend that A) this is only a recent issue and B) somehow Gailey is using macho posturing. He clearly said it's a serious issue that needs to be fixed and only tempered it with hope that the league would use the proper restraint. These comments are not worth 3 hours of "B word and moan" radio programming but that's exactly what it'll be followed by a hack "editorial" posted to the wgr website. This is when I want to reach across the radio waves and smack the microphone away from their faces.

These guys,Simon and White, or Schopp and Bulldog, talk a good fight but when it comes to crunch time they fold. Every time Simon had Marv Levy on his show he deferred and treated him with kid gloves. He wouldn't ask him any tough questions. Same with Lindy Ruff when he's on there...no tough questions. S and B the same. They had on Regier last week and totally gave the guy a pass...again no hard questions about his boneheaded moves. There's a guy who's begging for some hard questions. These guys are all BS!