How do you people in Buffalo support WGR 550?

BLZFAN4LIFE

I tune in from time to time via Al Gore's great invention and sometimes listen to archived segments. But their lineup has to be one of the worst in the entire nation and that is not hyperbole. Howard Simon and Jeremy White are two intellectually challenged conceited punks. They have zero credibility when it comes to the Bills because they have supported the losing side of every issue from Losman to Edwards only to turn around and act like they were never wrong to begin with. It is also clear from listening to these two morons that they have no roots or true connection to Buffalo's sports history. Schopp & the yes man are nothing but a joke who resort to insulting their callers as their main shtick.

Why do people continue to tune in to this pathetic amateur garbage? I am seriously amazed that this station pulls in enough advertising revenue to keep this insufferable drivel on the air.

Edited by BLZFAN4LIFE

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty simple: A) People in Buffalo are hungry for Bills and Sabres related sports talk, B) WGR is the only game in town.

Nick Mendola and Brad Riter both do afternoon shows on WECK 1230 but it's not limited to sports, plus during baseball season Mendola is replaced by Yankees broadcasts.

It's kind of like how in a small town even the ugly girls can get dates. Supply and demand.

I tune in from time to time via Al Gore's great invention and sometimes listen to archived segments. But their lineup has to be one of the worst in the entire nation and that is not hyperbole. Howard Simon and Jeremy White are two intellectually challenged conceited punks. They have zero credibility when it comes to the Bills because they have supported the losing side of every issue from Losman to Edwards only to turn around and act like they were never wrong to begin with. It is also clear from listening to these two morons that they have no roots or true connection to Buffalo's sports history. Schopp & the yes man are nothing but a joke who resort to insulting their callers as their main shtick.

Why do people continue to tune in to this pathetic amateur garbage? I am seriously amazed that this station pulls in enough advertising revenue to keep this insufferable drivel on the air.

Haha that's so true. I loved how after the Packers-Vikings Monday night game last year the light finally went off as Howard spent the whole morning saying "ya know, a QB can still make plays when he's being rushed as Rodgers did last night". Gee Howard it took you forty or fifty something years to figure that out - was that the first non-Bills game you watched?

I like Schopp & Bulldog though. Their callers are usually that dumb.

I am originally from Southeastern Massachusetts and I now live in Central New Jersey. I think both markets are FAR superior to WGR. I have to say that (as much as I hate the Pats) WEEI in Boston is a great station. To outsiders they may seem arrogant or smug about their teams, but if you look at the landscape of Boston sports the last ten years or so there has certainly been enough success to justify it a bit. They are a very successful station and they have a great relationship with the local teams.

New York isn't a bad market either. I hate the Yankees, and the Jets obviously but the shows down here on 660 are pretty entertaining (Boomer, Francesa, etc.) and even 1050 is a cut above tolerable at times. (unless it's Cowherd, and Mike and Mike are marginal at best)

In comparison I listen to WGR on my pilgrimages to Buffalo, and online at times during the week and it just seems like amateur hour in a BIG way. Whenever Sullivan is a guest it's usually pretty cringe-worthy. But again, like the guys before me have said, if you want to hear sports talk about the Bills and the Sabres, they are the only game around. It's sad that such a great sports town has to deal with such mediocrity.

Frankly, most cities don't have as much local sports radio content as Buffalo does. And for a so-called "small market city," I'll bet we're almost unique.

That said, I listen because they entertain me. They might not entertain you; that's ok. You don't have to listen. And apparently, you don't even live here, so why do you care?

Personally, I stopped going there years ago - neither the dial on my car radio, nor anything else I own, goes that far left! B-)

(Although I do admit that, like an addict, I do occasionally 'take a whiff' just to see if it still smells as bad as I remember.)

like smelling your own farts after a long night of draft beer and greasy wings?

Well I no longer drink beer, and wings are out too - ever since I had 2 stents placed in my chest - but I do remember what those farts smelled like and, yeah, WGR 550 does smell like that!

Edited by The Senator

I like Schopp & Bulldog though. Their callers are usually that dumb.

So does that mean that only dumb people listen to them or is it that only the people who are dumb enough to keep getting insulted are dumb enough to keep calling?

I agree with the original poster. I use to live in Buffalo and now I'm living in Massachusetts. I listen over the internet when I have some free time and after every game just to get the local prospective but the quality of WGR 550 is pretty poor. I don't know how a radio station can insult their listener’s everyday and still have listeners. When people call in they are expressing their opinions and unless those opinions align with Schopp and the Bulldog's they get trashed. It truly is amateur hour at 550.

Frankly, most cities don't have as much local sports radio content as Buffalo does. And for a so-called "small market city," I'll bet we're almost unique.

That said, I listen because they entertain me. They might not entertain you; that's ok. You don't have to listen. And apparently, you don't even live here, so why do you care?

Thats a joke right?

So does that mean that only dumb people listen to them or is it that only the people who are dumb enough to keep getting insulted are dumb enough to keep calling?

When somebody calls in with the question.......Why don't we trade Maybin for a late 1st rounder,its time to cut the lawn. Yes, that was an actual question.

How would you like to be a broadcaster and have to comment on the Bills for the past decade? What can be said that hasn't been said about the team and organization? You can't fake enthusiasm when the product is the dismal Bills.

The Boston stations can talk about the Pats, Red Sox, Celtics and the surrounding college sports' teams. The primary sport product in Buffalo is the wretched Bills. They have been bad and boring for a generation. When that is your main source of material then don't be surprised when you get garbage.

Edited by JohnC

Like <1% of listeners of any show are callers? I'd say most people who are willing to be put on hold for an hour for 30 seconds of airtime are rather dumb.

How would you like to be a broadcaster and have to comment on the Bills for the past decade? What can be said that hasn't been said about the team and organization? You can't fake enthusiasm when the product is the dismal Bills.

The Boston stations can talk about the Pats, Red Sox, Celtics and the surrounding college sports' teams. The primary sport product in Buffalo is the wretched Bills. They have been bad and boring for a generation. When that is your main source of material then don't be surprised when you get garbage.

bc the Bills suck the analysis and insight should match? not buying it.

bc the Bills suck the analysis and insight should match? not buying it.

What insight do you need to discuss the Bills for the past ten years? If it is the same old story, then it is the same old story. Ugly is simply ugly. How do you freshly analyze a generation of garbage?

I like the morning show. Howard and Jeremy are lively and they have good guests. I like it when they box with Sullivan. As for Dope and the LapDog, I just can't stomach the two. They seem to hate everything, including their jobs. When they get with the Sullivan, they literally sound like patients in a depression clinic in a contest to see who's life is in more of a downward spiral. Too bad the listeners can't do a sports anchor draft and replace them.