It's time for a new T.V.

dib

My trusty and faithful Mitsubishi is showing signs of myopia and Alzheimers. So (sigh) I have to go T.V. shopping. My question is when is the best time to go? Before Christmas ( entering into mortal combat with other shoppers) or wait until after Christmas when stores get rid of the 2004 models. I'll probably stick with Mitsu, and am looking into the 50-60in. rectangular range.

My trusty and faithful Mitsubishi is showing signs of myopia and Alzheimers. So (sigh) I have to go T.V. shopping.  My question is when is the best time to go? Before Christmas ( entering into mortal combat with other shoppers) or wait until after Christmas when stores get rid of the 2004 models. I'll probably stick with Mitsu, and am looking into the 50-60in. rectangular range.

151430[/snapback]

Why would you want to wait, go now, well, before this weekend and get yourself a new one. Always check Best Buy for any open boxes that they might have because they usually have some pretty good deals on them, especially the larger screens. I have found, in dealing with the Christmas Rush, that Tuesday and Wednesday evenings are usually a bit less crowded than the other nights to shop. Unless of course you can leave work for a while and do some shopping, which I do, then it's even less crowded. Good Luck!! The Mitsu is always a good choice for the large screens.

Best buy is sending out 10% coupons good for this weekend. I just got mine yesterday. Not sure if they are valid on Sony TV's but I am sure if you browbeat them, they'll get you 10% off.

Buy a Sony Wega. There are others as good from other companies, but you have to research each model and sub-model to find out which are the good ones. With the Wega's you just decide what features you want to buy, and then you buy it. They are all top of the line.

The best TV on the market right now is the Sony XBR960 (34" widescreen). The picture qualitiy is lightyears ahead of any other screen. However, it's roughly $2,000 as well.

Check out http://www.avsforum.com and look for the TV forums; there's lots of questions and answers posted there about pretty much everything.

Check out out very own Consumer forum as well, as there's also TV information there.

CW

I have found, in dealing with the Christmas Rush, that Tuesday and Wednesday evenings are usually a bit less crowded than the other nights to shop. Unless of course you can leave work for a while and do some shopping, which I do, then it's even less crowded.

151432[/snapback]

Are you a chick? :w00t:

:lol:

Are you a chick? :(

:doh:

151524[/snapback]

HELL NO!!!!!! But I have gone shopping for my wife and daughter already and have gone those nights along with sneaking out of work for a little while during the day. I just know, from a guys persepctive, that dealing with these friggin broads during a busy time is ridiculous. I just have gotten lucky the last two weeks by going once on a Tuesday and the other on a Wednesday evening.

On a side note, and maybe I should bring this up as an OT topic, but, how much time does a guy spend at a Mall Bar as opposed to shopping during the holiday season?? Personally, it's about 90% to 10% in favor of the bar.

The best TV on the market right now is the Sony XBR960 (34" widescreen).  The picture qualitiy is lightyears ahead of any other screen.  However, it's roughly $2,000 as well.

Check out http://www.avsforum.com and look for the TV forums; there's lots of questions and answers posted there about pretty much everything.

Check out out very own Consumer forum as well, as there's also TV information there.

CW

151491[/snapback]

True but for a big pic in a nice lightweight offering the Samsung 50" DLP with HD rocks!!!!!!

...dib, what's the answer?  Did the Scum Sentinel revert to b/w mode Monday?

151595[/snapback]

The scum sentinel basically claimed that it wasnt so much that the Bills won, but that the Felons 'lost'. There was however a great color picture of Big Pat running back the int. In the background you can see Feely and the expression on his face looks like he just crapped himself.

The scum sentinel basically claimed that it wasnt so much that the Bills won, but that the Felons 'lost'.  There was however a great color picture of Big Pat running back the int.  In the background you can see Feely and the expression on his face looks like he just crapped himself.

151617[/snapback]

Naturally. What yahoos those South Florida media are. Always trying to rationalize their teams' faults without giving due credit to the opposition.

Color on Monday following a Felon loss...that's a step up.

Thanks Fez, and damn it brought up another question HDTV vs. HD ready TV

151505[/snapback]

Dude, this is really a moot point. All you have to look at is how you will recieve your signals. If all you want are the OTA networks, get HD REady. However, if you want ESPN, HBO,Discovery HD Theatre, Sunday ticket etc, you will either have to go Sat or cable. If satellite, you will be buying a set top box anyway that will have a built in tuner for OTA signals.. If cable they provide the box for a monthly charge. So, only spend extra for a tv with a built in tuner if all you want is ABC,CBS,FOX,NBC.

BTW I have the Samsung 46 inch HLN(previous model to the HLP) and it is awesome.

Thanks Fez, and damn it brought up another question HDTV vs. HD ready TV

151505[/snapback]

i've been told that HD ready is the way to go. when it comes with the board already installed, you can't really upgrade if/when technology changes. HD ready allows you that flexibility because you can just get a new cable or satellite box with the newer technology and you'll be all set.

i've been told that HD ready is the way to go.  when it comes with the board already installed, you can't really upgrade if/when technology changes.  HD ready allows you that flexibility because you can just get a new cable or satellite box with the newer technology and you'll be all set.

151654[/snapback]

You can do that anyway though -- as an analogy, if you get a TV with a built in VCR, there's nothing to stop you from using a separate VCR instead.

Basically, it doesn't really matter IMHO.

CW

i've been told that HD ready is the way to go.  when it comes with the board already installed, you can't really upgrade if/when technology changes.  HD ready allows you that flexibility because you can just get a new cable or satellite box with the newer technology and you'll be all set.

151654[/snapback]

Guess a matter of semantics. HD capable to me is the TV can display a 720P or 1080I resolution. However HD Ready implies the tuner is integrated already in to the TV. But I could certainly be wrong.So I guess we are saying the same thing.

Are you thinking of satellite or cable. Make sure you research this as each market has its quirks. For instance, here in Richmond, both Fox and CBS HD are not carried by cable. If satellite, go this web site and see what type of antenna you will need to get the locals hd stations

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

Also, I would tend to think that prices will drop after the holidays, but I truly have no idea. However, assuming we beat the brownies, then the Bengals should be HD, which has to play into your decision on when to buy.

True but for a big pic in a nice lightweight offering the Samsung 50" DLP with HD rocks!!!!!!

151597[/snapback]

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a DLP (I like the lightweight and thin profile). Does anyone have any additional models/price ranges I should be looking at?

The best TV on the market right now is the Sony XBR960 (34" widescreen).  The picture qualitiy is lightyears ahead of any other screen.  However, it's roughly $2,000 as well.

CW

151491[/snapback]

Fez,

Cool ! Great to find another avsforum fan here.

I've been a Mitsu freak for years, but this Sony 51 in. projection tv intrigues me.

151678[/snapback]

If you like Mitsu, stay with it. Check out reliability and repair records before you buy. As Fez suggests, do research on avsforum and it may open your eyes to other possibilities.

One piece of advice - why are you set on rectangular ? For movie watching, 16:9 is the way to go. Unless you don't plan on using it to watch movies....

About projection TV - I saw this at a friend's place and the viewing cone sucks big time. He had it at eye level if you are sitting down on one of his two sofas. But if you stand up or wander away from that sofa position, the picture deteriorated RAPIDLY. Please keep that in mind.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a DLP (I like the lightweight and thin profile). Does anyone have any additional models/price ranges I should be looking at?

151698[/snapback]

Samsung is clearly the leader in DLP sets. Whats good is they have already worked out most of the bugs/defects that go with any first generation product, and their line is now very stable. Most of the other manufacturers jumped into DLP once they realized the kind of numbers they Samsung was putting up, and have their first gen sets out now. As mentioned earlier, go the the AVS forum and do your due diligence before buying!

. I cannot speak for the other models, but I have had my Samsung almost a year now and am very pleased with it. I have the HLN series, which only has six colors on the wheel, and the new HLPs have seven, so should look even better.