Offense improving? Really?

Guest dog14787

Guest dog14787

I realize the rankings may be slightly different from site to site, but not enough to change the reality of the situation.

Miami Dolphins ranked 7th on defense (QB/TE struggles)

Green Bay Packers ranked 13th (QB/TE struggles)

New England Patriots ranked 28th (QB/Fitz improvement)

New York Jets ranked 11th on defense(QB/ Fitz struggles)

Jacksonville Jaguars ranked 30th on defense (QB/ Fitz improvement)

The Buffalo Bills are ranked 30th overall in passing, 17th in rushing so far this season. The Jaguars almost doubled the Bills in time of possession in the second half after making necessary adjustments during half time.

In my opinion the only improvement so far this season in anything is our bid to obtain the first pick overall in the 2011 draft.

Edited by dog14787

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that stuff is pretty obvious and a lot of us knew that. Especially after the pats* game people here were saying that their defense was just terrible and that is why the offense looked decent.

Though as for the jests game, most of that was on the recievers I think (and the defense of course). Fitz threw some nice balls, but a lot were dropped. Fitz is def a better fit than edwards in there.... but we also need a franchise QB.

But I think many people here already took the defenses we played into consideration awhile ago. Especially at the Pats* game.

Guest dog14787

By any measure, this offense is far better than what we put on the field last year. Miles to go, but last year's offense was pathetic.

Not every measure,(at least not if measured in yardage) we ended up ranking 30th overall in total yardage last season, we rank 30th now and our average yardage totals have dropped by 24 yards. (251 this season, 275 last season's avg)

Edited by dog14787

I realize the rankings may be slightly different from site to site, but not enough to change the reality of the situation.

New York Jets ranked 11th on defense(QB/ Fitz struggles)

The Buffalo Bills are ranked 30th overall in passing, 17th in rushing so far this season. The Jaguars almost doubled the Bills in time of possession in the second half after making necessary adjustments during half time.

In my opinion the only improvement so far this season in anything is our bid to obtain the first pick overall in the 2011 draft.

So you are saying that the offense with fitz is equal to or less then the of the offense of Trent. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Its like you never watched a bills game this season. Why are you in love with Trentard. He was afraid to throw the ball and just sucked period. FItz is like the opposite of Trent. He is a gamer that tries his best on ever play. Trent is a little kitty who cares more about himself then actually winning a game.

Not true,(at least in yardage) we ended up ranking 30th overall in total yardage last season, we rank 30th now and our average yardage totals have dropped by 24 yards. (251 this season, 275 last season's avg)

Well thank your lover trent for throwing barley throwing a 100 yards the first 2 games. That the reason why our average sucks.

By any measure, this offense is far better than what we put on the field last year. Miles to go, but last year's offense was pathetic.

Yup, simply watch. Statistics be damned....we're better this year. Anyone can see that.

New York Jets ranked 7th on defense(QB/ Fitz struggles)

The Jets controlled the ball for 40+ min and the Bills had the ball for19 min, that is pathetic.

The thing is... the Dolphins in that first game of the season came out run blitzing and spying Spiller to take him out of the game, and then to the Dolphins surprise they found they could easily run / pass blitz and the Bills protection schemes were so bad that they couldn't stop them in any aspect. The QB had around 2 seconds or less to get rid of the ball, the RB's were getting hit in the backfield as soon as they got the hand off and were tackled for a loss on almost every running play. Spiller was the feature back and had 7 attempts for 6 yards and the longest run was 6 years. That means the RB was successful only on ONE running play. The head coach made no adjustments, no changes, he just kept trying to run his offense and throw the ball out of the shotgun formation 75% of the offensive plays. Basically telling the opponent we are going to pass, try and stop us.

I know that the Dolphins game is simply that, one game, but that one game is a microcosm of what is wrong with this offense and head coach. I don't think this guy is purposely trying to lose games to get that first overall next year, although it sure looks that way to some. Go back to 2 years ago when he was the OC for the 2-14 KC Chiefs, the QB played pretty well when healthy and put up some decent stats considering how bad the offense was. That 08 KC offense played almost exactly the same way the Bills are currently playing. Like the Mike Martz passing offense it appears that Gailey's offense almost always has the QB in constant duress situations. Constantly trying to throw the ball like the Bills have Tom Brady back there behind the center.

Gailey did try and run the ball more against the Packers, which at the time didn't seem to bright a ploy because that very same Packer defense was #1 against the run the year before. The Bills had some success running the ball on one drive, but then failed to move the ball on the ground on a regular basis the rest of the game, which was putting the QB under duress and in constant long yardage situations, which then put him at the mercy of that Packer pass rush and more specifically Clay Mathews.

My take is this new head coach is no better then Turk Schonert or AVP in calling plays or setting up game plans, he wasn't even bright enough to see that Fred Jackson is by far the best RB on his team. Fred Jackson is so good a RB that he actually does make the O line look like its blocking better, even though the O line is actually blocking worse this season that last years. This HC is simply mentality retarded for not building the offensive game plan around the guy.

Bottom line: the Bills thought they were hiring an offensive guru who was supposed to make the offense better...he didn't, it isn't !! Last season the O line had the excuse of all those Injuries, This year this team is playing worse then the Jauron's teams riddled with injuries the last 3 seasons. Even with 20+ players out injured on Jaurons teams played better then this years team, that is sad.

The owner and FO keeps stating like a broken record that its the players that lack talent....he said it last year and now again this year, but who is doing the drafting? This same basic scouting dept has been there for 8 years and the same results, bad draft after bad draft. The talent is lacking on the sidelines (coaches) and in the front office (scouting dept) and an owner who remains president even after failing to get his team to the playoffs for a decade.

Guest dog14787

So, you're saying they still suck?

An argument can be made concerning strength of schedule, Buffalo having the overall 3rd toughest in the NFL, but relatively speaking from a yardage standpoint the Bills have regressed from last season.

the defense giving up over 30 points a gam doesn't help

You didn't answer the question, just avoided it

Yea well, same basic players, less injuries and the defense went from bad to horrid ... #2 against the pass last year, what changed.?

what doesn't help the defense is that the offense is so intent on passing that they don't even try to run the ball or can't, which would help in every aspect, time of possession, keep the defense on the bench to keep them fresh

Most everyone posting in this forum last season thought the Bills had a bad offensive line but its biggest problem was all the injuries, the only player that played in every game was the center, Hangartner. This year, without all the injuries,this line is even worse then last years, and that says a lot

Edited by Harvey lives

Not every measure,(at least not if measured in yardage) we ended up ranking 30th overall in total yardage last season, we rank 30th now and our average yardage totals have dropped by 24 yards. (251 this season, 275 last season's avg)

This offense has scored more points in the first 5 games this season than they did the first five games they did last season.... and last season for those 5 games, some included the bucs and browns.... the offense is improved as far as points go. We seem to be much better in the redzone now.

The offense still sucks, and needs a lot of work if it is going to ever compete in the division though. The sad thing is, the defense needs even more work.

The Jets controlled the ball for 40+ min and the Bills had the ball for19 min, that is pathetic.

The thing is... the Dolphins in that first game of the season came out run blitzing and spying Spiller to take him out of the game, and then to the Dolphins surprise they found they could easily run / pass blitz and the Bills protection schemes were so bad that they couldn't stop them in any aspect. The QB had around 2 seconds or less to get rid of the ball, the RB's were getting hit in the backfield as soon as they got the hand off and were tackled for a loss on almost every running play. Spiller was the feature back and had 7 attempts for 6 yards and the longest run was 6 years. That means the RB was successful only on ONE running play. The head coach made no adjustments, no changes, he just kept trying to run his offense and throw the ball out of the shotgun formation 75% of the offensive plays. Basically telling the opponent we are going to pass, try and stop us.

I know that the Dolphins game is simply that, one game, but that one game is a microcosm of what is wrong with this offense and head coach. I don't think this guy is purposely trying to lose games to get that first overall next year, although it sure looks that way to some. Go back to 2 years ago when he was the OC for the 2-14 KC Chiefs, the QB played pretty well when healthy and put up some decent stats considering how bad the offense was. That 08 KC offense played almost exactly the same way the Bills are currently playing. Like the Mike Martz passing offense it appears that Gailey's offense almost always has the QB in constant duress situations. Constantly trying to throw the ball like the Bills have Tom Brady back there behind the center.

Gailey did try and run the ball more against the Packers, which at the time didn't seem to bright a ploy because that very same Packer defense was #1 against the run the year before. The Bills had some success running the ball on one drive, but then failed to move the ball on the ground on a regular basis the rest of the game, which was putting the QB under duress and in constant long yardage situations, which then put him at the mercy of that Packer pass rush and more specifically Clay Mathews.

My take is this new head coach is no better then Turk Schonert or AVP in calling plays or setting up game plans, he wasn't even bright enough to see that Fred Jackson is by far the best RB on his team. Fred Jackson is so good a RB that he actually does make the O line look like its blocking better, even though the O line is actually blocking worse this season that last years. This HC is simply mentality retarded for not building the offensive game plan around the guy.

Bottom line: the Bills thought they were hiring an offensive guru who was supposed to make the offense better...he didn't, it isn't !! Last season the O line had the excuse of all those Injuries, This year this team is playing worse then the Jauron's teams riddled with injuries the last 3 seasons. Even with 20+ players out injured on Jaurons teams played better then this years team, that is sad.

The owner and FO keeps stating like a broken record that its the players that lack talent....he said it last year and now again this year, but who is doing the drafting? This same basic scouting dept has been there for 8 years and the same results, bad draft after bad draft. The talent is lacking on the sidelines (coaches) and in the front office (scouting dept) and an owner who remains president even after failing to get his team to the playoffs for a decade.

It's simple really. With a running back that slow how do you think we can ever compete? :lol:

Yards are a good indicator, but let's look at Points vs Time of Possession (rounded to nearest minute).

Game 1 (Dolphins): 10 points, 23 minutes with the ball (.43 points per minute of TOP)

Game 2 (Packers): 7 points, 29 minutes (.24 points per minute)

Game 3 (Pats*): 30 points, 28 minutes (1.07 points per minute)

Game 4 (Jets): 14 points, 20 minutes (.7 points per minute)

Game 5 (Jags): 26 points, 26 minutes (1 point per minute)

Yes you should consider the quality of opposing defense, the 1 KR TD, and the smattering of garbage-time points... But it is true that the offense is doing more with the time it has the ball, in recent weeks without Trent. The most pressing problem is that the defense is not getting stops, not getting the offense the ball. The Jags went the whole game without punting in week 5.

Yes you should consider the quality of opposing defense, the 1 KR TD, and the smattering of garbage-time points... But it is true that the offense is doing more with the time it has the ball, in recent weeks without Trent. The most pressing problem is that the defense is not getting stops, not getting the offense the ball. The Jags went the whole game without punting in week 5.

I agree with pretty much everything here. The defense just can't make a stop. We have a great secondary, but without a pass rush it is useless. And as for stopping the run, forget about it. We are a little bit better against the run when Davis is in there, but overall, that defense is just a mess and from the looks of it, completly unorganized. I didn't have a big issue with edwards (with him getting offered DC job in florida showed he had some decent ability) but I put a lot of this on him, and not just the talent. It looks very unorganized.

But as far as the offense goes, I agree with the posters that say we need to run the ball more. I know it is a passing league, but us failing to run the ball just shows we don't control the LOS. It is very interesting to me, because gailey is basically known for running the ball and throwing rarely.... so this looks very different than what I was expecting.

So you are saying that the offense with fitz is equal to or less then the of the offense of Trent. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Its like you never watched a bills game this season. Why are you in love with Trentard. He was afraid to throw the ball and just sucked period. FItz is like the opposite of Trent. He is a gamer that tries his best on ever play. Trent is a little kitty who cares more about himself then actually winning a game.

Well thank your lover trent for throwing barley throwing a 100 yards the first 2 games. That the reason why our average sucks.

You know what? When I read this I can't help but noticed that he only mentioned Trent Edwards when he listed which was playing what game. You turned it into a Trent apology in your own head. The offense plays bad against good defenses no matter who the QB is. I think you hate Trent so much that you are seeing ghosts of him in posts. You might want to seek professional help about that. :unsure: