Chan thinking of going to 4-3 defense?

Cereal

The comment on this week's ESPN Power Rankings states: "Chan Gailey is thinking of going back to a 4-3 defense -- five weeks too late. (Clayton)"

Now, I don't have the time to catch up on every little bit of news and rumors here, but is there any truth to this? Or it is just some stupid little comment? I didn't imagine that Chan would actually be considering giving up on the 3-4.

Thanks,

Cereal

The comment on this week's ESPN Power Rankings states: "Chan Gailey is thinking of going back to a 4-3 defense -- five weeks too late. (Clayton)"

Now, I don't have the time to catch up on every little bit of news and rumors here, but is there any truth to this? Or it is just some stupid little comment? I didn't imagine that Chan would actually be considering giving up on the 3-4.

Thanks,

Cereal

ESPN never scoops bb.com squawkbox when it comes to stuff like this.

Plus, they haven't been running the 3-4 anyways. Not exactly "news."

IMO, it's from comments made by Chan during the press conference. Chris Brown does a pretty good job explaining it here

As for whether the heavier 4-3 front will be used in the future, Gailey indicated it would largely depend on their opponent each week.

“I think we look at it game-by-game about what we’re facing,” he said. ”If we’re facing a heavy run team, we might be more that way. If we’re facing more of a play-action and more of a pass team, we might be back in our four linebacker schemes. I think it will just depend on the direction that each week takes us with the team that we’re facing.”

so, more like a combination of trying new things and whatever offense they're facing. Clayton is grasping at straws.

“ I think good coaches will coach with the personnel they have, and if you only have one (good) linebacker, you’re not going to play a 3-4. ”

—Hank Bullough, who installed one of the first 3-4 defenses with the New England Patriots.[8]

IMO, it's from comments made by Chan during the press conference. Chris Brown does a pretty good job explaining it here

so, more like a combination of trying new things and whatever offense they're facing. Clayton is grasping at straws.

Perfect, thanks!

“I think we look at it game-by-game about what we’re facing,” he said. ”If we’re facing a heavy run team, we might be more that way..." -Gailey

What team ISN'T a 'heavy run team' against us??

IMO, it's Imperative that we strengthen the middle of the D-Line, if we're ever gonna get off the field in 3 downs. We simply don't have the powerful MLB's needed to plug interior holes vs. the run yet.

Scheme is not the problem. They have very little talent. Who cares where they line up?

Perry Fewell laughs at this.

He was somehow able to use this "no talent" D to the effect that they only gave up 20 ppg. Whoever our DC is has "coached" the same crew to giving up 32 ppg---far and away the worst in the league.

Perry had Aaron Schobel. Take a mediocre defense, subtract the best pass rusher, and it's going to drop a step.

Honestly, the best thing for the defense is to be good enough to play both 4-3 and 3-4 depending on the situation - the Patriots did it in their best defensive days and the Ravens have done it before. It's tough from a talent perspective, and needs a real coach to run it, so I don't think we're there. But our current talent is so muddled between 4/3 and 3/4 I don't really care which one we choose, as long as we go with the goal to get good at it. Ideally, we could have Mike Singletary or John Fox running the defense next year.

Perry had Aaron Schobel. Take a mediocre defense, subtract the best pass rusher, and it's going to drop a step.

Honestly, the best thing for the defense is to be good enough to play both 4-3 and 3-4 depending on the situation - the Patriots did it in their best defensive days and the Ravens have done it before. It's tough from a talent perspective, and needs a real coach to run it, so I don't think we're there. But our current talent is so muddled between 4/3 and 3/4 I don't really care which one we choose, as long as we go with the goal to get good at it. Ideally, we could have Mike Singletary or John Fox running the defense next year.

Drop a step? They go from 20 ppg to 32 ppg given up becuase of the departure of one guy--and that guy is...Schobel? No way--not even if he was Reggie White or Bruce Smith.

The D coaches aren't NFL caliber. Bunch of nobodies. The results we see now could easily have been predicted in the offseason--new scheme without significant new players being run by coaches with little or no meaningful pro experience.

Nothing will change until a new staff is brought in. I agree with you that bringing in a real DC would make this suddenly "no talent" D play better.

To me it's a clear indication that the Bills FO and coaching staff clearly have their heads up their asses.

One of the first decisions that was made in the post season earlier this year was to move to the 3-4. OK, fine. Their decision was to convert the then currently 4-3 guys and bring in a few 3-4 guys. Going to the 3-4 and not even considering brining in a viable nose tackle is even clear evidence that the FO and coaching staff don't have a clue. I said it then, and, I'll say it again... Kyle Williams cannot and will not hold up at NT in this league. He would be a great back up in the 3-4, that's it. The heart and soul of a 3-4 is the NT. You ain't got one, it's gonna be a long season. They also knew Schobel wasn't coming back. They put too much faith in two low round draft picks... Batten and Moats, and way too much faith in Carrington and Troup. If the latter two are marginally worth a $chitt, why ain't they playing? Could it possibly be because they FO is afraid that they may have whiffed again on draft picks?

This defense already sucks so bad that anyone you play can't make this defense suck much worse. So... switching back to a 3-4 at this juncture, you will not see a significant difference. The front seven still sucks and there is not one player on this team that can rush the passer.

What would I do? This season is lost. Luck may win ya two games. I'd stick with the 3-4. Let the young guys get experience now. You're gonna have to evaluate whether or not they can play at the end of the season anyway. At least you'd have plenty of video footage. The old dawgs ain't gonna be part of this team next year anyway. Get rid of Stroud (waste of $4-5m) and put in Carrington and let Kelsay spell him ($6m for a backup... that was stupid). Start Troup at NT and let Williams spell him on passing downs. Put either Moats or Coleman at OLB. Get rid of Maybin (cut your losses and move on). Move Posluzney to the other OLB position and replace him on the inside with Torbor.

I know, I get it, this lineup will suck.... But, so will the current lineup regardless of the 3-4 or 4-3. We're no longer playing for this year... this season is over. We are playing for next season and beyond.

They come to this conclusion after cutting Chris Ellis?

Yeah cause he was such a vaunted player.....

Perry Fewell laughs at this.

He was somehow able to use this "no talent" D to the effect that they only gave up 20 ppg. Whoever our DC is has "coached" the same crew to giving up 32 ppg---far and away the worst in the league.

Ding,ding,ding!!!

How come this is being over looked?? Fewell should have been retained, run the base 4-3 the Titans do and call it a day. Simple and effective.

This season has proven to me that, as I suspected, there is very little difference between the 3-4 and the 4-3. You got 7 hulking men either rushing the quarterback or dropping into coverage, trying to tackle people. How they line up is pretty inconsequential. We run the 3-4 (I guess), but most of the time it looks like a 5-2. I love how football know-it-alls try to pretend like there is such a huge difference like they're converting from playing rugby to playing tennis or something. It's all the same. I like the idea of getting Williams and Troup on the field at the same time though.