Father/Son team launch capsule 19 miles into space!

DrDawkinstein

Pretty cool "project" for a young boy and his dad.

Article Here

Wonder if the authorities will be contacting them for any violations? Can people just do this? (I have no problem with it, but could see how the Government and even FAA, might)

People have been doing this for several years. There are a lot of websites dedicated to how to do it.

Somebody by me just launched a "hot air balloon" type thingy this past weekend... Looked like a plastic bag with an open flame in it... Boy did it take off... I was wondering if it would crash and set somebody's house on fire? It took off and flew east in what it appeared to be many miles... I wonder where it ended up??

People have been doing this for several years. There are a lot of websites dedicated to how to do it.

I'm aware that people send up balloons all the time. But this one was serious.

Somebody by me just launched a "hot air balloon" type thingy this past weekend... Looked like a plastic bag with an open flame in it... Boy did it take off... I was wondering if it would crash and set somebody's house on fire? It took off and flew east in what it appeared to be many miles... I wonder where it ended up??

the old dry-cleaning bag, teak cross frame on the bottom, and candle in the middle. very easy to do, and very dangerous for exactly why you said. Candle ends up in a tree, or on someone's roof. The chances of it starting a fire before getting blown out are slim, but it's still pretty irresponsible to send an open flame up into the air with no control of where it goes.

I'm aware that people send up balloons all the time. But this one was serious.

There are youtube videos and websites dedicated to the high atmosphere amateur balloons. People do it a lot. It's cool every time and every one is serious and takes a fair amount of work.

Pretty cool "project" for a young boy and his dad.

Article Here

Wonder if the authorities will be contacting them for any violations? Can people just do this? (I have no problem with it, but could see how the Government and even FAA, might)

You've got to get FAA clearance for a flight that high, and rocket engines that powerful are also regulated (I forget by who, maybe the FAA as well).

But it's not all that difficult to get the appropriate permissions, either.

You've got to get FAA clearance for a flight that high, and rocket engines that powerful are also regulated (I forget by who, maybe the FAA as well).

You only need FAA permission if the balloon:

(i) Carries a payload package that weighs more than four pounds and has a weight/size ratio of more than three ounces per square inch on any surface of the package, determined by dividing the total weight in ounces of the payload package by the area in square inches of its smallest surface;

(ii) Carries a payload package that weighs more than six pounds;

(iii) Carries a payload, of two or more packages, that weighs more than 12 pounds; or

(iv) Uses a rope or other device for suspension of the payload that requires an impact force of more than 50 pounds to separate the suspended payload from the balloon.

For the usual high atmosphere balloon flights, the payload weighs almost nothing: just a GPS transmitter (for retrieval), a camera (for cool photos), and batteries.

Here are the guys I looked to when I considered doing this a few years ago:

http://www.natrium42.com/halo/flight2/

Edited by Peace

But it's not all that difficult to get the appropriate permissions, either.

Who said anything about rockets? It was a balloon.

I do believe they violated one or more FARs though.

§ 101.33 Operating limitations.

No person may operate an unmanned free balloon—

(a) Unless otherwise authorized by ATC, below 2,000 feet above the surface within the lateral boundaries of the surface areas of Class B, Class C, Class D, or Class E airspace designated for an airport;

(b) At any altitude where there are clouds or obscuring phenomena of more than five-tenths coverage;

That was way under visibility minimums

Edited by Jim in Anchorage