Why is our D so bad? Its the system!!

No, not only the 34, but in general all of george edwards system. No Blitz, safeties playing too deep... How come with fewell we were at least a respectable defense, with essentailly the same group? Lets get a REAL dc, and you'll see the difference. Cmon Ralph! At least try!

Dont worry, Bill Cower his going to become the coach of the Buffalo Bills after the lockout season next year. Chan will be oc and Cower will find a new DC. Then Cower will fire Modrak and Nix will take his place. Nix will be demoted so Cower can have more power like he asked for. Then Cower and his awesomeness will turn this team around.

We barely run the 34 at all. We are in a 40 front 80% of the time if not more. I didnt see every play cause I lost my internet feed a few times but we were in a 30 front 0% of the plays I did see this Sunday. I saw at least 3/4s of the game.

We barely run the 34 at all. We are in a 40 front 80% of the time if not more. I didnt see every play cause I lost my internet feed a few times but we were in a 30 front 0% of the plays I did see this Sunday. I saw at least 3/4s of the game.

Im not saying the 34 is the problem, im saying its the system George Edwards is implying on our guys. Its clearly not effective, and George Edwards needs to go.

It is mystifying, we essentially have the same group (with supposed ungrades at Linebacker? Remember Ellison, Contro, Mitch., etc.). And for the most part, we are still playing four down lineman (so not really a 3-4 problem). So what is it, we were not good the last few years, but certainly respectible? I'm starting to lean towards coaching, something is obviously not working.

Respectfully disagree. It's about the players. Scheme has very little to do with it at this point. We've shown we don't have a 4-3 defense OR a 3-4 defense. We don't blitz much because the coaches aren't confident in our ability to get to the QB even WITH a numbers advantage because our secondary is asked to cover guys for the 4 and 5 seconds the QB has to find an open guy. It's a huge task to ask even the most talented sedondary to cover anyone that long even on the best defenses.

We have LBs that can't cover, especially our outside guys. Teams have been exploiting that.

When you have good players at key mixed with a couple great players, you can more readily adapt a scheme to their strengths. We don't have the players in our front seven and even our talented secondary will get exposed.

All that said, the Bills will continue to build through the draft with players they CAN build a scheme around. And that will start with a QB on offense. And the best front seven player available. Preferably a DE or LB that will command a double team now and then. Right now, teams don't have to spend resources trying to stop our guys and thus have an advantage.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

The system isn't "the" problem as much as the talent. We don't have much in the way of a defensive line in either system and we are darn near out of linebackers. The cupboard is all but bare when it comes to run stopping or pass rushing. What had been a pretty good well coached defense with a first rate coach but beset by injuries and a dysfunctional offense is now simply a defense without talent, without effective coaching and without a real defensive system. Not a recipe for success.

No, not only the 34, but in general all of george edwards system. No Blitz, safeties playing too deep... How come with fewell we were at least a respectable defense, with essentailly the same group? Lets get a REAL dc, and you'll see the difference. Cmon Ralph! At least try!

Dude, when you have no pass rush the safties play deep, its by design.

It is mostly about players but somehow Fewell was able to take this group of players and make it work a heck of a lot better. Plus, he obviously could make the logical conclusion that CK is not an OLB and has no business trying to cover the better TEs in the league.

Not only does this group think he can, they are paying him top OLB money to do so!

If you looked at the tapes from last year you would say the D was pretty good and could be very good by going out and getting a tough big DT and one good OLB.

This regime did nothing of the sort and also for whatever reason thinks K Williams is a NT and that the front four can generate some type of pass rush.....it can't, it has not and it will not. So you better start bringing 5-6 players and ask your CBs who are good to cover 1:1 because that is what is going to need to happen

THats not even close to accurate. They were playing a 3-4 for a good amount of the snaps. the 40 front you thought you saw was an extra DL in place of an OLB giving a 40 look. They still had the same gap responsibilities etc as they would in a 3-4. Read the postgame comments and youll see why this is true.

Identifying a defense cant be made by simply looking at number of DL and guys with hands down.

It is mostly about players but somehow Fewell was able to take this group of players and make it work a heck of a lot better. Plus, he obviously could make the logical conclusion that CK is not an OLB and has no business trying to cover the better TEs in the league.

Not only does this group think he can, they are paying him top OLB money to do so!

If you looked at the tapes from last year you would say the D was pretty good and could be very good by going out and getting a tough big DT and one good OLB.

This regime did nothing of the sort and also for whatever reason thinks K Williams is a NT and that the front four can generate some type of pass rush.....it can't, it has not and it will not. So you better start bringing 5-6 players and ask your CBs who are good to cover 1:1 because that is what is going to need to happen

But Fewell, as good as he was, didn't do it with "this group of players" He had Schobel, who was an excellent defensive end, and a group of actual linebackers who knew how to play linebacker. He had a weak defensive line with the exception of Schobel and the guys who remain are playing unfamiliar positions. We've got the wrong system with the wrong players coached by the wrong person. I can't think a better recipe for an 0-16 season.

Edwards makes letting Perry Fewell look like a major mistake...