Rebuilding done correctly

Nitro

Buddy and Chan needed to make sure Ralph's bean counters had no personnel say but think they still meddle in the on field affairs. Here is what they should have done: be honest with the fans. Tell us that this is a scorched earth rebuilding year. Give us a 3 year rebuilding plan. We wouldb uy it. The last play off team was taken apart because Butler went way over the salary cap in a "Hail Mary" gamble at the Super Bowl.

This off season jettison the vet talent that would garner some draft picks prior to the draft that don't fit those our schemes. Sign a few quality Vets that will fill holes. No Super stars. Post draft cut loose the guys that don't fit your scheme. Draft best player on the baord...not what you need. This team has above average talent. Too many guys who don't or can't make a difference.

Draft is the basis for sucess. Spiller was a luxury. He is an exceptional talent but we could have used O line help. Looking to the future you will need 3 key items: QB, LT and a Pass Rush DE. The defense has a lack of speed at OLB. That has to be addressed too. The QB class is deep, LT there are several studs out there.

I look forward to April. What say you?

Nitro: I think your post is a well-reasoned one. I agree at this point this season has been reduced to a rebuilding/evaluation year (would have thought Gailey could have used old game film for talent evaluation purposes, but guess he had to see it for himself).

At this point, I want to see the young guys get all the action as they are the future. I'll probably be excited again by next April, but ain't feeling it right now for sure.

We're supposedly going to rebuild through the draft, but historically we have a poor drafting record (granted, there are new men in charge).

My question is, given this approach plus having plucked Nix out of the college scouting dept., have the Bills beefed up the college scouting department, let alone replaced Nix? If your whole plan calls for great drafting, shouldn't a key element of the plan involve bolstering your scouting resources?

Edited by BillnutinHouston

We're supposedly going to rebuild through the draft, but historically we have a poor drafting record (granted, there are new men in charge).

My question is, given this approach plus having plucked Nix out of the college scouting dept., have the Bills beefed up the college scouting department, let alone replaced Nix? If your whole plan calls for great drafting, shouldn't a key element of the plan involve improving your reconnaissance?

They hired Moody to replace Nix, who was in a position they made up a year ago before he bounced to GM.

Edited by Sisyphean Bills

I dont think even Bill Polian could make this team win the super bowl before Ralph dies.

Polian had a hand in the 85 draft, then built the team through 3 more drafts (with help from ex-USFL'ers) before they went to the AFC Championship in 88. In 2010, team's have help in free agency and frequently build in 1-2 years.

I don't think this rebuild will last less than 3 more off-seasons. Even if RW remains owner, the stadium lease expires after the 2012 season.

Edited by BillsVet

Spiller was a luxury. He is an exceptional talent but we could have used O line help.

I still like the Spiller pick but change "OL" to "LB" and I might agree. Today had me almost convinced that spending our 1st two draft picks on stud linebackers, would do more for this team than a QB would.

But yeah an offensive tackle, even a right tackle, would have paid dividends as well.

Draft best player on the baord...not what you need.

Draft is the basis for sucess. Spiller was a luxury. He is an exceptional talent but we could have used O line help. Looking to the future you will need 3 key items: QB, LT and a Pass Rush DE. The defense has a lack of speed at OLB. That has to be addressed too. The QB class is deep, LT there are several studs out there.

I don't understand. Draft best player and ignore needs, or draft needs and ignore best player.

Buddy and Chan needed to make sure Ralph's bean counters had no personnel say but think they still meddle in the on field affairs. Here is what they should have done: be honest with the fans. Tell us that this is a scorched earth rebuilding year. Give us a 3 year rebuilding plan. We wouldb uy it. The last play off team was taken apart because Butler went way over the salary cap in a "Hail Mary" gamble at the Super Bowl.

This off season jettison the vet talent that would garner some draft picks prior to the draft that don't fit those our schemes. Sign a few quality Vets that will fill holes. No Super stars. Post draft cut loose the guys that don't fit your scheme. Draft best player on the baord...not what you need. This team has above average talent. Too many guys who don't or can't make a difference.

I look forward to April. What say you?

Unfortunately, these are also three of the four key positions of any NFL team. In general.

These have come to be known, for the lack of a better or the correct term, cornerstone positions. You can have

average talent basically everywhere else, but if you have these three plus a lock-down/leave on an island type DB, you

can build around them:

There are always exceptions, and other ways to do it, but from what I have come to understand if you DON'T have

these bases covered well, you're going to have to rely on a super unit somewhere on the field, or some other way to

generate mismatches to get wins.

:unsure:

I still like the Spiller pick but change "OL" to "LB" and I might agree. Today had me almost convinced that spending our 1st two draft picks on stud linebackers, would do more for this team than a QB would.

But yeah an offensive tackle, even a right tackle, would have paid dividends as well.

In '87, Polian already had Talley and Smith on the roster, and then used the 8th pick in the draft on Conlan. He then traded for Bennett, who was drafted 2nd overall by Indy and was holding out.

So Polian used two top 10 picks in the same draft to rebuild the Bills linebacking corps. Oh, and he drafted Thurman Thomas in '88, in the 2nd round.

im in college and the bills havent been to the playoffs since i was in 1st grade atleast you guys could see the good teams.

I had season tickets during the good years, and I can tell you that it was awesome. I can't believe it was 20 years ago.

What draft picks give anyone any confidence that Nix knows what he is doing? On a team with very little talent just one of this year's picks plays, and then only sparingly. If Nix is this brilliant football guy, how come he didn't get a GM job until he hit 70? Why did no other team try to hire Gailey as head coach since he was bounced from the Cowboys (and if he's an offensive genius, why did the Chiefs fire his rear end last year just before the regular season started)? Rebuilding done correctly starts with getting a front office that has a clue. There is no evidence that Modrak can find his rear end with two hands and a flashlight let alone a good football player. The only way Buffalo will see a winning football team again ever is if Ralph or his estate sells the team to someone who keeps the team in Buffalo. Otherwise it just won't happen under this ownership or front office.

What draft picks give anyone any confidence that Nix knows what he is doing? On a team with very little talent just one of this year's picks plays, and then only sparingly. If Nix is this brilliant football guy, how come he didn't get a GM job until he hit 70? Why did no other team try to hire Gailey as head coach since he was bounced from the Cowboys (and if he's an offensive genius, why did the Chiefs fire his rear end last year just before the regular season started)? Rebuilding done correctly starts with getting a front office that has a clue. There is no evidence that Modrak can find his rear end with two hands and a flashlight let alone a good football player. The only way Buffalo will see a winning football team again ever is if Ralph or his estate sells the team to someone who keeps the team in Buffalo. Otherwise it just won't happen under this ownership or front office.

+1