Well Sully is dead on this week.

DarthICE

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at Nix's poor off-season moves. And his lousy first draft. He's a scout pretending to be a GM. We're supposed to be improving, not getting worse right? This is not going to end well folks.

5 weeks into the season and the draft is already a bust? Gotcha. :rolleyes: "DING" I believe your Hot Pocket is finally ready.

PTR

To me this article does not say much about Nix's abilities one way or another. It does however confirm he has joined the long succession of Bills GM's who seem indifferent to the cries for access from whiny douches that report for the Buffalo News.

Like it or not, the Bills are who they are because the mass public is interested in them. It is absolutely a responsibility for the team's management to engage with the public via the media. There ain't any other way, unless you think propaganda outlets like buffalobills.com count.

He is right that the fans deserve some accountability. Given the amount of taxpayer money (to say nothing of mostly blue collar folks' hard-earned paychecks) that helps prop up this horrid product, fans are correct to demand some sort of explanation for what is going on. It's really not asking too much. If this were a public company with actual shareholders to report to (as well as bankers/lenders), you'd better believe that its executives would be taken to task on a weekly (if not daily) basis for what has been going on.

+1

Like it or not, the Bills are who they are because the mass public is interested in them. It is absolutely a responsibility for the team's management to engage with the public via the media. There ain't any other way, unless you think propaganda outlets like buffalobills.com count.

+1

show me a team that does what youre proposing.

Only the packers have a responsibility and thats bc they have shareholders.

Otherwise its just another bogus "accountability" argument that belongs on talk radio.

Otherwise its just another bogus "accountability" argument that belongs on talk radio.

Nah. The Bills are the business of winning. Winning for whom? Ralph? Nix? The Players? The coaches? NO. They are in the business of winning for the city and for the fans everywhere. In that sense, they're a public good. Their fans aren't numerous enough, and their track record not clean enough to not stand up and take their shots. Without the fans, the team goes breasts up. When they're not practicing, playing, or training, they should be in the throes of fan-relations.

What Sullivan fails to mention is that most teams GMs are pretty quiet towards the media during the season...plain and simple. Right or wrong Sullivan's writing style becomes more frustrating to read everyday, he's a know-it-all who's knows jack. If his job is to bother people, he's suceeding.

Nah. The Bills are the business of winning. Winning for whom? Ralph? Nix? The Players? The coaches? NO. They are in the business of winning for the city and for the fans everywhere. In that sense, they're a public good. Their fans aren't numerous enough, and their track record not clean enough to not stand up and take their shots. Without the fans, the team goes breasts up. When they're not practicing, playing, or training, they should be in the throes of fan-relations.

Yes they are, and theyre supported by the fans $$, although not mostly by bills fans' $$, its mostly tv money.

But to say that because they are supported by the fans who buy their goods means that they are to be held "accountable" for every decision and need to have a press conference to explain all roster moves is absurd.

Pro sports teams arent run that way.

Yes they are, and theyre supported by the fans $$, although not mostly by bills fans' $$, its mostly tv money.

But to say that because they are supported by the fans who buy their goods means that they are to be held "accountable" for every decision and need to have a press conference to explain all roster moves is absurd.

Pro sports teams arent run that way.

I'm not talking about accountablity, I share your opinion there. Sports franchises are NOT republic democracies. BUT, they PR is a premium. And even in our republic democracy, politicians pull BS PR stunts like "backyard tours" etc. It wouldn't hurt the franchise to engage the fans. I don't expect them to alter their day-to-day business because of what ornery fans shout at town hall meetings, and anyone who does expect that kind of response is fooling themselves, but standing there and taking it, or at the very least coming out and just simply addressing the fans concerns might go a long ways in keeping those cold buns in the RWS seats.

Ask and ye shall receive. After a quick search:

http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=video&content=1ff07588-73ce-45ef-a131-6e7c3d6b00f6

http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Second-Round-Press-Conference-with-Rams-Head-Coach-Steve-Spagnuolo-and-GM-Billy-Devaney/A2794733-5125-4472-83CF-9BC08F984A99

Not a press conference per se, but ... http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2010/9/30/1722692/kansas-city-chiefs-gm-scott-pioli-talks-about-scouting-tony-moeaki

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-1004-bears-brite-1--20101003,0,1301253.story

Par for the course from OBD: remain silent as the ship sinks. Kinda like Brandon last season, who IIRC, spoke once after the Cleveland debacle. They go into shell mode when things are bad and expect it to go away like a a rain storm.

It's ironic to see some homers here protecting OBD and attacking Sully. But it's not Sully anymore seriously questioning the direction of the franchise. It's Pat Kirwan, Jay Glazer, Adam Schefter, and a host of others who look at the club and either won't say anything or openly doubt them as well.

When league insiders can't say anything it's so bad, that tells me there's a lot going on that isn't good.

I don't think it's an accountability issue, it's just a bad business decision. Obviously fans are losing interest very early in the season, so explaining the moves and exactly what direction he's trying to take the team in, the players that we are trying to develop, the identity he's trying to establish for the future, etc, etc. might give some fans a reason to watch/come out to the games even if they realize that this is a lost season. If all people see is the terrible product and no hope for the future they're just gonna stop watching altogether before the halfway point of the season and that can't be good for business.

I don't think it's an accountability issue, it's just a bad business decision. Obviously fans are losing interest very early in the season, so explaining the moves and exactly what direction he's trying to take the team in, the players that we are trying to develop, the identity he's trying to establish for the future, etc, etc. might give some fans a reason to watch/come out to the games even if they realize that this is a lost season. If all people see is the terrible product and no hope for the future they're just gonna stop watching altogether before the halfway point of the season and that can't be good for business.

this.

Yes, saying something along those lines would make sense but thats not whats being called for on this board.

bad taste. wonder what your response would be if someone wrote something similar about wilson.

I thought the little devil indicated my tongue was firmly in cheek. But I was serious that the first words that grabbed my eye were "Sully is dead."

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I could have sworn you wrote "Sully is dead". Wishful thinking. :devil:

PTR

+1

I got real excited when I read "Well Sully is dead"

Don't tease me like that.

I'll go with the whiny douche theory on that one.

+1 He may be too old to be a douche though.

I think whiny Old fart is probably more accurate, according to my sources. My sources are me and my opinion, which are similar to Sully's sources except his sources are him and my sources are me. :nana: