Andra Davis has a torn labrum

ajm

Tore it in week one, toughed it out until it finally got to him.

per WGR550

"It is what it is. I'm going to battle it the rest of the season," said the Bills inside linebacker.

"Suck it up, deal with the pain, and let's do it."

I'm man enough to say it: I <3 Andra Davis.

In baseball that's a season-ender or worse. I'm curious what it means for a football player. Davis is one of the guys I like in this defense. It's a big blow to lose him at all.

It depends on the severity. I have a partially torn labrum and rotator cuff and haven't gotten surgery for over a few years. It bothers me after throwing for a while and if I get hit playing basketball. I'm imagining his is much more severe on top of the fact he plays in the NFL. For a linebacker it might hurt trying to raise his arm for a pick or making a tackle, but I think he could play through it. Obviously a QB would be out, but a WR and RB would take a hit as well. LB is probably the position you could get away with it easiest

I tore my labrum and rotator cuff sliding into second base during my junior year in HS.....lesson learned: don't try to slide like Pete Rose when you weigh 220 lbs. I wasn't able to throw again until I had surgery, but I could still swing a bat. I ended up putting the surgery off until the next winter so I wouldn't miss any time during football season.

The bad part was my shoulder dislocated no less than 6 times during the football season, and it has never been the same since. I remember the Doc told me that in regards to athletics, the tear of my labrum was more damaging than then tear of my rotator cuff, especially in regards to stabilization. Even after the surgery I continued to have problems, but I was able to play one year of football in college without many problems. I did have to invest in a top of the line shoulder stabilizer, but it really didn't limit me much, and I have seen Ray Lewis play with the same one so it can be done in the NFL.

Edited by DaBills51

Tore it in week one, toughed it out until it finally got to him.

per WGR550

I'm man enough to say it: I <3 Andra Davis.

I think he might have hurt his shoulder getting in/out of his blue pickemup truck which is like this one

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/0505dp_international_cxt_4x4_pickup_truck/photo_01.html

I saw the word "season" and immediately assumed it was "out for the season" rather than "I'm going to fight through it all season". Good for him

more players like him and we have a chance of turning this around in a few years

I tore my labrum and rotator cuff sliding into second base during my junior year in HS.....lesson learned: don't try to slide like Pete Rose when you weigh 220 lbs. I wasn't able to throw again until I had surgery, but I could still swing a bat. I ended up putting the surgery off until the next winter so I wouldn't miss any time during football season.

The bad part was my shoulder dislocated no less than 6 times during the football season, and it has never been the same since. I remember the Doc told me that in regards to athletics, the tear of my labrum was more damaging than then tear of my rotator cuff, especially in regards to stabilization. Even after the surgery I continued to have problems, but I was able to play one year of football in college without many problems. I did have to invest in a top of the line shoulder stabilizer, but it really didn't limit me much, and I have seen Ray Lewis play with the same one so it can be done in the NFL.

Good info...thanks for sharing.

I know I am probably in a minority hear, but I believe that almost everyone of these guys (NFL players) earn every penny they get paid. What I mean by that is, the abuse they put their bodies. While some of put our bodies through varying degrees of it via HS and college sports (or just backy yard, town league, and college intramurals like me), these guys in the NFL take a huge physical toll that affects almost everyone of them in some way for the rest od their lives.