Stop with the Maybin talk

Got_Wood

To me the issue of will Maybin eventually be good given the time to develop or not is secondary to the big WTF of why was he even picked at all. It should have been obvious to anyone, even someone who wasn't a scout, that he was a project pick for the NFL just based on his age and size alone.

The problem is that the Bills could not afford to waste such a high pick on someone who might be good someday. The team doesn't have that luxury because they need immediate impact players now. Not sure who was responsible ultimately for this pick but whoever is was has to be the worst personnel evaluator in the entire NFL.

I know, and it's really frustrating. I think a lot of people had us taking Pettigrew at that spot, and I wouldn't have argued with that pick. And the rumor is that Modrak wanted Brian Cushing over Maybin. Either way we would have been better off. So WTF happened???

I know, and it's really frustrating. I think a lot of people had us taking Pettigrew at that spot, and I wouldn't have argued with that pick. And the rumor is that Modrak wanted Brian Cushing over Maybin. Either way we would have been better off. So WTF happened???

Modrak wanted Cushing and Nix was on record as having wanted Orakpo. Of all the guys mentioned as possibly going to the Bills at that spot, the only one I absolutely did not want is Maybin. But we're stuck with him, for the moment.

Wishin', hopin', prayin' that he may one day pan out. Another unicorn in the stable when what we need are horses.

Hopefully someday someone writes a "tell-all" book about the inner workings at OBD over the last 10 years or so. I would love to know all the details behind all the head scratching decisions during that time.

He is so young for an NFL player that his body has not yet gotten up to speed, physically. It's the only reason I'm holding out hope, at this point. His maturity is an issue, however, and I'm not thinking so much about off the field stuff. His propensity to ignore his responsibilities in the run game and pass coverage and not properly read the QB is something that may improve over time but it's also possible he's just not capable of it. It's not unlike a QB that cannot read defenses.

Considering the need to be patient with so many other facets of this team, Maybin has the time to prove one way or another if he can grow into an NFL player.

His being so young is part of the reason they should not have drafted him # 11. If ever he grows up it will probably be just before his rich rookie contract expires. Then he can sign a megadeal and go play for the Jets. I guess we wind up with a third for that.

His being so young is part of the reason they should not have drafted him # 11. If ever he grows up it will probably be just before his rich rookie contract expires. Then he can sign a megadeal and go play for the Jets. I guess we wind up with a third for that.

Of course. I didn't want him either, but he's here now. If this rebuilding process takes more than a year the Bills would be wise to at least be patient with him. We can't just trade away or unceremoniously dump our 1st round picks :blink:

Maybin has been, by all accounts, invisible thus far on the Buffalo Bills. But I think a lot of people (scouts, coaches) knew this was the case when he entered the draft. I question why we would have made this pick in the draft since we had supposedly already gone through rebuilding with Jauron and Levy. But that is in the past and we can't change it.

The only thing that can be changed with the Maybin situation is cutting his skinny ass. The Bills are too embarassed to do that so he'll continue to produce nothing.

Edited by Beerball

To me the issue of will Maybin eventually be good given the time to develop or not is secondary to the big WTF of why was he even picked at all. It should have been obvious to anyone, even someone who wasn't a scout, that he was a project pick for the NFL just based on his age and size alone.

The problem is that the Bills could not afford to waste such a high pick on someone who might be good someday. The team doesn't have that luxury because they need immediate impact players now. Not sure who was responsible ultimately for this pick but whoever is was has to be the worst personnel evaluator in the entire NFL.

Not to worry the Bills are going to fix things in the off season when they sign Vernon Gholston who's likely going to be cut by the Jets.