Don't Draft a QB!!!

Nothing else should matter for the bills right now except building a offensive line. One step at a time. the better u run the ball the better your qb and wrs will be. Then focus on d

The Bills need a QB, o-lineman, d-lineman, at least 3 linebackers, a wide out, and a safety. The Bills need to find a franchise QB and they haven't been able to do that the last several years going 7-9. Because our record will be worthy of a top 3 pick most likely we must gamble and yes drafting is a major crapshoot on a QB who will stick around for the next 10 seasons. After they select a QB, and they will select a QB, then they should load up on picking the best lineman they can find on both sides of the ball. The other positions cannot take priority over the QB and lineman. I am tired of poor QB play and I am tired of losing the war inside the trenches and just getting pushed around.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, some of ya'll really need to watch some more football.

It is no mystery that year after year, the teams with the elite-level NFL quarterbacks are the teams that consistently make the playoffs. Year after year after year.

Fact: It is very hard to land a franchise quarterback.

Fact: It is even harder to land a franchise quarterback from a source OTHER than the draft.

You absolutely must use any and all opportunities to draft a franchise quarterback with the hope of developing an elite-level NFL quarterback.

Without that, all you can hope for is a fleeting one year miracle run, while the teams with the elite quarterbacks make the playoffs every single year.

Is drafting a quarterback #1 a guarantee that you'll get an elite-level NFL quarterback for the next decade? Absolutely not.

But you DEFINITELY do not draft an elite-level NFL quarterback if you pick some fat lineman.

Quarterback is the single most important position in any organized team sport. They are the face of your franchise. They lend credibility and hope to a floundering organization. Hope breeds relevance which breeds respect and success.

Not drafting a quarterback #1 because you are scared he might be a bust is simply giving in to the hopelessness you feel about this franchise. You feel that the organization isn't capable of accurately evaluating talent and bringing in the right guy. Heck, you are probably right.

But you can't just ignore the most important position in sports. You can't. You can't spout this "you have to fix the offensive line or else NO quarterback can succeed!" bullcrap. Good quarterbacks do succeed behind bad offensive lines. It happens ALL OF THE TIME. The Bears went 3-0 and are now 3-1 with arguable a worse line than the Bills. The Packers had a very successful season last year with the elite-level QB play of Aaron Rodgers behind a terrible line.

Quarterback is more important than offensive line.

Your franchise's best player needs to be your quarterback, not a 300-pounder, if you want lasting success.

Don't fool yourself. Look at the elite teams in the NFL now and see what they have in common.

Please. Don't let the Bills pass on a chance at landing an elite-level NFL quarterback. Take the chance, or you have no chance.

They would still need a QB....... and the bills would still be the laughingstock.... With the #2 pikc in the NFL draft the Bills trade the pick to so and so for 2 OL .

Quick tell me what team is going to trade 2 franchise caliber OL for a #2 pick? because you better be getting franchise players for that high of a pick.

This would involve several teams and selections.

If the right QB is there AND THE BILLS ARE CONFIDENT that Brohn and Fitzpatrick are not the guys then GO GET HIM!

Fact: It is even harder to land a franchise quarterback from a source OTHER than the draft.

You're absolutely right--- it is beyond unbelievable that the Saints acquired a QB like Drew Brees via free agency. The odds had to be 1/1,000,000,000.

If the Bills do not target the best available QB in this upcoming draft I'll be despondent.

(for the record, this is NOT sarcasm)

Fair enough...But at this time last year there were plenty of Scouts and Folks right here who said Sam Bradford was not tough enough to play a single Down in the NFL...There were all kinds of Folks saying they would not Draft him and I had serious doubts about his toughness myself...I was wrong, and so were they...It's early in the process...Sit back, relax, and let it all play out...One of these Kids could be the next Jim Kelly for this Franchise if given the opportunity...To say the Bills should not Draft a QB in the 1st Round at this point, given what they have on this Roster, is premature at the very least... B-)

Lets face it, its a crap shoot. I want a tough QB but thats my preference.

I want a superrior leader,yet he has to have wheels, thats it for me!

Ut, oh, BBF, you are about to get pounded on by nearly everone on this board.

These guys made up their minds in August, we need that franchise Quarterback and they believe the new kid will fix everything.

I haven't given up on Fitz, Brohm OR Brown and I am NOT buckling to pear pressure either.

If we draft another QB this crowd will turn on this guy after the first game.

Some day, yes SOME DAY, people will realize that without an Offensive line, NO quarterback will survive.

Good luck with your thread, you're going to need it! :bag:

this guy knows.

A+

This would involve several teams and selections.

If the right QB is there AND THE BILLS ARE CONFIDENT that Brohn and Fitzpatrick are not the guys then GO GET HIM!

Exactly, and yes it would.

Obviously if they select a QB they are confident in their pick. No pick is a guarantee unfortunately. But some people are underestimating how difficult it is to get a top QB.

Most top QBs are drafted in the first round wiht some being in 2 and 3.

People that don't recognize that a QB is the most important position on the team, BY FAR, are just not very knowledgeable about today's NFL.

The fact is that if you already have a good line, you probably won't go 0-16 and get a chance at a top QB. So you have to take your shot on a QB when you can, and then build around him.

No one thinks drafting Sam Bradford will turn the team around on day one, but it will give them a chance for the future. If you stay with Fitzpatrick/Brohm, you have absolutely no hope to ever go to a Super Bowl - the most you could ever hope for is a playoff run.

Well said.

Also please do not forget that it is a MILLION times easier to upgrade your offensive line in free agency than it is to upgrade your quarterback.

And, you can actually start to land some non-Cornell Green free agents once you have a decent quarterback. Good lineman will not come to your team to protect Ryan Fitzpatrick.

You also need a respected, proven NFL-caliber head coach, but now we're starting to wish for too much.

First of all, I am new to this Board. I grew up in Buffalo, attended many Bills games and have been a fan ever since the 2-14 Hank Bullough days. I do not hold myself out as an expert on football strategy, defensive schemes, offense, etc. I am just a basic fan who wants my son to experience the thrill of a successful team as I did in the 90's.

I took my 13 yr old to his first Bills game on Sunday and we experienced the excitement of tailgating in Lot 1 at 9am, cooking, talking with fellow fans and watching the warmups. Needless to say the final outcome was a disappointment. As we drove home (5 hours)we discussed the team and listened to WGR55. The Bulldog insisted that we draft a quarterback with the first pick and he proceeded to extoll the virtues of Luck vs Jake Locker (sp?) and why Carolina and Detroit would not draft a QB, etc.

I disagree with this radio personality and others who suggest drafting a quarterback is the answer with a high draft pick. My suggestion is the following:

1) If you love something, set it free...especially if you get something good in return. Namely, Lee Evans. Give him the benefit of a quarterback who is well protected and has other receivers so that Lee is not double covered or matched up with top DB. You will clear alot of room in salary cap and obtain (hopefully a high second round pick).

2) Marshawn: Trade for second round pick. Flat out. Clear salary cap room and get a second round pick.

3) Take your two second round picks and trade them to a team for their first round pick. Depending on the number of quality guards and tackles...take two big beefy offennsive lineman in the first round.

4) Take the salary money you saved with Lee and Marshawn and get a third monstrous offensive lineman in free agency.

5) Keep Fitzpatrick and Brohm for anaother year and they will produce if given time in the pocket. I see good things with Johnson and Nelson. Roscoe will adapt and you can always get another big receiver either in Free Agency or second round of draft (because you traded your other second round picks which were given for Evans and Lynch - still retain our original second round pick).

I know this is a rambling mess, but drafting a QB in the first round only to be pounded on repeatedly (like Trent was pounded in Arizona) may cause a young guy more problems. They screwed up this year's draft (I do like Spiller) when we needed to build from the bottom up...that starts with the O-line.

I remember going to Rich Stadium when the seats were half full...watching Vince Ferragamo and others take a stab at winning. I want to see the likes of Kent Hull, Ballard, Wolford, Ritcher, etc forming a pocket in the near future. After that is formed...pick your young quarterback and let him have some fun (instead of having to be the leading rusher on scrambles like it was yesterday).

for the most part i agree with your plan, but want to make the following notes:

1.) the other guys on this board are correct in saying that it's unlikely you'll get a 2nd round pick for either lynch or evans... but perhaps if you cut out the middleman altogether and package them BOTH for a 1st round pick, you may get it. but you need to find a team with a good defense, and a good QB that just lacks offensive weapons right now. not sure who that would be.

2.) this plan neglects one big key, and that's the public relations aspect with the fans. sometimes you have to draft a QB ahead of a G or a OT, even if it's not the best choice, because it will give people hope and put butts in the seats. it might not be the best "football" move, but this is a business as well, and it's not going to survive without people going to the games. besides, you can always keep the newly drafted QB on the bench behind fitz/brohm for a year or so while you try to ease him into things without getting killed.

It is no mystery that year after year, the teams with the elite-level NFL quarterbacks are the teams that consistently make the playoffs. Year after year after year.

You absolutely must use any and all opportunities to draft a franchise quarterback with the hope of developing an elite-level NFL quarterback.

Without that, all you can hope for is a fleeting one year miracle run, while the teams with the elite quarterbacks make the playoffs every single year.

Is drafting a quarterback #1 a guarantee that you'll get an elite-level NFL quarterback for the next decade? Absolutely not.

But you DEFINITELY do not draft an elite-level NFL quarterback if you pick some fat lineman.

Quarterback is the single most important position in any organized team sport. They are the face of your franchise. They lend credibility and hope to a floundering organization. Hope breeds relevance which breeds respect and success.

Not drafting a quarterback #1 because you are scared he might be a bust is simply giving in to the hopelessness you feel about this franchise. You feel that the organization isn't capable of accurately evaluating talent and bringing in the right guy. Heck, you are probably right.

But you can't just ignore the most important position in sports. You can't. You can't spout this "you have to fix the offensive line or else NO quarterback can succeed!" bullcrap. Good quarterbacks do succeed behind bad offensive lines. It happens ALL OF THE TIME. The Bears went 3-0 and are now 3-1 with arguable a worse line than the Bills. The Packers had a very successful season last year with the elite-level QB play of Aaron Rodgers behind a terrible line.

Your franchise's best player needs to be your quarterback, not a 300-pounder, if you want lasting success.

Don't fool yourself. Look at the elite teams in the NFL now and see what they have in common.

Please. Don't let the Bills pass on a chance at landing an elite-level NFL quarterback. Take the chance, or you have no chance.

You forgot something, you have to be lucky enough to draft high in the draft that a Peyton Manning,John Elway, Kelly or Marino is available

Sorry guys ,this class is no better then last year and none are as good as Bradford.

I see 3 or 4 Clausens in this draft.

Edited by Another Point of View

You forgot something, you have to be lucky enough to draft high in the draft that the elite QB's are avaible.

Sorry guys ,this class is no better then last year and none are as good as Bradford.

I see 3 or 4 Clausens in this draft.

as of right now i dont see a franchise QB in the draft and that worries me, a lot. i see some good QBs with some big time flaws. ugh

I'm with you in spirit and would love nothing more than to have a Kelly, Marino or Elway on the Board next year...but we just investing a boat load of money on CJ Spiller and he and Freddy may want to actually gain some yardage on a counter play now and then...with this line, as it stands today, the Counter Trap takes on a whole new meaning.

DEFINITION: "Counter Trap" : The ability of an offensive line to move in a counterproductive manner and trap the running back in the backfield for a loss.

Don't ask me to use it in a sentence...it won't be pretty.

I have to agree with the logic about not drafting a QB. The O-line and D-line are the real problems here. Any QB playing behind this O-line will struggle, so why not fix the o-line first then you can evaluate the QB position. The d-line is pathetic and couldn't a girl scout troupe, picks need to be made on the d-line and o-line and fa signings. Football is won in the trenches on both sides of the ball and that's where next year's attention should be placed.

Agreed. We don't need another QB now. Give Fitz and BB a good line and they will perform. Draft a college star QB, put him behind our OL and he will be a bust. Fix both lines and stay with our QBs.

Draft 2011

1. QB Jake Locker, Washington. No Brainer.

2. OT Jason Pinkston, Pittsburgh. The line needs alot of help!!

3. OLB KJ Wright, Mississippi St. If you play the 3-4 you need 3-4 linebackers.

4. ILB Casey Mathews, Oregon. If you play the 3-4 you need 3-4 linebackers.

5. TE Virgil Green, Nevada. No good TE on the team.

Ut, oh, BBF, you are about to get pounded on by nearly everone on this board.

These guys made up their minds in August, we need that franchise Quarterback and they believe the new kid will fix everything.

I haven't given up on Fitz, Brohm OR Brown and I am NOT buckling to pear pressure either.

If we draft another QB this crowd will turn on this guy after the first game.

Some day, yes SOME DAY, people will realize that without an Offensive line, NO quarterback will survive.

Good luck with your thread, you're going to need it! :bag:

I see your point - I haven't been slapped around like this since my 3rd grade teacher caught me throwing wet toilet paper bombs on the celing in the bathroom.

Football is a "very" basic game. No line NO win!!! You can have god himself at quarterback and unless he uses powers that would be very unsportsmanlike he will fail just as any other awesome talent would with no protection. Even a Michael Vick type product still relies on the line to effectively execute any kind of aerial attack. How many potential QB's do you guys want to draft and ruin before we finally address the real issue. Finish building the line, then draft your answer at QB.

With a legitimate line we can stay in games with our existing talent in the backfield and address stretching the field with exisiting gamers like Fitz or Brohm till we are ready to put the next "franchise QB" back into the equation. Line FIRST then QB. The same holds true on the other side of the ball. We simply do not have the right personel to execute the style of defense that we arbitrarily switched to. Heck Trent Edwards tore our "D" up in practice. The writing was on the Wall throughout training camp. The current regime stuck bandaids on mortal gaping holes. Hindsight is 20/20 clearly the bandaids didn't work.

Put the men in the trenches and we will turn our franchise around. We have some good core talent, one really solid draft and a couple decent FA pick-ups and we could return to repectability. Then get your "franchise QB" and we can return to the playoffs. Clearly we also need the right personel in the LB corps too. This is not a single season/draft turn-around, but it will NEVER happen if they keep, making luxury drafts to sell tickets. CJ is an awesome aquisition, but clearly will be hard pressed to win any games for us on his own. Last time I checked this was a team sport and he needs a few road graders in front of him for the real magic to start happening. There are plenty more Wood and Levitre's out there and we have a couple other promising projects that by next year could be real assets, but the focus for now has to be the core of the team which is the line on both sides of the ball.

Show me any famous QB and I will show you an equally infamous line that provided him with the time and opportunity to be great!!! It starts and ends in the trenches. Always has and Always will!!! Until you address this you are wasting picks on skill position players they won't survive...

Football is a "very" basic game. No line NO win!!! You can have god himself at quarterback and unless he uses powers that would be very unsportsmanlike he will fail just as any other awesome talent would with no protection. Even a Michael Vick type product still relies on the line to effectively execute any kind of aerial attack. How many potential QB's do you guys want to draft and ruin before we finally address the real issue. Finish building the line, then draft your answer at QB.

With a legitimate line we can stay in games with our existing talent in the backfield and address stretching the field with exisiting gamers like Fitz or Brohm till we are ready to put the next "franchise QB" back into the equation. Line FIRST then QB. The same holds true on the other side of the ball. We simply do not have the right personel to execute the style of defense that we arbitrarily switched to. Heck Trent Edwards tore our "D" up in practice. The writing was on the Wall throughout training camp. The current regime stuck bandaids on mortal gaping holes. Hindsight is 20/20 clearly the bandaids didn't work.

Put the men in the trenches and we will turn our franchise around. We have some good core talent, one really solid draft and a couple decent FA pick-ups and we could return to repectability. Then get your "franchise QB" and we can return to the playoffs. Clearly we also need the right personel in the LB corps too. This is not a single season/draft turn-around, but it will NEVER happen if they keep, making luxury drafts to sell tickets. CJ is an awesome aquisition, but clearly will be hard pressed to win any games for us on his own. Last time I checked this was a team sport and he needs a few road graders in front of him for the real magic to start happening. There are plenty more Wood and Levitre's out there and we have a couple other promising projects that by next year could be real assets, but the focus for now has to be the core of the team which is the line on both sides of the ball.

Show me any famous QB and I will show you an equally infamous line that provided him with the time and opportunity to be great!!! It starts and ends in the trenches. Always has and Always will!!! Until you address this you are wasting picks on skill position players they won't survive...

[/quote

In case anyone is wondering....no, I did not pay him to say that and he is not a blood relative of mine.

LOL...well said.

There is a simple answer, but that answer isn't available yet.

1)We have to know what spot the Bills are drafting

2)We have to wait until the college season plays out

3)We have to see who among the underclassmen comes out

4)We have to see how the college players perform post season-combine, interviews, private workouts.

5)If the team has a franchise grade on the best QB who is available at the Bills pick, and he's passed all their off field tests-they must take him. If they don't have a franchise grade on a guy at their pick, they shore up other positions. If they don't draft the franchise, they'll probably be drafting high enough in 2012 to go through this process again.

Franchise QBs are almost exclusively available through the draft. Most of the other positions of need can be attained through free agency if they're willing to pay enough. Plenty of good offensive linemen have been drafted in the late 1st & the 2nd rounds. In 1986 we traded back into the 1st to pick Wolford.

The key is you just don't draft any QB with a top pick just because he's a media & draftnik darling. There were HUGE red flags on the 2 biggest recent QB busts, Leaf & Russell way before the draft. The Chargers & Raiders ignored them. You can't pick a QB with a weight and/or attitude problem, give him millions & expect him to grow up.

There is no blanket statement, do or don't draft a QB if you have the top pick-it really depends on who the #1 ranked QB is. If he's a P.Manning type, you're out of your mind to say don't draft him. If he's a fat lazy bum like JaMarcus Russell, then you're out of your mind if you say draft him.