Evidence that we need a FO overhaul

Thanks to Tim Graham (good work Tim - keep it up) I can beef up my case for a complete revision of the FO personnel department. How do you spell whiff?

How are Buffalo's past seven first-round draft picks doing? Receiver Lee Evans (13th overall in 2004) has zero catches. Safety Donte Whitner (eighth overall in 2006) has been invisible. Defensive lineman John McCargo (26th overall in 2006) is a healthy scratch. Running back Marshawn Lynch (12th overall in 2007) has two carries for 3 yards. Cornerback Leodis McKelvin (11th overall in 2008) got torched on a 41-yard touchdown strike. Outside linebacker Aaron Maybin (11th overall in 2009) barely has stepped on the field. Right guard Eric Wood (28th overall in 2009) has a holding penalty to put the Bills at second-and-19 at their own 11-yard line. Running back C.J. Spiller (ninth overall this year) has zero rush attempts and one catch for 4 yards.

Tim Graham Halftime Observations

This goes beyond the CEO, GM and Coach. This is a corporate problem. IMO.

Thanks to Tim Graham (good work Tim - keep it up) I can beef up my case for a complete revision of the FO personnel department. How do you spell whiff?

I imagine that if its a corporate problem, it doesn't go much past the CEO, but regardless I agree. Can Ralph Wilson please sell the team?

Didn't we just have a FO overhaul?

No. We didn't.

The GM Job came down to 2 in-house candidates: John Guy and Buddy Nix.

The guy running our drafts, Tom Modrak, is still running our drafts.

Who knows how much influence Brandon, Littman, and Overdorf have retained. But they're all still there.

You cannot have an overhaul when all of the same cast of characters are there, but just in new roles.

No. We didn't.

Who knows how much influence Brandon, Littman, and Overdorf have retained. But they're all still there.

You cannot have an overhaul when all of the same cast of characters are there, but just in new roles.

And the disease starts at the top with our addled owner.

It doesn't look like it. Yes, Nix has a new title, and is now the guy who deals with the media, but it doesn't appear that the organization has really changed the way it does business. When there's a true FO overhaul, typically you see a lot of veteran cuts, replaced by players who are more the new GM's guys. Especially when you have a drastic change in scheme like we had on defense. An overhauled FO probably would've cut Trent, Kelsay, probably traded Marshawn, etc. Instead we got more of the same. And don't tell me about how many roster spots turned over this year. Every team turns over a third of its roster every year. On opening day, there were only 4 starters that were new personnel:

1.) Spiller, although he's being used lightly in a timeshare, and neither of last year's backs was moved.

2.) Cornell Green, who stinks and was only signed because Brad Butler retired. The Bills would have been happy to run back last year's opening day line this year.

3&4.) Dwan Edwards & Andra Davis, who actually fit the mold of new guys being brought in to fit the new scheme.

Reggie Torbor didn't play in week 1, but should probably be mentioned, since he typically starts at OLB. He was a Dolphins' camp cut and has been moved to a new position.

That's not much roster turnover where it counts. All the changes so far have been largely cosmetic, except for the move to a 3-4, which unsurprisingly has blow up in our faces.

As long as the Bills front office (Ralph included) continues to bring in re-treads (Gailey), and allow them to bring in their buddies to run the game (Edwards), they will continue to be a disgrace and the lauhging stock of the NFL. During today's game, the announcer stated that Gailey told them in an interview yesterday that the O-Line lacks talent. Then why in the hell did they not draft someone instead of going after a luxury pick? The defense is void of any talent for this 3-4 scheme. They didn't address it enough during the offseason to plug in the right people. But yet they extend Kelsay's contract. WTF???? Edwards looks as freaking lost as the defensive players do! No adjustments, same defensive looks play after play. The game has passed Gailey by. He's had all offseason to figure out what the hell he has for talent. And yet he's still reshuffeling the deck. This is ludicrous. I'll laugh my ass off if the Jags come in next week and totally destroy the Bills offense. And they should.

This team is pathetic and the players should be ashamed of themselves. How dare they call themselves "professionals"? I'm tired of the post game excuses as to why they lost. BTW Donte, get used to the other teams laughing at you. The unfortunate thing is that the fans continue to put up with the medicore teams that have been fielded for the past 11 years. But we continue to support them because that's our team. There is no excitement anymore. We do nothing to upgrade this team and yet we as fans sit and watch our opponents year in and year out, upgrade and make themselves contenders. Face it, the Bills are "has beens" and never will amount to anythng again as long as Ralph continues to meddle and hire incompetence. But by then, it'll be too late and they will be gone.

At this rate, they'll be lucky to win a game this year. And if we get the first pick of the draft next year, I guarentee the FO will screw that up. I say play the new guys for the remainder of the season to get the experience and let Brohm QB. What does the team have to lose, they sure aren't winning any games.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but this is so frustrating. We as fans need to send a message loud and clear that enough is enough. I think we have endured enough. The remaining games should be boycotted. I'm sorry for those who have season tickets. The games are no longer any fun to watch. Yes, I'll probably be told by some to go find another team to support, that I'm not loyal. I'm just as diehard of a fan as the rest of you, but the BS way this teams plays week in and week out needs to stop!!!!!

No... I wouldn't even call it a tune up. What they did is promote a retired scout to GM, a loser OC to HC, a loser COO to VP, and brought in another pro scout to run pro personnel. Mudrack and Overdork are still here. None of these guys have proven anything to deserve the jobs they have. There were much better people still out there that would have done a better job. Ralph won't pay top dollar. It's purely business with him. Winning is number 27 on his list of priorities.

I think 77,000 people need to stand up to Ralph stay home next week... and the other 6 games.

No. We didn't.

Right on! Many of us knew this was coming since last winter, when it was time for Ralph Wilson to put his money where his mouth is. After that bull about paying top dollar for elite football guys, he sent the most emphatic message that it was all just spin, when he hired an old scout. That, and a series of moves that all shouted "cheap" and "I'm not really committed to winning," and still several fans believed. Well, those of you who continue to support the Bills are inadvertantly sending Wilson the message that he can continue to screw us without any consequences. So we have the team and staff we deserve.

Geez, guys, if it looks like a fish and smells like a fish, chances are it's a fish. We can do something about it, but not if you still keep sending Wilson the money.

Edited by BillsfaninFl

During today's game, the announcer stated that Gailey told them in an interview yesterday that the O-Line lacks talent. Then why in the hell did they not draft someone instead of going after a luxury pick?

Exactly. WTF?

These guys suck...let's sign a guy run our of Oakland who sucks and draft some Chinese dude in the 5th round.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

In normal organizations the GM has control over football operations. In Buffalo, there's a GM who's actually been in NFL personnel before (finally) and a Senior VP of Football Administration. It's time to get rid of the guys who've survived all the firings: Overdorf and Modrak. Those guys are as teflon as John Gotti.

If RW cared he'd have demanded these guys be gone years ago. Heck, Overdorf cuts guys and doesn't tell anyone. The Bills define dysfunctional in their front office.

"I respect _______ so much that I'd gladly take a pay cut to play for him."

That is a phrase we haven't heard in Buffalo for many moons. Quite the opposite - I fear that any talented free agent won't even give us a thought without getting a ridiculously overpriced deal.

Modrak, Guy, and the rest of the "braintrust" has put us into a hole so deep, that it's going to take some dramatic stroke of good luck to turn around this rickety broken-down ship.

You're smarter than that, Nick. We just had an overhaul. You know as well as anyone else things take time, especially when Nix was given a bag of dung as full as the roster he was given.

I imagine that if its a corporate problem, it doesn't go much past the CEO, but regardless I agree. Can Ralph Wilson please sell the team?

I've been dismissive of this opinion in the past but i'm starting to believe that it's the SOLE reason behind everything since the departure of Polian.

You're smarter than that, Nick. We just had an overhaul. You know as well as anyone else things take time, especially when Nix was given a bag of dung as full as the roster he was given.

And what, pray tell, has Nix done to take the first steps of improvement? How many of his vaunted first-year draft picks are starting? ZERO.

How about his FA aqcuisitions? Oh, that's right. Nix was sleeping when FA started. Looks like he slept through the whole period, frankly.

Edited by Joe In Macungie