Johnson fined $10K for celebration

Beerball

Give me a break. It didn't deserve a flag, and it doesn't deserve a fine on top of it.

Why is it that Johnson gets a $10k fine for mimicking a mascot, but Frank Zombo only gets a $7,500 fine for a helmet-to-helmet hit on the Packers' quarterback...? <_<

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2010/10/1/1723980/frank-zombo-fined-7500-for-hit-on-cutler

Oh yeah, the Packers don't play in New England.

On one hand I don't really thing what Johnson did deserved a penalty much less a fine, but on the other hands, players on winless terrible teams shouldn't celebrate at all until they start winning. That is the problem with most of todays players, it is "me" not "team". I think that started back with Deion Sanders, the original "Me" player. Seems like we were beating them (Falcons) by about 50 points when he returned a punt or kick back for a TD and shoved the ball in the Bills players face. That is the ultimate Non-Team player.

On one hand I don't really thing what Johnson did deserved a penalty much less a fine, but on the other hands, players on winless terrible teams shouldn't celebrate at all until they start winning. That is the problem with most of todays players, it is "me" not "team". I think that started back with Deion Sanders, the original "Me" player. Seems like we were beating them (Falcons) by about 50 points when he returned a punt or kick back for a TD and shoved the ball in the Bills players face. That is the ultimate Non-Team player.

It the Bills were still down by 30 points after his score, I'd agree. But they were keeping it close, and were only one score down after his TD. He was excited about it, and I understand that. It was a nice play.

His celebration was hardly excessive and DEFINITELY does not deserve a $10k fine.

Seems like an eternity since teams were celebrating TDs in organized fashion - the Saints doing the leapfrog immediately comes to mind. The NFL didn't like these organized celebrations, so they were banned. Then, players began to use props - TO's sharpie, Horn's cell phone, and the NFL didn't like this, so the props were also banned. Now, in individual celebrations, players aren't even allowed to act in any demonstrative way, aside from fist pumps, or giving hugs. An age old celebration of spiking the ball was also banned (which is ridiculous). The props and organized celebrations I can understand, but allow players to have some sort of personality on the field. If Steve J. wanted to celebrate his TD in a creative, non-damaging/non-disrespectful way, then allow him to do so! The game is much different than the others, because players have to play behind helmets. Allow them to retain their individuality on the field. Goodell runs the NFL like a military unit. No personalities are allowed.

It the Bills were still down by 30 points after his score, I'd agree. But they were keeping it close, and were only one score down after his TD. He was excited about it, and I understand that. It was a nice play.

His celebration was hardly excessive and DEFINITELY does not deserve a $10k fine.

If they want to fine him, that's fine, but it's a ridiculous double standard if they go after this stuff but don't do anything about the defenders who run 15 yards up field to celebrate every tackle. Hell, one Patriot did that last week to celebrate a false start. It's just plain stupid.

The last team Godell will show favouritism towards is the Pats (Jets of course) so that angle doesn't work well.

I wonder why no Packer players are fined for drawing attention towards themselves by using Lambeau stadium and its fans as a prop as they leap into the stands?

Don't break the rules and you won't be fined

What are the rules? I see players do things like that all the time and not get a penalty, let alone a fine. How can you play within the rules when the rules are not consistent consistently explained and enforced?

What we're missing is that it had to do with an inappropriate gesture. Firing a gun is inappropriate in this day and age, just like slitting the throat.

If that's the case, then we shouldn't have men dressed up with replica guns in the endzone. The NFL shouldn't be able to have it both ways. This would be different if Johnson pretended to shoot a ref or if he 'aimed' his non-gun at the Minutemen. He simply mimicked what they do.

Anyone complaining about this penalty does not watch the NFL.

He knew he was going to get fined when he did it.

The coaches knew he was going to get fined.

Everyone in the stadium knew he was going to get fined.

For future, every single time a player is flagged for excessive celebration, there is a fine. 100% of the time.

Whenever you do a choreographed celebration or use props of any kind, it is excessive celebration.

This is not a surprise.

Maybe you can be surprised that it was 10K instead of 5K, but it was gun related. Welcome to the NFL.

Stevie's only making 300-500K so I hope the fine is tax deductible for him. The NFL says it goes to charity. 10K is almost half a game check for him.

Edited by Levitre + Wang = Wood