DC George Edwards -- does he ever give interviews?

ChasBB

I'm just curious because I do not believe I have seen a single interview with George Edwards since he was originally hired. It's no big deal, of course. It's not like coordinators give press conferences every week or anything like that -- I understand that. However, I've just not seen a peep from him since his hiring and I do routinely go to BuffaloBills.com and read and watch about everything. Maybe he's just a guy that doesn't like to talk to the press. That's fine. I have no problem with that. I'm just wondering if anyone else kind of noticed that he's quiet on the media front?

I'm just curious because I do not believe I have seen a single interview with George Edwards since he was originally hired. It's no big deal, of course. It's not like coordinators give press conferences every week or anything like that -- I understand that. However, I've just not seen a peep from him since his hiring and I do routinely go to BuffaloBills.com and read and watch about everything. Maybe he's just a guy that doesn't like to talk to the press. That's fine. I have no problem with that. I'm just wondering if anyone else kind of noticed that he's quiet on the media front?

Well, when your sitting at the press table next to Curtis Modkin, it's impossible to get a word in.

Only the H.C. is allowed to speak to the media. No other coordinator is allowed to. Just the rules i guess.

Well, when your sitting at the press table next to Curtis Modkin, it's impossible to get a word in.

I think I get your point -- that you don't hear a heck of a lot from Modkins, either. However, I can say that I have at least seen him quoted here & there and I do believe I did see at least one interview with him either during OTAs or training camp, but just nothing at all from Edwards. Also, Gailey is effectively the OC, as well, with the plan of Modkins gradually assuming more control over time, but Gailey made it clear from the get-go that he was in charge of the offense. So, with that in mind, I wouldn't expect to hear a whole lot from Modkins. However, on the defensive side of things, I would have expected that George Edwards would have a little more face time with interviews and such. Again, I know it's not important, but I would kind of like to see at least one interview with Edwards -- sort of a "state of the union" on the defense.

Only the H.C. is allowed to speak to the media. No other coordinator is allowed to. Just the rules i guess.

Untrue. From the current league media-access policy:

Assistant Coaches – Through their public relations department, clubs must provide regular and reasonable access to assistant coaches for media interviews that serve the best interests of the club and league. This access will include the availability to media that regularly cover the club of the offensive and defensive coordinators at least o­nce during every practice week of the regular and postseason for a minimum of 10-15 minutes, beginning with the week leading to Week 1 of the regular season. For clubs who do not have an offensive or defensive coordinator, or whose head coach serves in that capacity, another coach or executive that is knowledgeable about the offense or defense must fulfill this weekly obligation. Coordinators and other primary position coaches must be available o­n a reasonable basis during training camp and throughout the season through the team public relations department. Clubs may not put assistant coaches off limits to the media and may not unreasonably withhold permission for primary position coaches or coordinators to speak to the media. Access to assistant coaches o­n game day is a club decision. For offensive and defensive coordinators, game-day access would be in addition to the mandatory access at least o­nce during every practice week.

Lori -- GREAT information -- thanks. Now it is even more interesting that he has been completely mum since February.

Who knows ... maybe he's just not that interesting. ;)

Kidding aside, this came up during training camp -- heard through secondhand sources that someone gave Maiorana problems when he wanted to write a feature on Bruce DeHaven's return -- so I looked up the updated policy. (Understandably, Gailey does some things differently than Jauron and his predecessors did. Think they cleared everything up and Sal wrote his story.)

And you guys are right. Just searched for his name in the transcripts over at bb.com and came up empty. Have to think there are a few quotes floating around out there, though, when guys ask him about specific players or game situations...

Who knows ... maybe he's just not that interesting. ;)

Kidding aside, this came up during training camp -- heard through secondhand sources that someone gave Maiorana problems when he wanted to write a feature on Bruce DeHaven's return -- so I looked up the updated policy. (Understandably, Gailey does some things differently than Jauron and his predecessors did. Think they cleared everything up and Sal wrote his story.)

And you guys are right. Just searched for his name in the transcripts over at bb.com and came up empty. Have to think there are a few quotes floating around out there, though, when guys ask him about specific players or game situations...

In a way, I'm kind of glad to hear the Bills keep their assistants on a short leash in regards to their interactions with the media as you never know what they may say, but it does seem they could ease up a tad -- especially with the coordinators.

Yeah, that's about the last thing I recall seeing from him.