Who wants Edwards?

thewildrabbit

""The Lions, Browns and Panthers didn't put in a waiver claim on free agent QB Trent Edwards, so the winless 49ers can have him if they want him, according to NFL.com's Jason La Canfora.""

http://twitter.com/J...tus/25797077307

""The Niners and Seahawks have been reported to have interest in the former Bill. If Edwards is claimed by San Francisco, it's possible he could challenge Alex Smith for the starting job at some point this season.""

http://www.rotoworld....aspx?sport=NFL

http://profootballta...-trent-edwards/

We will know by 4PM today who will end up with Trinty, most likely the 0-3, 49ers... Jeez, outta the frying pan and into the fire....:w00t:

Edited by Harvey lives

That was NE*, not the Bills. I can't imagine Chan Gaileys playbook or gameplan for this week is causing Rex Ryan to lose any sleep.

We beat the Jets in week 6 last season, in New Jersey. We just put up 30 points on the Cheatriettes* in NE*. Trent Edwards knows our offense (can't execute it, but knows the playbook), the Jets are in a fight for the division against NE*, and Rex Ryan has a history of sleazy moves like this (as does Belicheat*).

That's all I'm sayin'.

We beat the Jets in week 6 last season, in New Jersey. We just put up 30 points on the Cheatriettes* in NE*. Trent Edwards knows our offense (can't execute it, but knows the playbook), the Jets are in a fight for the division against NE*, and Rex Ryan has a history of sleazy moves like this (as does Belicheat*).

That's all I'm sayin'.

I agree with the bolded part. The rest, IMO, is irrelevant.

Guest dog14787

Yahoo sports blog, ESPN reports that "at least five teams expect to place a claim on Edwards":

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Five-teams-claiming-Bills-QB-Edwards-?urn=nfl-272924

Speculation New England may also be interested

Note: nothing about the 49ers at all

Updating: the 49ers opted not to put in a waiver claim on QB Trent Edwards.

Edited by dog14787

That's all I'm sayin'.

Maybe our guys should start being more sleazy. Then they might win like Ryan and Bellicheat. But on another note, where is your team when you outright release your starting qb? And replace him with Fitzpatrick to top it off. Were screwed for years to come

Edited by Dante

Yahoo sports blog, ESPN reports that "at least five teams expect to place a claim on Edwards":

http://sports.yahoo....?urn=nfl-272924

Speculation New England may also be interested

Note: nothing about the 49ers at all

Updating: the 49ers opted not to put in a waiver claim on QB Trent Edwards.

He might actually clear waivers....

Linky about the 49ers

http://www.rotoworld...e=183813&spln=1

If he clears waivers he is then free to go where he wants

Maybe our guys should start being more sleazy. Then they might win like Ryan and Bellicheat. But on another note, where is your team when you outright release your starting qb? And replace him with Fitzpatrick to top it off. Were screwed for years to come

Amidst all the speculation Gailey stated he released Edwards based on Fitz's performance against the Patriots, aaannnnddd what happens when Fitz craps the bed against the Jets-Ravens-Steelers?

Bills re-signed QB Levi Brown.

Coach Chan Gailey made the determination that he wasn't going to turn back to Trent Edwards after Ryan Fitzpatrick's Week 3 performance. Gailey will carry the seventh-round pick as a developmental quarterback instead, pushing Brian Brohm into the No. 2 role.

Edited by Harvey lives

Trent wasn't a bad guy, just not a great QB, regardless of whether or not its Adrian Wilson's fault. San Francisco would have been a great place for him to land as a backup for a few years before he completely washes out of the league, so I'm sorry that didn't work out. Wherever he lands I wish him the best of luck...as long as it's not against us.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Five-teams-claiming-Bills-QB-Edwards-?urn=nfl-272924

Edited by Leonidas

If SF puts a claim the Jets can't get him.

Yes, C2, I understand the waiver process - for weeks I've been saying that Edwards will be out of football before the season starts; now, I'm saying no one will claim him. The Jets are his last chance to pick up another $$hundred grand$$ or so before beginning his new career in Silicon Valley.

Yes, C2, I understand the waiver process - for weeks I've been saying that Edwards will be out of football before the season starts; now, I'm saying no one will claim him. The Jets are his last chance to pick up another $$hundred grand$$ or so before beginning his new career in Silicon Valley.

I was a supporter of Trent as many are aware. I also support this move because it is right for the team. But I don't think it is right to joke about this stuff. Sometimes we are just thoughtless.

It reminds of the time that I saw the ambulance screaming down Main Street and didn't give it a thought. But it was my Uncle Eugene, he died on October the 2nd 1981. It is so hard to believe it will be 19 years next week. Getting cut from a football team is not exactly like what happened to Geno, but it is a tough thing. Give the guy a break.

I was a supporter of Trent as many are aware. I also support this move because it is right for the team. But I don't think it is right to joke about this stuff. Sometimes we are just thoughtless.

It reminds of the time that I saw the ambulance screaming down Main Street and didn't give it a thought. But it was my Uncle Eugene, he died on October the 2nd 1981. It is so hard to believe it will be 19 years next week. Getting cut from a football team is not exactly like what happened to Geno, but it is a tough thing. Give the guy a break.

What you have to realize is that Trent was born a full two years after your Uncle Geno passed, so it's a bit of a reach comparing the two circumstances. Also, there is a huge demand for hand models - particularly glove models - in Northern California, so Trent's opportunities would have been better there than if he had continued to work for Ralph.

But alas, it was not meant to be - Trent is now a Jaguar, perhaps appropriate for someone from Los Gatos...

Jaguars have claimed QB Trent Edwards

...and will have to wait another 2 weeks 'til after we play them to begin his new hand job.

Edited by The Senator

UPDATE:

""The only other team that put in a claim for Edwards was the New York Jets, a source told ESPN Senior NFL Analyst Chris Mortensen, but the Jaguars were awarded the former Bills quarterback on the basis of their 1-2 record.""

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5626649

Clearly the Jags needed a backup QB with NFL experience, I doubt the Jags will pull what the Jets wanted to do...sign the guy and pick his brain till they play the Bills, then cut him.

What you have to realize is that Trent was born a full two years after your Uncle Geno passed, so it's a bit of a reach comparing the two circumstances. Also, there is a huge demand for hand models - particularly glove models - in Northern California, so Trent's opportunities would have been better there than if he had continued to work for Ralph.

But alas, it was not meant to be - Trent is now a Jaguar, perhaps appropriate for someone from Los Gatos...

Jaguars have claimed QB Trent Edwards

...and will have to wait another 2 weeks 'til after we play them to begin his new hand job.

Of course you are right that it was 29 years ago; not 19 as I made a typographical error. Despite my poor typing I still think that Geno's story is relevant as it is timeless. Making jokes about someone's demise is not nice.

Yes, being cut from a football team is different than dying but still it is a tough thing to go through. My cousin Callaway died when he'd barely turned two. It was peanut butter and jelly that did because the help didn't know what to do. She just stood there as Callaway turned blue. The thing is that although it happened a long time ago, we still think of him as a two year old and will probably always think of Trent as the QB that could have been.