A low point in Bills Defensive Line History

flopagamo

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010092603/2010/REG3/bills@patriots#tab:watch

Roll to about the halfway point of the highlight package... just after Spiller's KR TD, you'll see Brady "scramble" for a drive-sustaining first down. Take a good look at the line on this play.

1) Check Maybin rushing on the right end. Yikes.

2) Now roll it back and watch again. As Brady starts to move to his right to run, notice the posture of the linemen. Except for the left tackle (who is dusting himself off after burying Maybin), all the Pats* O-Linemen are standing up. All of the Bills pash rushers are sprawled on the turf in a neat little pile.

I can't recall ever seeing an entire line get so dominated on one play. <Deep, pained sigh.>

Roll to about the halfway point of the highlight package... just after Spiller's KR TD, you'll see Brady "scramble" for a drive-sustaining first down. Take a good look at the line on this play.

2) Now roll it back and watch again. As Brady starts to move to his right to run, notice the posture of the linemen. Except for the left tackle (who is dusting himself off after burying Maybin), all the Pats* O-Linemen are standing up. All of the Bills pash rushers are sprawled on the turf in a neat little pile.

I can't recall ever seeing an entire line get so dominated on one play. <Deep, pained sigh.>

Thanks for Sharing... our d-line looked like school girls out there - no push, np pressure, and knocked back on their collective weak rears more often than not. That video says it all the Pats O-Line standing with our D laying at their feet.

How do you fix guys who just play weak??

Sigh...X2

Love the 3-4....great switch for probably the worst personnel group in the NFL to run it

But I thought switching to a 3-4 would automatically make the defense stellar! Because most other teams are doing it! Last time I listen to posters.

Sheesh, talk about being man-handled. Thanks for posting this. We need to get more stout in the center of the line and have more strength at the ends. I hope they start to work Carrington into the lineup soon. They may as well start giving him some playing time.

Isn't "tackling" a defensive player a penalty?

No, not if you're the Pats*

These guys ar mot getting tackled, they are getting pancaked, especially Maybin. PLease do not imply there is something illegal not being called here, they are just being physically dominated.

Exactly. Getting shoved to the ground isn't a tackle.

Thanks for the video flop; I laughed out loud when I watched that scramble play again. You're right....four offensive linemen literally standing there with nothing else to do on the play. Unreal.

A new low point in video analysis and posting more like it - sorry.

1) Checking my roster, yes - here it is - MAYBIN IS AN LB - NOT A DL!! And yes, Maybin still sux.

2) No push? The other three rushers were more than 5 yards into the backfield. 3 defenders working against 4 OL.

3) Stroud is not on the field - he's #99 for future reference. "LE" was our young 2nd string OLB Chris Ellis, and he lets himself get shoved to the inside, which is where they lose contain. It's also where he runs into Dwan Edwards' legs from behind and knocks him down - not the Patriots doing or any physical failure on Edwards' part - just a raw rookie getting out of position.

4) Williams is knocked down eventually by two OL. Whatever.

Sure - it sounds cute - but actually looking at the video eliminates your point. There were only 2 D-linemen on the field on that play.

The DL is not a weakness of this team. The LB's, on the other hand, are a serious weakness.

Edited by BobChalmers

A new low point in video analysis and posting more like it - sorry.

1) Checking my roster, yes - here it is - MAYBIN IS AN LB - NOT A DL!! And yes, Maybin still sux.

2) No push? The other three rushers were more than 5 yards into the backfield. 3 defenders working against 4 OL.

3) Stroud is not on the field - he's #99 for future reference. "LE" was our young 2nd string OLB Chris Ellis, and he lets himself get shoved to the inside, which is where they lose contain. It's also where he runs into Dwan Edwards' legs from behind and knocks him down - not the Patriots doing or any physical failure on Edwards' part - just a raw rookie getting out of position.

4) Williams is knocked down eventually by two OL. Whatever.

Sure - it sounds cute - but actually looking at the video eliminates your point. There were only 2 D-linemen on the field on that play.

The DL is not a weakness of this team. The LB's, on the other hand, are a serious weakness.

You got me. I should retitle the post "A low point in Bills Pass Rush history". Forgive me. Now then -- 4 guys rushing the passer, never getting near the QB, and all end up on their cans, with OLinemen all upright. Still shamefully bad.

Also -- when they are on the field at full strength, the DLinemen consistently generate no pass rush whatsoever. That is a weakness.

These guys ar mot getting tackled, they are getting pancaked, especially Maybin. PLease do not imply there is something illegal not being called here, they are just being physically dominated.

Exactly. In Maybin's case, getting blown over from the breeze of Matt Light lifting his little finger doesn't count as "a tackle".

It was a comical play. They look like a bunch of bowling pins falling down...

Edited by Sisyphean Bills

You got me. I should retitle the post "A low point in Bills Pass Rush history". Forgive me. Now then -- 4 guys rushing the passer, never getting near the QB, and all end up on their cans, with OLinemen all upright. Still shamefully bad.

Sorry to harsh you out!

I guess my main point - other to keep the story straight that we need to draft OLB(s) not DE(s) - is that the play wasn't quite as bad as it looked - Maybin sucked, but Edwards was undone by Ellis running into him, and Williams was alone against 2 guys.

It did look bad though.

Edited by BobChalmers